The online racing simulator
Is S3 the last update?
(86 posts, started )
Is S3 the last update?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_racing

Quote from Wikipedia :A small, 3-man team is developing Live for Speed, which has just announced the third, and final phase of a 3-phase development cycle. Phase 2 brought in many updates, including the first real cars (The BMW Sauber F1 car being included in those), however for Phase 3 the first real-world circuit has been announced - The Rockingham Motor Speedway.[23] The circuit will be laser-scanned for absolute accuracy. Also coming soon is another real-world car - the new VW Scirocco; for which several physics changes have had to be made to ensure a fully accurate simulation.[24]

So, will there be anything after S3. Or will we be left forever alone?
My understanding is that S3 is the last "development" [ as in Alpha ] cycle, in which LFS would go beta afterwards.

Thats how I have seen it to be the whole time.
S2 is in its 7th year, just think of how long S3 will be.
Timeless?
Well that's how S2 currently feels, so might even have to invent a new word.
like somthing that is bad and wrong,....BADONG!!!

greetz

der weird Al butz
I always see LFS like that good bottle of wine, you have for special occasions.
You drink and you realise the taste is still good, but nothing new is there.
No, S3 is not the last stage.
Scawen mentioned some years back that if their motivation was still up when done with S3, they would continue developing the game further.
Their aim is to simulate most aspects of motorsport (from rallycross to Nascar), and therfor the product maybe never will be complete.
Quote from der butz :like somthing that is bad and wrong,....BADONG!!!

greetz

der weird Al butz

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=badong

Not original enough.

Quote from Dennis93 :I always see LFS like that good bottle of wine, you have for special occasions.

However you wouldn't mind the producers of that wine to enhance the flavor a bit more.

@TVE: RallyPack after S3 clearly.
**** I am misserable again...
Forever Rallypack..
Quote from Dennis93 :I always see LFS like that good bottle of wine, you have for special occasions.

Yeah.

iRacing, rF2 and C.A.R.S are bad wines in a fancy bottle.
I started wondering about the Live for Speed S3 Minimum System Requirements when I realized how underequipped I am for rfactor2 beta.

What are the untouched qualities of LFS S2:

1) Perfect netcode for soo many cars.

2) Zero loading time for tracks and car setups..

3) Great community

4) Low hardware minimum system requirements

I understand that development also means groth in hardware demand.

I just wonder how far this will go with S3.

It would be great if developers would give as hints about that as soon as

possible...
http://www.lfs.net/?page=oldernews

Quote :added fri, Nov. 29th, 2002 06:00 AM
>We have release plans!
Hello Racers!

The LFS development team has come up with a plan for Release 1.

Firstly, note that Release 1 is intended to be a complete product and will contain a range from road cars, through modified rallycross cars and up to GT cars. Karting, single seaters and buggies are to be left out of Release 1 and will come out in later releases. That was decided a while ago but please read on to find out about the new Release 1 plan.

Note : all dates given in this announcement are only estimates - not promises.

The next proper update is Demo Test 0.2 - this will be very like the current Demo Test and of course free of charge but will contain mainly improvements to the tyre physics and multiplayer system including qualifying, better reliability and reduced lag. In addition there will be minor improvements to the track and the car models including working dials and so on, non-uk keyboard support, clutch and shifter support with associated engine damage and some other things that have been mentioned on the Suggestions for Improvement forum. We may include a skid pad as well. This is expected in early January 2003.

Our new plan for Release 1 is to release it in 4 downloadable stages, we will charge a price for these - each one at 25% of the total price of Release 1.

The first 25% release will come out a few weeks after Demo Test 0.2 after sorting out any bugs or problems that come up. So - we estimate early February 2003. It will contain the 3 cars from the Demo Test and 3 more road-style cars including one or two four wheel drives. Two extra tracks will be included - a city track and a country track with a few configs in each. More music will be included as well. At that stage neither the full damage system nor all the planned improvements to graphics and sound will have been done - the idea is that while Eric is continuing to add or finish more tracks and cars for subsequent releases, I will be continuing to develop the program all the time as well on the way to Release 1.

The next three 25% releases will contain in the region of 4 cars and 3 tracks each and will come out at intervals of 2 or 3 months. The 4 stages are downloadable and a CD will become available when the full Release 1 is completed (i.e. the 4th stage is finished).

We like this plan a lot because we avoid any need for the services of a publisher, the community will no longer be bored with the same cars and tracks, we start to earn a living, we continue learning and improving our methods with each 25% release, and the whole thing builds up in a way that we can handle.

Well Dandy.

If we take S1->S2, there wasn't much of a change, it was basically just a few colours, a bit brighter, new tracks and updated physics.

So i don't believe LFS wants to go mainstream with what we're seeing (rF2, iR etc.) and use this sort of Next Generation Graphics, nor do i see a reason for them to do so. Sure a few of the cars, needs a facelift hands down, there is still quite a lot of bugs around the older tracks and even still some on newer S2 tracks.

And you're talking about a perfect netcode? Can you difine?.

I've raced a few time in the 'Torsdagsrace' weekly event and their server only have a 7ms ping to me, and contact is something that you can do easely without going into orbit.

Even on Cargame.nl contact happens, and it's very rare that either I or someone else gets netcoded, because simply LFS has the best netcode out in the simracing world at the moment, even though strange things tend to happen.
This might just be me, but I think S1/S2 was a big step forward. The cars and tracks that were introduced were on a whole new graphical level and quality than the previous version.
Quote from The Very End :This might just be me, but I think S1/S2 was a big step forward. The cars and tracks that were introduced were on a whole new graphical level and quality than the previous version.

See through windows, and?
Stop beeing difficoult :`(
Oh, I got one: Damage
Believing in S3 is like believing in rapture. Some people passionately believe in it but it's seriously unlikely to ever happen.

Quote from The Very End :Stop beeing difficoult :`(
Oh, I got one: Damage

I already said that.

Nevertheless i was not able to see any MASSIVE difference in frames drop.

@ Tacticalnoob, It's probably not easy for people who are manio skizofrenic to understand, Sorry!
Quote from TacTicalNoob :

Rofl!

Quote from Dennis93 :I already said that.

Nevertheless i was not able to see any MASSIVE difference in frames drop.

@ Tacticalnoob, It's probably not easy for people who are manio skizofrenic to understand, Sorry!

Dajmn!
Well, let's agree that there changes was not _that_ big, but significant.

I do hope the changes between S2 and S3 are at least as much as S1 / S2.

Where is the night / day and rain?
#24 - troy
Personally I would like to see LFS concentrate on it's core strength, if we're honest there is a lot of stuff that LFS has fallen behind it's competition, the only part where it is still miles ahead of anything is endurance racing and that's where the focus should be. We got stable netcode, flawless systems to incorporate driver changes and plenty of community based addons to make LFS THE endu sim. There are some key components missing to catapult it in new spheres though, dynamic lightning (day/night), dynamic ambient temperature, wear on mechanical parts, more server slots.

I probably forgot something important but these would be my "must have" additions to stop the 24h of hotlapping, get some of the key endurance racing aspects in the sim and make it stand out of the strong competition there is these days in the simracing market.
Quote from troy :Personally I would like to see LFS concentrate on it's core strength, if we're honest there is a lot of stuff that LFS has fallen behind it's competition, the only part where it is still miles ahead of anything is endurance racing and that's where the focus should be. We got stable netcode, flawless systems to incorporate driver changes and plenty of community based addons to make LFS THE endu sim. There are some key components missing to catapult it in new spheres though, dynamic lightning (day/night), dynamic ambient temperature, wear on mechanical parts, more server slots.

I probably forgot something important but these would be my "must have" additions to stop the 24h of hotlapping, get some of the key endurance racing aspects in the sim and make it stand out of the strong competition there is these days in the simracing market.

Oh yes. In endu races LFS is still top of the hill and to focus on that would be great.

Is S3 the last update?
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG