The online racing simulator
Quote from Bose321 :Yeah, it's rounded up (was more like 26), but the scene is more complicated then you might think.

you have to try lower the quality
I did this with v-ray, it is my first attempt with v-ray

http://youtu.be/rxNzBSQSbTM
Quote from AleBerB :you have to try lower the quality
I did this with v-ray, it is my first attempt with v-ray

http://youtu.be/rxNzBSQSbTM

Sure, but that's a rather simple scene ofcourse. A scene like that wouldn't be hard for me either. I could do a video of a normal scene.
ye thats scene takes like 10 minutes but what bose has is prolly close to a million polys if not more. and that takes a lot of time on an underpowered pc
just playing around with color correction with an old render...
Attached images
FZR_spdo2_out.jpg
Quote from Bose321 :Of what? That scene? I don't have the patience for that I think as it took me 30 minutes to render one frame.

Can u show us a wireframe screen? or a poly count?
Ok, I make a test. I try to copy your scene only to make a test, (It`s yours).

10 min and 30 sec.

296.769 polys

Why do you have 3 millions?

Real bricks?

It´s a differents texture yes, but I think that`s not a BIG different.. ( I use Bump in the texture)
Attached images
test 1.jpg
wireframe.jpg
I'm guessing the majority of the polys are in the rims and possibly tires as well.

But even though the amount is (IMO) overkill, render time wouldn't change drastically - that's of cause assuming there's enough memory to render the scene without any degree of swapping.

More things have to be tweaked - it's very much like when racing, you need to nail every single turn to be fast, not just a single turn - in 3D, you must tweak as broadly as possible to get lower render times.

Certain things have bigger impact though, such as lower anti aliasing quality, limiting rays such as reflection rays down to 2 or 3. I'm not sure exactly how mesh smoothing works, but if it has quality levels like 1, 2, 3 etc, then I bet 2 would be sufficient for a distance like this - even 1 might do the trick.

No need to have 2 or more polys if they share just a single pixel.
Yeah, most of them are the rims and tires.

The settings, anti aliasing, rays, shadows and all that are quite high. I'll look into optimising it a little.
Stills can be looked at closely while animations run at 25 or more fps, so quality per. frame isn't as vital nor noticeable.

Lowering meshsmoothing density would be a major factor too if you are running low on memory - try the lowest quality just for fun. You could also, on top of mesh smoothing tweak, use VRMeshes. This feature is designed for memory hungry meshes when you don't have enough mem.

Not sure how shadow rays in VRay works, but reflection rays can also easily be limited to, as mentioned earlier 2 or 3 - think of it this way: Seing a reflection in a reflection in a reflection = 3 reflection rays. That's actually quiet a bit. Sometimes too much sometimes not. Depends on how big, flat and clean reflection surfaces you have. But again, 2-3 should be fine.

Re: not going to see it anyways - Look at poly amount this way: The closest rim and tire covers an area less than 150*160 pixels. Thats 24000 pixels. And since these meshes take up most of the polys I'm guessing a single wheel has something like 700k tris... or lets just say 500k - still, forcing 500k tris into 24000 is just never going to work. There's no gain in doing this. You can have 50k and see it looks better than 25k, but 500k is just too much.

Just try a few things - your render time was "only" 30 mins, so it should be OK to work with. Take long coffee breaks
Blame the creator of the rims and tires for the polys. Can't even remember who it was.

Anyway, not sure where the settings are in Vray you mentioned, will have to look at it when I got some time.
Quote from Bose321 :Blame the creator of the rims and tires for the polys. Can't even remember who it was.

LOL!

Take your time man.
Quote from Bose321 :Blame the creator of the rims and tires for the polys. Can't even remember who it was.

illepall
Loko, look at the illumination in the original scene, and then in yours. I'm guessing most of the rendering time goes into proper lighting instead of simple raytracing like your scene.
just playing around with some effects with old renders...

C&C are welcome
Attached images
FZR_evo2010_dop24_render2_out.jpg
VWS_outdoor_ps_out.jpg
FBM_bandit2_out.jpg
FZR_evo2010_dop24_render_out.jpg
FZR_garage_out.jpg
fzr-v-ray_studiobox_te37_front2_out.jpg
You have some extreme darks in most of these. Makes me wonder if your monitor might be too bright.

Experimenting is the best way to learn. Keep doing that. I like the Evo render (side view) the best.
Quote from r4ptor :You have some extreme darks in most of these. Makes me wonder if your monitor might be too bright.

Experimenting is the best way to learn. Keep doing that. I like the Evo render (side view) the best.

Ye, I know it's dark, I wanted it :P to make it looks like sexy hahahhaha
Ye, I agree, the Evo one (side view) is the best. I love it.
for me they´re to aggressiv.
I liek the VWS one the others are to bright or to dark for me. :-/
Quote from atledreier :Loko, look at the illumination in the original scene, and then in yours. I'm guessing most of the rendering time goes into proper lighting instead of simple raytracing like your scene.

Yeah man, my scene was a fast test, I use Mental Ray to do that, coz I dont have Vray in 3ds max 2012, I will be make a better light to the next render and see the render time again.
Teasing upcoming skin for team iDrift. Little part taken from a 8192x8192 render @ 75% to show a little of the skin.
Attached images
teaser.jpg
/me is teased
Quote from Bose321 :Teasing upcoming skin for team iDrift. Little part taken from a 8192x8192 render @ 75% to show a little of the skin.

ur tyre is "cutting" the body of the car. it's too big.
Get over it. The car being low res is much worse than that tiny "error".

3D LFS renders
(8243 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG