The online racing simulator
Massa incident
Anyone else think that irrespective of how off line a driver gets, (barring actually hitting the barriers), then nothing on the track should cause part of the car to fail even at full commitment?

I'm assuming of course that there wasn't an actual manufacturing fault etc with Massas suspension. Given that assumption I don't see that it would be that hard to know the kind of stuctural strength the cars all have and design at track that won't break bits if it if they get hit full speed. Just build in large safety margins in to the height/severity of kerbing to ensure they can't produce enough force in the cars structure to break anything.

I accept that kerbing is there to "discourage" drivers from cutting the corners etc, but it shouldn't be to the point that it might actually terminally damage the car IMO. At least not so that it causes catastrophic failure leading to loss of control.

BTW I'm talking generalities here, not specifically about the actual bit of kerb that Massa hit. But as I say, assuming it's not down to some fault in his car, the kerb should never have been able to break his suspension IMO.
But then again, the STR had a failure simply by braking on a flat piece of track.

At the loads experienced, I'm amazed there aren't more failures even without clipping a not-as-large-as-some kerbs, as the teams are trying make the parts no heavier than they need to be.

It could be the parts were designed to take 10000N of load, but failed when it experienced 10100 from hitting the kerb in circumstances the designers couldn't really anticipate.
Love the new track, except for those silly hairpins that are 3 times as wide going into than they are going out of. Sure, they may make racing better but they look horrid.
Quote from gezmoor :Anyone else think that irrespective of how off line a driver gets, (barring actually hitting the barriers), then nothing on the track should cause part of the car to fail even at full commitment?

I'm assuming of course that there wasn't an actual manufacturing fault etc with Massas suspension. Given that assumption I don't see that it would be that hard to know the kind of stuctural strength the cars all have and design at track that won't break bits if it if they get hit full speed. Just build in large safety margins in to the height/severity of kerbing to ensure they can't produce enough force in the cars structure to break anything.

I accept that kerbing is there to "discourage" drivers from cutting the corners etc, but it shouldn't be to the point that it might actually terminally damage the car IMO. At least not so that it causes catastrophic failure leading to loss of control.

BTW I'm talking generalities here, not specifically about the actual bit of kerb that Massa hit. But as I say, assuming it's not down to some fault in his car, the kerb should never have been able to break his suspension IMO.

There was plenty of track to the left he could have used. They have to have something there, or the drivers will take more liberties. Hitting walls, tyre barriers and even gravel traps also cause a fair bit of damage, but they all have their place.
Will massa have to start on those tyres that he completely ruined by locking them for 300 meters
He'll start on the tyres he set his fastest lap on.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :He'll start on the tyres he set his fastest lap on.

Thanks for that.

So, like I said, will Massa have to start on those tyres that he completely ruined by locking them for 300 meters, or did a bolt a new set on for his second hotlap?
He'll start on the tyres he set his fastest lap on.
Yes but the question is whether or not the tyres he crashed on were those tyres or did he go into the pits to change tyres and then crash?
Quote from gezmoor :Anyone else think that irrespective of how off line a driver gets, (barring actually hitting the barriers), then nothing on the track should cause part of the car to fail even at full commitment?

Then what do you think of Monaco? Or Singapore? Or even Korea in some places?
Quote from BlueFlame :Then what do you think of Monaco? Or Singapore? Or even Korea in some places?

Can you actually read?
#87 - CSF
Quote from Seb66 :Thanks for that.

So, like I said, will Massa have to start on those tyres that he completely ruined by locking them for 300 meters, or did a bolt a new set on for his second hotlap?

He'll be fine. I would think he would be on a new set, but even if he wasn't he would get dispensation for the crash causing huge damage to the tyres.

Probably also worth pointing out that the kerbs are not on the track. The limits of the track are defined by the two white lines and the kerbs are beyond those.
Quote from J@tko :Can you actually read?

Obviously not, but in Gezmoors arguement, rumble strips and those stupid sleeping policemen at say, Monza, should be banned.

They are there for a good reason.

Also, Storm Cloud, however pedantic is sounds (it doesn't) is correct. The kerbs are on the outside of the track boundaries.
Also worth pointing out you're generally allowed two wheels outside the white line defining the track boundary and occasionally allowed four wheels outside this line (exiting Ascari at Monza is one example of 4 wheels being allowed outside).
Quote from amp88 :Also worth pointing out you're generally allowed two wheels outside the white line defining the track boundary and occasionally allowed four wheels outside this line (exiting Ascari at Monza is one example of 4 wheels being allowed outside).

Either way, Swimmingpool complex at Monaco, if you get it wrong, you hit a kerb the wrong way and you're a passenger in an out-of control car (E.G Kovalinen whenever it was). At the end of the day, cutting that kerb was the same result as getting it wrong somewhere else and hitting a kerb in the wrong way. I prefer those kerbs if it stops cutting, either that or remove silly corners that can be cut easily.
Boring race.
Engine rape by Pastor
Hamilton and Massa at it again, apart from that it is a very booring race, expected a little more.

Pete
lulz. here we go again...
Massa and Hamilton have come together again..

*grabs popcorn and awaits Hamilton and anti-Hamilton fans clash...again*
Im waiting for Massa acting impulsively at the end of the race and he is going to regret it.
Massa looking both ways in the mirror following Hamiltons movements and turning in on Hammo lol. I swear Massa does this shit all the time so he doesn't have to bother racing.
Am I allow to say, this race is rather boring. I almost fell asleep before they crash.
For the first time EVER, I think that was NOT Hamilton's fault! Blimey. It's almost like being a blind Hamilton fanboy for a few seconds.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG