The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Obviously they made a mistake, if that's not so hard to understand for you, besides, there was no imediate danger, it's not like ignoring a yellow at Monaco or Singapore.

The team could tell you there's yellow flag, but being a race driver you wanna, and get paid to, go as fast as possible when circumstances permit, obviously they didn't see any yellows and thus kept their foot in it, going by the FP1 highlights, the marshalls were hardly waving the yellows, plus the track is full of this shitty dust everywhere, why don't you just give 'em a break.

Obviously they made a mistake but it is just odd that two profeccional drivers both make a rare mistake during a same yellow flag. If one driver would've missed the yellow flags that would've been normal but two drivers missing them is just strange. Like when was the last time something like this happened? I can't even remember. All I'm saying is that it's strange they boths would do the mistake at the same time when we haven't seen this sort of mistakes at all during the season.
Don't yellow flags appear on the dash as well, as lit LEDs?
Quote from Juzaa :Obviously they made a mistake but it is just odd that two profeccional drivers both make a rare mistake during a same yellow flag. If one driver would've missed the yellow flags that would've been normal but two drivers missing them is just strange. Like when was the last time something like this happened? I can't even remember. All I'm saying is that it's strange they boths would do the mistake at the same time when we haven't seen this sort of mistakes at all during the season.

If two people make the same mistake, chances are the system failed them at that point in time due to conditions. I really blame the marshalls for being slack on waving the yellows.

As for missing an LED on the dash, I'd say it was pretty easy, LEDs aren't deadly bright, and in those conditions in India, you'd probably struggle to see a blue LED, a yellow LED would be far worse.
With radio contact, dashboard warnings, flags being waved and the big LED boards that most circuits have as well (does Buddh have them?), as well as possibly being able to see the cloud of dust from the mistake ahead that caused the yellow in the first place I don't think there are many excuses, especially from professional drivers.
Yellow flags and green LED board...

Looks like they fixed the Pirleli advert too.
Quote from tristancliffe :With radio contact, dashboard warnings, flags being waved and the big LED boards that most circuits have as well (does Buddh have them?), as well as possibly being able to see the cloud of dust from the mistake ahead that caused the yellow in the first place I don't think there are many excuses, especially from professional drivers.

Seems my theory of the system failing them was correct judging by the above picture.

PROBLEM TRISTAN?
So despite the radio saying "yellow flags", the yellow flags waving, the yellow lights on the dash, the drivers are expected to ignore them in preference for a trackside light that might have been lit.

But then again, maybe that screenshot is taken at the point when the yellows became greens, and the marshals will always take longer to do that a light board.
Quote from BlueFlame :Seems my theory of the system failing them was correct judging by the above picture.

PROBLEM TRISTAN?

From what I've heard Mclaren informed Hamilton about the yellow flag and to me it seems the marshals waving the yellow flags were quite clear. I think the penalties were appropriate. After all they were weaving double yellow flags and the drivers were infromed about them in the radio.

Partly messed up by the system though (or rather by the guy who was supposed to take care of the LED screens).
No, I'm saying it could be any number of things, from a mistake, a quicker change from yellow to green than the marshals, a reflection (these are designed to be looked at from ground level, not up high, so just like with a car light lens it can look on when it isn't from strange angles)... Maybe the light board before or after was yellow as well, so the drivers would have had a fairly easy time realising the green one was a mistake.

The simple fact is that a rookie Formula Ford driver wouldn't make that mistake with all the facilites F1 drivers have.
Quote from tristancliffe :No, I'm saying it could be any number of things, from a mistake, a quicker change from yellow to green than the marshals, a reflection (these are designed to be looked at from ground level, not up high, so just like with a car light lens it can look on when it isn't from strange angles)... Maybe the light board before or after was yellow as well, so the drivers would have had a fairly easy time realising the green one was a mistake.

The simple fact is that a rookie Formula Ford driver wouldn't make that mistake with all the facilites F1 drivers have.

Anyone can make a mistake Tristan, except you of course. Besides, if you're not saying the picture is shopped then why 'might' the light be shining when the picture clearly shows that it IS ON.

What are you going to go by, a little LED light that MUST have some latency, INDIAN MARSHALLS!?!? or a big square light that presumeably the FIA control (I don't know)?
According to the BBC F1 coverage, the (entire) track was green when Hamilton went through, the marshalls were late pulling the yellows in.
Quote from tristancliffe :The simple fact is that a rookie Formula Ford driver wouldn't make that mistake with all the facilites F1 drivers have.

So if this rookie Formula Ford driver was told to obey what the track side lights showed.. They wouldn't of made the mistake? lol
Even if the light was on green (and that picture is not waterproof of that, as I'm sure you'll understand), the light on the dash, the marshals (many of which will be British) were waving yellows, and the team would have told him.

If the track was green, then he wouldn't have got a penalty. Apparently he used his DRS whilst under yellows, which isn't allowed.

Edit: The mystical rooking FFord driver would have told to look at all the cues. 99% of the time they all say the same thing. In this instance they might not have, and it doesn't take a Sheldon Cooper to use the majority of cues - waving flags, dash lights and a voice in your ear.
-
(samjh) DELETED by samjh
#40 - CSF
2nd offence in 3 races = penalty. Same for Perez, he did the same in Japan too. Quite a lenient penalty if you look down the years at the same offences committed.

E: Surely it's obvious that the green board is indicating it's clear from the final corner, and not where the Marshall's are waving their flags from?
Is there like an unofficial record of most penalties received during a season? Because I got a feeling Hamilton has broken that.
Quote from tristancliffe :Even if the light was on green (and that picture is not waterproof of that, as I'm sure you'll understand),

Yes, it's not waterproof, but I'm sure the picture hasn't been made specifically to prove you wrong Tristan.
Quote from CSF :

E: Surely it's obvious that the green board is indicating it's clear from the final corner, and not where the Marshall's are waving their flags from?

Then what are they waving for? The footage clearly shows the whole gap of track between that marshall post and the green-lit board and there's no stranded car there, or even shit on the track.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yes, it's not waterproof, but I'm sure the picture hasn't been made specifically to prove you wrong Tristan.

I'm sure it hasn't. But even if the board was not lit, there is a chance that it could look lit depending on the viewers position and the lighting conditions. Hard to say from a static image, but not impossible, and not even that unlikely.
Right, I watched the highlights of FP1.

Maldonado pulled off to the left of the above photo, between the green light and the yellow flags. In that zone Hamilton used his DRS in some manner.

Simples. No systems problem. Just an unobservant or incapable driver (and Perez).
#47 - CSF
Quote from BlueFlame :Then what are they waving for? The footage clearly shows the whole gap of track between that marshall post and the green-lit board and there's no stranded car there, or even shit on the track.

Sigh. Don't you understand where the yellow flags were is a yellow zone, and the green light signifies that the track is now clear from this point on? Is it actually that hard to understand?
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm sure it hasn't. But even if the board was not lit, there is a chance that it could look lit depending on the viewers position and the lighting conditions. Hard to say from a static image, but not impossible, and not even that unlikely.

How is it going to look green if it's not lit?
Quote from CSF :Sigh. Don't you understand where the yellow flags were is a yellow zone, and the green light signifies that the track is now clear from this point on? Is it actually that hard to understand?

Tristan just said that Maldonado pulled off between the yellow and green signals. As anyone who watched it would already know.

Besides the green flag indicator is almost completely away from the track.

I'm fully aware of the change between a yellow flag zone and a green flag, thanks.
Quote from BlueFlame :How is it going to look green if it's not lit?

In the same way that a car light can look lit when it isn't - light reflects and refracts.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG