The online racing simulator
Spinoff : track menu screen
(105 posts, started )
Quote from Blackout :That new thing is confusing, I really can't remember what number everything is and if you want to select a reversed layouts you have to go back in that menu.

I just want to be clear about this. No one has to go out and back in again just because I added some new extra buttons. I did not remove anything that was there before.

If you don't already know the config you need, you can just click on the track name. The configs will then appear with their names. That function still works the old way - there is no change there, I just added more buttons for convenience.

The config names are stored in the tracks. This was not intended as as major rewrite of the track screen, it was a 10 minute quick job of adding the config buttons.

NOTE : I'm not saying I won't do anything about it. I'm just explaining a few things.
My idea
My idea.
can preview scene of each track.
Attached images
00073.jpg
00075.jpg
See, I said it got me confused. Didn't even notice you can click the location button :P But I cant find a way to select a reversed config quickly. I suppose this modding is about getting the track selection more quicker, so like I said, it would be great if LFS could load the track finally when you have chosen it. This straight jump to the track which is here allready kinda does it, but the mix of this and the old system would be great. I still dont know if anyone did understand
I like that quick track selection, good idea. But as already said, there should be way to select reverse configs from there too, best probably done with on/off "Reverse" button below tracks list.
Quote from highbridge :My idea.

That would be a nice idea
it's nice but not essential, and it all adds up to a slower game (not much tho), and it's probably worth it for the noobs.

it would be cool to have the regular track menu, but with a button to toggle between regular and grid style menu, (obviously it would have to include reversed layouts and the choice of menu stored in a CFG) but would allow noobs to have a nice track menu with pictures and full names, and a seasoned player can choose to have a fast, abbreviated grid style menu.

I like these ideas. To most new players, they simply don't know what they are selecting. Some pictures or track descriptions would go such a long way towards helping newer players understand which track is which. Infact, I'm unsure on some of the combo's and such.
Quote from hackerx :I like that quick track selection, good idea. But as already said, there should be way to select reverse configs from there too, best probably done with on/off "Reverse" button below tracks list.

is there a possibility to read track configurations from the file header, before loading each track? Track will be loaded when you select configuration.
In this way we will have fast acces to the configurations. Weather could be loaded by default IMHO.
The way I see it how it would be perfect... Don't know how possible it is, or what parts are... But here goes:

On top a bar with all the different locations

Blackwood - South City - ... (Images with logos of the tracks? Like earlier said)

In the middle a bar with all the different layouts of the track (Also with images maybe, maybe a quick drawing of the layout?)

Then a bar with the possible weather situations

When you have selected all this (The images you select are highlighted in some way (3d button effect, coloured border?), then you can select the number of laps the way you do now, wind also, and then a tickbox or something telling to open the reversed version of the track (Or add it to the different layouts bar)

Then you click ok, and the track loads... I don't know why this exactly is, but I hate the tracks being loaded when you click it, if you accidently click wrong, or you suddenly change your mind you have to wait, it really slows the experience down for me.

i like that idea the most

also; i say instead of loading tracks immediately, it changes tracks after you hit okay (that way you wont have to wait for the base track to load, then load the track that you want)
(ei: you choose south city, so it first loads classic, but you want race on long, so then you have to click long, and then wait for it to load)
*gough* Thats what I suggested on page 1.
#38 - joen
Here's basically how I would like the track select screen to be. I don't think logo's of the track would add anything functional to it. It would mainly waste space imo.

I put the description of the track in it, and what I think would be a nice idea is that you get a short basic description of what kind of setup would be good for the track upon having selected the config on the bottom. Nothing elaborate but just some quick pointers.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to set the session type and number of laps on the track select screen, but I didn't put them in here yet.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Attached images
track_select.jpg
#39 - abz1
Quote from joen :Here's basically much how I would like the track select screen to be. I don't think logo's of the track would add anything functional to it. It would mainly waste space imo.

I put the description of the track in it, and what I think would be a nice idea is that you get a short basic description of what kind of setup would be good for the track upon having selected the config on the bottom. Nothing elaborate but just some quick pointers.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to set the session type and track amount on the track select screen, but I didn't put them in here yet.

Ayway, my 2 cents.

Theres something good about everyones design but I think this design is really good. I think adding a picture of what the track looks like might be a good idea.. but according to your design where could it go, also while maintaining a professional look.

Also as Xnuse said but differently, rather then loading the track at that moment it should load the track when you hit start when you have selected everything ai..laps.. rather then hitting ok and then loading in the track selection screen.
#40 - joen
Quote from abz1 :Theres something good about everyones design but I think this design is really good. I think adding a picture of what the track looks like might be a good idea.. but according to your design where could it go, also while maintaining a professional look.

Also as Xnuse said but differently, rather then loading the track at that moment it should load the track when you hit start when you have selected everything ai..laps.. rather then hitting ok and then loading in the track selection screen.

I thought about adding a preview pic under the track map. I think it would make it too cluttered.
I was just thinking for people who want a preview pic of the track in it, what if the background image would change to a picture of the track you just selected? It would take up no extra space. Just a thought
impressive joen; +1 for joen's

that way it might help the noobies a bit when they first play the game by giving some tips here and there

@blackout, sorry it was just the way you said it was confusing :S
instead of the setup tips, I would rather like to see a "steal wr setup from wr replay"-button
I kinda like joen's example, but I don't think the setup tips are necessary.

It, although, like everybody else's example screen, doesn't cater for the future when you might have 50 or even 514 (current GPL track count) tracks installed. (Either by tools/ways sanctioned/released by the devs or by enterprising hackers. One can hope, can't one? )
#44 - joen
Quote from Krane :I kinda like joen's example, but I don't think the setup tips are necessary.

It, although, like everybody else's example screen, doesn't cater for the future when you might have 50 or even 514 (current GPL track count) tracks installed. (Either by tools/ways sanctioned/released by the devs or by enterprising hackers. One can hope, can't one? )

I think it's very unlikely we will ever have anything remotely close to 50 tracks. And it remains to be seen if LFS will ever be moddable. It seems to have become some sort of preconcepted certainty that it will be after S3 but none of the devs have ever said it will be. So if the devs aren't even sure addons will be a reality there's no need to take changes that might be made in the future into account. At least not at this moment.

If hackers succeed in adding tracks to LFS I'm sure they will be capable of changing the track selection screen to fit their needs

With some nudging here and there the way I set it up it will be possible to have at least three time the amount of tracks which is probably still more than we'll ever going to have anyway.

I had another idea which would be able to display an unlimited amount of tracks, but with 500 tracks there will be no escaping from listboxes and things like that. You just can't really make 500 tracks be displayed in an uncluttered and effective way in just one screen.

If there will be addon tracks in the future one way to go would be to keep the original official tracks something like it is now, and to have a button which leads you to a second screen (or screen overlay) with the list of addon tracks in it.
Hi everyone,

I installed the U13 patch (before I had the U11, no U12).

Now, when I start lfs (with quick start) and go to singleplayer the track selection menu appears. In U11 I chose there the track, then the config.

But now with these numbers behind the tracknames (number stands for config, but no reverse config) I was very confused, I thought this was a bug :reallydidnt tested U12).

my question: Is this the way it should be / it's wanted to be?

This number thing is a little bit strange to me. And for a beginner this would be a quite confusing way to select a track-config (for me too, cause I dont know the right number for each config).
I hope this will be changed.

Is there an option to switch between U11 style and U13 style? I didn't find one.

regards

Land
Attached images
LFS U11.jpg
LFS U13.jpg
You can click those names, Aston for example and then choose your config.
Quote from Blackout :You can click those names, Aston for example and then choose your config.

ha, LOL. thx.

had a blackout

:sorry: :cry: :doh: :uglyhamme :something :banghead: :uglyhamme

but I don't like this number thing.

cu
Please don't change this, "Can select track and config with one click after quick load", much. This was only reason that I started using test patces again, otherwise I would have tried to hold on to patch U as long as possible.

One possibility to choose the reverse configs might be putting an "R" to the end of each track environment and e.g. when I would like to go to AS4R track, I would press the "R" first and then "4" in the Aston row. But in this case it wouldn't be a "Can select track and config with one click after quick load" anymore.

PS: putting an "R" after each track enviroment is better than one "R" somewhere in the screen so I don't have to move the mouse around excessively.
PPS: I made this post, because I'm scared due do a lot of people seem to find hard to understand the new "Can select track and config with one click after quick load" and I don't want this to disappear suddenly.
Attached images
scrn.jpg
I don't think the "one click" is a big deal. It's not like it's difficult or time-consuming to click the mouse twice, or three times.
Quote from Renku :.. I'm scared due do a lot of people seem to find hard to understand the new ..

To me it's just inconsistent, i know Blackwood, GP Track and BL1, but what's "Blackwood 1" ?

Spinoff : track menu screen
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG