The online racing simulator
Spinoff : track menu screen
(105 posts, started )
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for the track selection screen discussions, pictures, and so on. I took bits of various ideas that I read on this thread and made what I thought was practical from that. The result can be seen in U17. There's no need to think it's absolutely final - it is only a test patch. But I hope you will find the interface quite useful, the way it allows you to browse the tracks before loading.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9869

Great work!! Scawen
#77 - Jakg
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for the track selection screen discussions, pictures, and so on. I took bits of various ideas that I read on this thread and made what I thought was practical from that. The result can be seen in U17. There's no need to think it's absolutely final - it is only a test patch. But I hope you will find the interface quite useful, the way it allows you to browse the tracks before loading.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9869

Scawen, get off your pc, go down the pub and have a pint or 5, you deserve it!
looks a little bit like the one from S1^^
The new track selection screen is AWESOME! I really like that you see a picture of the track AND the layout at the same time. Plus it has the long names instead of abbreviations. And it saves a ton of time since it doesn't load until you pick the track you want. No more reloading of unnecessary info.

I only hope the next "big" patch has a few more tracks to add to the list. <cough>mountainroad<cough>
Quote from Cue-Ball :The new track selection screen is AWESOME! I really like that you see a picture of the track AND the layout at the same time. Plus it has the long names instead of abbreviations. And it saves a ton of time since it doesn't load until you pick the track you want. No more reloading of unnecessary info.

I only hope the next "big" patch has a few more tracks to add to the list. <cough>mountainroad<cough>

The same here. But one thing: The pictures of tracks are there to remind people which track is which via visual association. However, if the track is not selected, its picture is black&white. And if the picture is B&W, it is very hard to decipher what is on the picture. So the point of putting the picrues in the menu is somewhat lost, I think.
#81 - Don
it looks very stupid when there is milion different color images on one selection screen.

maybe you could calibrate your monitor?
Quote from Don :it looks very stupid when there is milion different color images on one selection screen.

maybe you could calibrate your monitor?

Have you ever seen the car selection screen?

maybe you could calibrate you memory?

(although, I agree, that the car selection screen does not have a million different images, while the track selection screen has at least two million - I'll finish counting tomorrow)
I think what he means is that if all those pictures on track selection would have colors it would look bad, and I agree, it would be too colorfull and you couln't know which is selected.
Very very nice work. Thanks!!
Quote from Blackout :I think what he means is that if all those pictures on track selection would have colors it would look bad, and I agree, it would be too colorfull and you couln't know which is selected.

Yeah, OK I know that there is absolutely no other way of distinguising which track is selected.
can always edit the pictures so that they are both color instead of one being greyscale, and one being color

just go to your data/pic file, and you'll see the both color and greyscale there

you could really put anything there you like?
That's actually a great idea, XCNuse. I think maybe I'll see how it looks with all the tracks being in color, but the selected track having a yellow outline.
i mean its not hard to edit either, looking at it now again, they are only 512x512 jpeg pictures so..
#89 - Jakg
Quote from XCNuse :i mean its not hard to edit either, looking at it now again, they are only 512x512 jpeg pictures so..

has already been done when it first came in U18, a mod with better pics was done, but i prefer the U19 images to the mod, although i am considering making my own
Quote from Jakg :has already been done when it first came in U18, a mod with better pics was done, but i prefer the U19 images to the mod, although i am considering making my own

I haven't had a chance to try the newest test patch yet, so I don't have a comparison. I'll have to check that out. Though, having all color pictures and a yellow outline around the selected track should still be possible.

Unless U19 uses all color pictures...?
#91 - Jakg
nope, you have a selected image, and then an unselected image (iirc with B&W at the end), although whether those two pics are related is up to you...
#92 - Don
selected = color
unselected = b&w
Attached images
track.jpg
retired
@cueball: 100% +100
instead of spam
just a little suggestion to the track menue:

while loading a track, lfs could display a little screenshot of the track and not those UF1..
the screenshot should be a figurehead for the track.
as historic --> chicane
fe green --> first corner

i think you know what i mean.
The way rFactor handles them looks nice: overall view of the track with the selected layout highlighted, and then a few small screenshots of that particular layout.
Hmm, is there a reason why the tracks can't be in alphabetical order?
Because it's not necessary.
because we already got used to that order

Spinoff : track menu screen
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG