The online racing simulator
The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
The classic F1 car pics and the last one of the Vette looks stunning!
rTractor, meh.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Ewww... Look at those rims on the Renault. Is that a photoshop attempt of a 5 year old? Horribly 2D looking. Also, the HDR pics are terrible, even if they're WIP.

I'm glad that's all you are worried about.
Ugh. They need to fire whoever made that trailer.
Yeah they are hyping the GPL style racing quite a bit. Nice to see a decent version of Monaco, but normally trailers are never worth watching, it is always the "gameplay" that brings people in.
http://isiforums.net/f/showthr ... ted-Open-Beta-information
Quote :What is the pricing structure for rF2?
In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price?
That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services?
Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about?
We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta?
If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

I don't like games where you have to pay for online access etc...

edit: but I'll probably buy it anyway...
I don't like pay2play online either, but at least this time it is a much more reasonable price.
Quote from PMD9409 :I don't like pay2play online either, but at least this time it is a much more reasonable price.

Exactly, $13 wouldn't even get you two months of iRacing (or a track for that matter) so I don't really see what the fuss is about
what's the point, other than a reason to try and get away with charging $60 for a pc game.

So if it's pay for multiplayer that means the net code will be much better than Rfactor 1 and allow for things like Join in Progress?
If it actually does as it's intended and solve the fact that pick-up racing is practically non-existant on rFactor, I think it'll be worth it.

The ease at which you can just join and get a casual, but competitive race is what keeps me playing LFS.
The graphics look pretty bad imo... but I've never thought the ISI games were very pretty, anyways. I don't know why they'd put that crash in the end of the video; it highlights how poor their crash system is and the fact that they're probably still using a crash box instead of proper interaction between vehicles and other vehicles/objects.

Overall; not impressed, at all. Which is a shame, because that era depicted in the video produced some of my most favorite race cars.
Will probably get Single Player, but never really cared for rFactor multiplayer anyway.
Quote from Stefani24 :Will probably get Single Player, but never really cared for rFactor multiplayer anyway.

Then you missed the main part of it...
I see rfactor as a fun game to play around with my pad and drive against some ais, make some cool passes - But there is just too much hussle with the mods to go online, and usually they don't drive the mods/tracks I want. And I don't have the time and concentration to get into league racing.
This new "online" part of rf2 is supposed to put an end to mod mismatch misery, we shall see....
This sounds good
:jawdrop:
:huepfenic
:faint2:
Looks fun to drive, but I find the lack of advanced shaders still makes it look like a 5 year old game where everything is made out of the same material just painted different colours, and it just kills the immersion for me. I'm not in any way a fan of the overdone brown palette/blinding bloom that you get on a lot of modern games, but something to make it look more realistic would be nice. it just looks like a well-made rFactor 1 mod.

Comparing it to the C.A.R.S. videos this doesn't even come close.

How it drives will be the killer and I have a feeling it isn't going to measure up.
Quote from PMD9409 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

Honestly the only slightly interesting thing I've seen for rF2 yet.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Looks fun to drive, but I find the lack of advanced shaders still makes it look like a 5 year old game where everything is made out of the same material just painted different colours, and it just kills the immersion for me. I'm not in any way a fan of the overdone brown palette/blinding bloom that you get on a lot of modern games, but something to make it look more realistic would be nice. it just looks like a well-made rFactor 1 mod.

Comparing it to the C.A.R.S. videos this doesn't even come close.

How it drives will be the killer and I have a feeling it isn't going to measure up.

I doubt the physics will be amazing, and I doubt the FFB will be all that great, but I am a sucker for 60s formulae and this video alone may have sold me. Maybe.

The last video looked like crap but this one is much better. There is hope. (But only a little)
Honestly the physics isn't my worry. rFactor already had some decent projects from modders before (neil for example) and the physics engine can create great physics (game stock car). This is their "updated" engine, and looking how the tires worked in earlier progress videos I see physics being quite good. The changing weather and variation of driving line throughout a race (mainly if it rains) is easily one of the coolest new things.

They have kept pretty quiet but from the information given it has been a pretty big overhaul from rf1. The online system with mods is going to be my "make or break" situation. If they are able to produce a good central website I won't care if its just like RF1, but they said the online system is now different (one reason they charge a small fee per year) so I expect something decent out of this.

Anyways, I'm no ISI fan myself, so the last thing you will hear from me is praise.
Quote from PMD9409 : The online system with mods is going to be my "make or break" situation. If they are able to produce a good central website I won't care if its just like RF1, but they said the online system is now different (one reason they charge a small fee per year) so I expect something decent out of this.

Agreed - this is why I like LFS so much, and barely play rFactor

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG