The online racing simulator
London/UK Riots
(461 posts, started )
#326 - CSF
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :

Although it raises a valid point here. Despite it being orginally reported that it's UK riots, in truth there has been NO incidents of note (other than reckless bin tipping and ring dancing going on) in either Wales/Northern Ireland or Scotland. Why?

There are parts of Glasgow which are just as deprived as the same parts of London where we saw issues, and it's not like Glasgow doesn't have a gang problem either. Likewise Cardiff has issues as well. So why have'nt we seen rioting here.

Well the reason is pretty simple.

The Celtic nations are simply better than the English......

But you know if it happened in NI/Scotland it would be reported by the media as "SCOTLANDS SHAME"
Quote from 5haz :Have any valid response to that though? No I didn't think so.

You mean this one?

Quote from menantoll :I was waiting for that one. The government fills the holes when they are found, then the clever accountants find new holes (or use ones that they already found but were holding back). It is not the governments choice that these super rich manage to avoid some taxes. Even with the avoidance though they still pay a lot more that the average working man. Then there are all the taxes that flymike mentions.

Add on top of that the extra indirect taxes (VAT etc) that the rich pay as they spend more on luxury goods than the poor.

Or this one?

Quote from menantoll :If "The family shop" are paying less than 1% income tax then they are paying huge fees to the accountants who manage these savings for them (typically 25% of the amount of tax they saved). This doesn't mean the government wants this to happen though. It doesn't mean the government aren't fighting to stop it happening.

In every budget there are changes to close tax avoidance loopholes. These accountants earn way way more than MP's, HMRC tax experts etc. It's no wonder they win. What happens if HMRC offers silly salaries to attract these people though? You get outcries that a civil servant should never earn that much.

Are neither of those valid. Do you really believe that tax avoidance is a government idea?

Quote from 5haz :You remind me of me, three years ago. Its quite a big leap from restricting civil liberties to mind control radars, but that kind of subtlety is lost on flippant idiots like yourself.

I agree it's a big leap and probably a bit far so I apologise. Do you honestly believe the stuff written in that link though? Search deep down, look at the world around you. Do you really think it's true?
Quote from menantoll :It was labour that changed the company car benefit rules not the Tories.

Right, so it was a Labour rule implemented at a time to make the Tories unpopular. I see politics hasn't changed much.

Quote from menantoll :Also I think you have either typed this out wrong or someone is giving you wrong advice.

It seems I did get bad advance. Maybe the accountant we use should go back into retirement.

Quote from menantoll :YOU may not have a problem with the market price being paid for the right man to do the right job but the daily mail etc has a bigger voice than you.

And that is why the country is going to the wall. It is run by idiots who couldn't get a job on the open market. Most MPs get given a job they have no idea about. The chap in charge of defence said after he was given the seat that all he knows about the military is what he has seen on the news. And he was in charge of it all now. No wonder they never have the right equipment.

Quote from menantoll :This is illegal, claiming a tax break on something you shouldn't.

You're encouraged to claim for things you shouldn't by accountants. But then that is what you pay them for. Ways to avoid tax.

Quote from menantoll :[Tax numbers]

Shit, my memory for numbers has got worse. Probably why I'm not an accountant.
Quote from menantoll :Do you really believe that tax avoidance is a government idea?

Tax avoidance is a glaring issue that no recent government has done anything to address, simply because it isn't in their personal interests to do so.

Quote from menantoll :I agree it's a big leap and probably a bit far so I apologise. Do you honestly believe the stuff written in that link though? Search deep down, look at the world around you. Do you really think it's true?

Looking the world around you is to miss the bigger picture. World changing events can happen while the street outside looks exactly the same.

Just because this state is a supposedly free democracy today doesn't mean there are those in power who want to change that, and they prey on people's ignorance of their intrigue.

The stuff written in the link is David Cameron's speech on the unrest, its the words that actually came out his mouth, did you even look at the link? There's even a video on the BBC of him saying it if that satisfies you.

Make of this what you will. Slightly tongue in cheek so try not to get too upset.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Right, so it was a Labour rule implemented at a time to make the Tories unpopular. I see politics hasn't changed much.

I think that was the rule for a couple of years before the election but I haven't checked my facts on that one

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It seems I did get bad advance. Maybe the accountant we use should go back into retirement.

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding. If you want to PM me when you have checked on the details I'll be happy to help.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :And that is why the country is going to the wall. It is run by idiots who couldn't get a job on the open market. Most MPs get given a job they have no idea about. The chap in charge of defence said after he was given the seat that all he knows about the military is what he has seen on the news. And he was in charge of it all now. No wonder they never have the right equipment.

Can't argue with that.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You're encouraged to claim for things you shouldn't by accountants. But then that is what you pay them for. Ways to avoid tax.

A good accountant will not encourage you to do things that are illegal. He may point out loopholes but that is not illegal.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Shit, my memory for numbers has got worse. Probably why I'm not an accountant.

We are all good at what we are good at. My thing happens to be numbers.
Quote from 5haz :Tax avoidance is a glaring issue that no recent government has done anything to address, simply because it isn't in their personal interests to do so.

Wrong, plain and simple wrong. Read a few Budget reports. There is always plenty in them about plugging loopholes. Just because you read it in the paper doesn't mean it's true.

Quote from 5haz :Looking the world around you is to miss the bigger picture. World changing events can happen while the street outside looks exactly the same.

Just because this state is a supposedly free democracy today doesn't mean there are those in power who want to change that, and they prey on people's ignorance of their intrigue.

The stuff written in the link is David Cameron's speech on the unrest, its the words that actually came out his mouth, did you even look at the link? There's even a video on the BBC of him saying it if that satisfies you.

I spoke about you not reading everything people say earlier and you have just proved my point. How could you possibly ask if I have looked at the link if I quoted part of it in a reply to you? Unless you didn't read all I said, or your brain simply won't let you acknowledge stuff that goes against your argument.
Quote from menantoll :Wrong, plain and simple wrong. Read a few Budget reports. There is always plenty in them about plugging loopholes. Just because you read it in the paper doesn't mean it's true.

They plug loopholes only after the media exposes them.

Quote from menantoll :I spoke about you not reading everything people say earlier and you have just proved my point. How could you possibly ask if I have looked at the link if I quoted part of it in a reply to you? Unless you didn't read all I said, or your brain simply won't let you acknowledge stuff that goes against your argument.

If I was talking to someone of any importance I might be more thorough, sorry. Just you seemed to imply that the link contained some piece of conspiracy theorist fiction when it was in fact a direct quote.
Quote from 5haz :Do you think the bailouts came from thin air? The state has a 65% stake in Lloyds banking group, of which RBS and Halifax are subsidiaries, while the right wing media says your taxes are paying for benefit claimants to live in their big houses, in reality its paying for the heads of these banks to live in theirs. In a fair world they'd be out of a job.

I'd say quite a large percentage of the right-wing media is totally against the bank bailouts.

Blog after blog after news item after news item in right-wing media hates the bank bailouts and continuously makes the point. Had the banks failed cuts would still have been made though. The treasury relied far too heavily on bank tax revenue. There would have been a gigantic recession, but at least we'd be in a better of place now.

Keynsian economic theory is not something indicative of right-wing media thinking.

Quote :At least the people not getting paid would include the people who caused the crisis, and Dave C and his pals really could almost get away with saying "we're all in this together".

One of those pals being Daniel Hannan who is one of the most vocal against the bank bailouts?

**sigh**

Maybe you should read more than JUST the Guardian.

Quote from Becky Rose :So the argument being put forward by the right wing here (although the political map is an over simplification blah blah blah): Poor people don't have values like rich people do? Well... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44084236/ns/health-behavior/

They're clearly right.

No, your wrong.

What people are saying is that being not as wealthy as others (they are not poor) is not an excuse to riot and steal and kick people in.

Being right-wing or left-wing may correlate with a person's wealth, but it's by no means a certain. There are plenty right-wing libertarian types who are foaming at the mouth about billionaire bankers and corporations. The bankers rout on the public's purse is just as abhorrent and disgusting.

I know people who aren't rich who are free-market libertarian types, and their are wealthy people who are of the left. I am not sure why you have this tendency to try and put people in certain stereotyped boxes Becky.

Anyway, the rioting has gone down now. Everyone is enjoying their new Playstations while the R*E*A*L poor sleep in the slums of the world wondering where their next meal is coming from.
At first you say

Quote from 5haz :Tax avoidance is a glaring issue that no recent government has done anything to address, simply because it isn't in their personal interests to do so.

Then your next post you say

Quote from 5haz :They plug loopholes only after the media exposes them.

1. Make your mind up, they either plug them or they don't. or grow a pair and admit when you might have been wrong. I've done it more than once in this thread. It's called being a grown up.

2. Loopholes are exposed when they are used. Details have to be given to prove to mr tax man that the avoidance is legal. It just takes time get the legislation through to fill them. This is why the big accountants hold back on using new loopholes until the old ones are filled. It has nothing to do with the media.

Quote from 5haz :If I was talking to someone of any importance I might be more thorough, sorry. Just you seemed to imply that the link contained some piece of conspiracy theorist fiction when it was in fact a direct quote.

So now you've gone down the personal insult route? I'm not someone of importance so you don't actually read what I say you just read what you want to see and skip the rest. Thank you for confirming what I have been saying all along.

I too quoted it directly with the subtle difference of putting in bold the part that you seemed to be ignoring. But at least now I know why. I'm not someone of importance so you don't read all I write. Go you!
Quote from Intrepid :I'd say quite a large percentage of the right-wing media is totally against the bank bailouts.

Blog after blog after news item after news item in right-wing media hates the bank bailouts and continuously makes the point. Had the banks failed cuts would still have been made though. The treasury relied far too heavily on bank tax revenue. There would have been a gigantic recession, but at least we'd be in a better of place now.

That's beside the point I was making, the point being that the right wing media rails against all your tax money supposedly going into letting benefit claimants live like kings, when in fact the reality is a significant portion of our tax has gone into bailing out wealthy people, I wasn't talking about the right wing media's position on the bailouts.[/QUOTE]
Please refrain from reading what you want to hear as opposed to the actual words.

Quote from Intrepid :One of those pals being Daniel Hannan who is one of the most vocal against the bank bailouts?

Regardless of what he says, the way things stand we're not in it together.

Quote from Intrepid :Maybe you should read more than JUST the Guardian.

Maybe you should drop your prejudice that every person who has opposing views to you somehow reads the Guardian.
Quote from 5haz :Please refrain from reading what you want to hear as opposed to the actual words.

The irony is strong in this one.
Quote from menantoll :1. Make your mind up, they either plug them or they don't. or grow a pair and admit when you might have been wrong. I've done it more than once in this thread. It's called being a grown up.

2. Loopholes are exposed when they are used. Details have to be given to prove to mr tax man that the avoidance is legal. It just takes time get the legislation through to fill them. This is why the big accountants hold back on using new loopholes until the old ones are filled. It has nothing to do with the media.

Much of the avoidance isn't legal, and under the radar. The point being that much of this tax avoidance goes on completely unabated until someone bothers to pull them up for it.

Quote from menantoll :So now you've gone down the personal insult route? I'm not someone of importance so you don't actually read what I say you just read what you want to see and skip the rest. Thank you for confirming what I have been saying all along.

Considering you've just added several posts filled with unnecessary and thoroughly corny sarcastic laughter (a poor attempt at sharp cynicism perhaps?), then just instructed me to 'grow a pair' as well as called me a 'looney', you're in no position to criticise me over personal insults. Don't dish out what you can't take.

And I'm sorry, but I must be honest, you really aren't that important to me, and I'm sure the feelings mutual, but that's fine by me.

Quote from menantoll :I too quoted it directly with the subtle difference of putting in bold the part that you seemed to be ignoring. But at least now I know why. I'm not someone of importance so you don't read all I write. Go you!

I understand the subtle difference, I also understand that politicians use these subtle differences to sweeten what they are saying, a concept you apparently fail to grasp.

Quote from menantoll :The irony is strong in this one.

If you must know, I skip parts of what you type because they are of little importance to the actual debate, I've already explained to you that just because a politician says something doesn't necessarily mean his actions will follow his words, its not my problem if you're unable to take in anything at more than face value.
Quote from 5haz :Much of the avoidance isn't legal, and under the radar. The point being that much of this tax avoidance goes on completely unabated until someone bothers to pull them up for it.

Tax avoidance is 100% legal, tax evasion is not.

Carry on...
With the amount of tax people have to pay in the UK - up to 60-70% of total income when you calculate overall tax burden - it's no surprise many people try to legally avoid tax.
Quote from Intrepid :With the amount of tax people have to pay in the UK - up to 60-70% of total income when you calculate overall tax burden - it's no surprise many people try to legally avoid tax.

Indeed.

Govt. even introduced schemes to help people avoid tax.
I can't recall the exact name, but there was one where employees could get bicycles through their employer and save on the VAT.
Not to mention your ridicolouss car insurance and registration prices.. i would go GTA too.
Quote from Intrepid :With the amount of tax people have to pay in the UK - up to 60-70% of total income when you calculate overall tax burden - it's no surprise many people try to legally avoid tax.

It'd be fine if it was spent where it was supposed to be. Rather than plundered by a government that called itself left wing.
Quote from 5haz :Much of the avoidance isn't legal, and under the radar. The point being that much of this tax avoidance goes on completely unabated until someone bothers to pull them up for it.

That's called tax evasion and is a very different thing.

Quote from 5haz :Considering you've just added several posts filled with unnecessary and thoroughly corny sarcastic laughter (a poor attempt at sharp cynicism perhaps?), then just instructed me to 'grow a pair' as well as called me a 'looney', you're in no position to criticism me on personal insults. Don't dish out what you can't take.

The laughter wasn't an insult. It was me laughing at what you said. The "looney" part I have to give you. My bad, I insulted you first. Sorry.

Quote from 5haz :And I'm sorry, but I must be honest, you really aren't that important to me, and I'm sure the feelings mutual, but that's fine by me.

Thats fine by me but remember it was you that wanted an "intelligent debate". I mistaking tried to have one. Only for you to "read(ing) what you want(ed) to hear as opposed to the actual words "

Quote from 5haz :I understand the subtle difference, I also understand that politicians use these subtle differences to sweeten what they are saying, a concept you apparently fail to grasp.

I like to listen to the words then wait for the actions. You and many people in that link have become judge and jury and changed his words to "I'm gonna block all these sites" Do you see that I did read it now?
Quote from 5haz :It'd be fine if it was spent where it was supposed to be.

Actually that raises a point there 5Haz. I hope none of the sponsors on that race car of yours are using it to avoid paying tax?

I would assume you'd automatically reject any sponsor who looked as if they were using it to get tax relief?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Not to mention your ridicolouss car insurance and registration prices.. i would go GTA too.

Car insurance is jacked up due to the ambulance chasing lawyer types and no-win-no-fee claims for imaginary whiplash injuries and the like.
Quote from Intrepid :Actually that raises a point there 5Haz. I hope none of the sponsors on that race car of yours are using it to avoid paying tax?

I would assume you'd automatically reject any sponsor who looked as if they were using it to avoid tax ?

Oh you're so sharp! Not sharp enough to know we don't have any sponsors though.
Quote from Bean0 :Car insurance is jacked up due to the ambulance chasing lawyer types and no-win-no-fee claims for imaginary whiplash injuries and the like.

That's some advance course english right there, didn't exactly got you, but anyway, how much would it cost me to have Golf MKII there annually? (i'm 27).
Quote from 5haz :Oh you're so sharp! Just a shame we don't have any sponsors.

... but I assume some of your competitors do have sponsors looking for tax relief.

Without competitors you would have no one to race, and thus you yourself 5Haz are a direct beneficiary of a tax loophole and a tax avoidance technique. Thus making you a hypocrite unless you report them all to the HMRC for investigation, which you haven't

BOOM - Here endeth the debate. In the words of ace Ventura - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVoKlqbz1l4
Quote from Boris Lozac :That's some advance course english right there, didn't exactly got you,

eh?

Quote from Boris Lozac :but anyway, how much would it cost me to have Golf MKII there annually? (i'm 27).

Why don't we just cut to the chase and you tell us how much is costs you?

London/UK Riots
(461 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG