The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
They said traction control isn't in their scope right now because it would take close to a year to develop.

And yes, that is straight from a dev post, a year is their length for creating TC.

Only time the TC will be an issue is 1st and 2nd gear, but when the car is straight it can be floored and stick like glue.
Win 10$

Late model @Michigan.
30 min left of practise.
2 laps of qual.
20 race laps.
funfunfun.

GET IN
I bought iRacing and i have to say i am extremely dissapointed with it.
I wouldnt even call it a game, its more of a scam to get your money.

You get 6 cars and 9 tracks with your membership.
But apparently, you cant play with them online :O

Of the games im eligble to join, i can only join 2 without having to pay for extra content...
I can play with my 6 cars and 9 tracks, offline in practice mode, but i still need to be connected to the internet to do it!
Hell if i want to host my own race, i must hire a server from, them :O
I did not pay for an online game to have it tell me i must play offline if i want to use the content i paid for.

And dont even get me started on the way it works... browser based client? WTF is with that?

Put simply, iRacing is a scam to get more money from you. Stay away from it.
Some people look into products PRIOR to purchase!
Quote from fnixws :I bought iRacing and i have to say i am extremely dissapointed with it.
I wouldnt even call it a game, its more of a scam to get your money.

You get 6 cars and 9 tracks with your membership.
But apparently, you cant play with them online :O

Of the games im eligble to join, i can only join 2 without having to pay for extra content...
I can play with my 6 cars and 9 tracks, offline in practice mode, but i still need to be connected to the internet to do it!
Hell if i want to host my own race, i must hire a server from, them :O
I did not pay for an online game to have it tell me i must play offline if i want to use the content i paid for.

And dont even get me started on the way it works... browser based client? WTF is with that?

Put simply, iRacing is a scam to get more money from you. Stay away from it.

+1 on BBT, everything you've mentioned is information you 'should' know before purchasing a product, ie, use your brain, read a little on what you about to spend your money on, damn. :monkey:
Well it is a money-making business with a sim on the side, but not a scam. You can do a decent amount of racing without buying content, and don't need to buy much to do a whole lot more.

Unfortunately you joined in week 13, in between each 12 week season where they deploy updates and there's only 1 official road and oval series for everyone to join for free. So I'd just suggest going into practice sessions and trying it out, new season starts on Tuesday GMT.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Some people look into products PRIOR to purchase!

Quote from Bawbag :+1 on BBT, everything you've mentioned is information you 'should' know before purchasing a product, ie, use your brain, read a little on what you about to spend your money on, damn. :monkey:

I did. The site says:
Quote :Unlimited racing in officially sanctioned races that run 24/7 or join member hosted races and leagues – you can even host your own race
Open practice sessions with other members 24/7
Testing and time trialing available 24/7
100% access to our simulation and member site, member forums and voice/text chat rooms
9 tracks and 6 cars come with membership – everything you need to compete in our official road and oval “rookie” series

All this says to me i have access to my 9 tracks and 6 cars for unlimited racing, time trialing and practice. and that I can even host my own races.

But i cant.
Yesterday there was 1 race with 1 car available on a shitty oval track and nobody was even practicing.
Today there is the same oval track and car but also a second track and car available. The MX5.

If i try to host my own race, it wants to charge me money.

Quote from boothy :Well it is a money-making business with a sim on the side, but not a scam. You can do a decent amount of racing without buying content, and don't need to buy much to do a whole lot more.

Unfortunately you joined in week 13, in between each 12 week season where they deploy updates and there's only 1 official road and oval series for everyone to join for free. So I'd just suggest going into practice sessions and trying it out, new season starts on Tuesday GMT.

So next week will i have access to all 6 cars and 9 tracks for online racing?
Or will i still be restricted to a limited number of practice sessions on a limited number of tracks?
Yes, week 13 there is hardly any base content races going on. The only races you can enter are street stock and Mx5 races. Don't use wk13 as a method to make any judgements on what's available in online iracing. It's really an off week for updates and some fun. Next week (S3,Week1) things will change.

Next week, I believe you will have access to racing Legends, Street Stock, SRF, Solstice and MX5 Roadster/CUP cars in online races.The tracks they use will be all of the free tracks. They change the tracks from week to week in each series. It's like a real racing series, the track doesn't change every day or every hour, only once a week, but eventually the tracks will cycle all the way through so you will get to race online on most of them. Races start every hour or every two hours depending on the series. There will be good participation in these races and most of the time they will be full. Remember though your time zone is way off that of EU and USA. 3pm-10pm AEST tends to slacken off a bit.

(Rookie) The mx5s and Legends only run on two tracks each alternating week by week, this is the rookie series and it's kept simple so newbie drivers don't have to learn 9+ tracks to stay competative.

(Rookie 3.0+ SR) The SRF/Solstice & Street Stock races run through all the free tracks swapping each week.

All this base content kept me quite busy for a full month & 1/2 non stop racing initially.

The web browser interface seemed weird to me at first as well and I didn't understand the point of it. After a while you realise that it is more powerful than a game user interface, everything is done through this - making hosts, looking for up upcomming races, checking your career and follow your friends where they are racing. It makes sense after using it for a while.

Yes you need an internet connection to even play alone. This is for authentification/anti priracy, but it is not that often your internet is down so while seemingly weird at first, it becomes negligible.

Yes you have to pay for server time to host sessions, but it's quite cheaper now (50c/hr) and you get a quality service (good ping and throughput). It's really much better suited to leagues running their own events. You might start a session and no-one joins it so you end up wasting the server time. If you have a server in LFS then usually you're paying for that through a hosting service as well.

I initially felt the same way as you when I first joined about the things you said. After a while it makes more sense. About the money making... I think they don't even make a profit yet, I might be wrong, but I thought they spent $18m on starting it up and still haven't broken even yet. Anyway I have no regret on the money I've spent there and I'm a pretty cheap tightarse when it come to cash.
Quote from DevilDare :Harder doesn't mean more realistic. And if its realism iRacing is aiming for, it should have TC like the real thing does.

True, but I was talking about fun, not realism
And you define fun?

You might find it fun, others might not.
Pretty sure I define what's fun for me. How about you?
I really just don't care for this at all. The cup car at watkins is worse than it was before.

Can someone tell me why it won't brake in a straight line? Like...its the iracing basic setup and I hit the brakes with no lockup and the car just darts all over the place.

The skippy is meh. It was more fun before.

I frequently get cars to do things I've never seen happen in real life. The way they behave is very strange at times.
Quote from Jertje :Pretty sure I define what's fun for me. How about you?

Exactly, for you. You are not the only one who plays iRacing though.
So.. the NTM is messed up? What are people saying about it in the iRacing forums? Is it a total shitfest..?
Quote from DevilDare :Exactly, for you. You are not the only one who plays iRacing though.

I'll retract my letter of advice to David Kaemmer on why he should definitely not make TC for the cars because it would kill the fun.

No really, why are you so interested in what I regard to be fun and why I should keep these particular opinions to myself? It's not like I am developing the sim, or what?
Quote from Gnomie :So.. the NTM is messed up? What are people saying about it in the iRacing forums? Is it a total shitfest..?

Complete shitfest. The NTM seems very polarizing. Lots of people at both extremes, hate it and love it.

I think it's an improvement but it still needs work. The Ford GT does some very strange things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfCdfkvgYs
I think the biggest problem with the ntm is that it makes every car drive like they have extremely low inertias and lots of sidewall flex. Causing the cars to suddenly change direction. Plus the tire wear and tire temps seem to be very broken. Plus issues with ffb being broken too.

I did some driving in the cot on watkins and it is imho better than it was before. It's clear the ntm needs a lot of work though. My biggest issue is the "spongyness" of the cars. It's like the tire flexing is overdone and not damped at all and causes some strange handling issues.
Yeah the cars still don't feel like real cars. They feel like sim cars.
back to square one it seems
Quote from Tuze :back to square one it seems

Well it depends on your perspective, it definetly an improvement over the old model in many respects but on the other hand its apears that more of the tyre features are not finnished on the NTM compared to OTM and that it was brought out in too much of a hurry.

So some will say it's a step forward but a long way from being finnished and were at square 1.2-1.5 while others will see it as a step backwards so they feel it is at square 0.5-0.8 and everybody was expecting to be at square 2.0 and we aren't so yeah it is a real shitfest which will take some time settle down.
Though just remember iRacing is a simulation of what it may feel like to drive the car in real life. Its not a exact 1-1 representation of what its like to drive in real life...
I still find iRacing fun though but these new bugs need to be swatted down before its where it should be. Its a step forward for the future but a step back form where it was.
and THIS is why scawen is taking 14 years to develop the tyre physics. He rushes it, they end up like this.
Quote from SpooNJaB :and THIS is why scawen is taking 14 years to develop the tyre physics. He rushes it, they end up like this.

Rich? :P
Quote from MadCat360 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfCdfkvgYs

I never saw this twitching myself, and this video looks more like too much countersteering for the very fast steering rack the GT has...

I'm more baffled that tyres that obviously aren't right made it through testing and no statement as to why... I mean, they're always talking about engineers working at iRacing and nobody there thought it odd to have minimum pressures you wouldn't even set on your road car?
Atlanta tire pressures for the Cup car were set to 67.5 PSI, so the Ford GT wasn't the only thing wacky.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG