The online racing simulator
#26 - PoVo
Then next time buy 4 tyres
#27 - JJ72
yeah, don't be cheap, tires for your little shopping trolley shouldn't cost much!
#28 - Jakg
Quote from Ricerguy :how much are tyres for where you are from? :o I didn't buy the tyres for buying tyres sake. if i had put them on the back it would have been a colossal waste of money and the car would still be undrivable

Depends on the size, but certainly not $505!

For 15" Toyo's, £50. For the 18" Falken's on my car, £100.
Quote from evilpimp :I always thought it would be smarter to change the fronts first because they'd wear out faster. Unless you're racing that is.

It's a "well debated" point.

Personally, I would much prefer to put new tyres at the front. On my car, the fronts delivery all of the power, do all of the steering and most of the braking. I would prefer to be able to stop and steer quicker, at the expense of the risk of oversteer (which can be corrected).
dont be cheap? i had( ALL MY MONEY) was $550, being cheap would have been buying 4 cheap tyres. I chose instead to buy 4 quality tyres that didn't have a random Chinese name stamped on them. Sigh. Well I found out today the only variable in the equation. That was the only day i drove in the wet that i had weight in my trunk (had an engine head directly to the back - dropped the cars height by 2 cm, forgot to put it back in my room, didn't want my company cutting themselves on car rubbish).

Put the car on the Hoist after work today and i've determined that it is unfit for road use. Centimeters of play between the transmission and the Tripod joints( they wiggle around causing my steering to be heavily imprecise, car wanders around while driving in a straight line), crept home really slowly with hazards on . Scary.

@ JakG - those prices for one or all 4?, for 50 euro here i could have bought 1 chinese made generic tyres (forgot the name, something with wall in it or coin), vs 86 euro for 1 bridgestone directional tyres ( at a 10% discount )
#30 - Jakg
Quote from Ricerguy :@ JakG - those prices for one or all 4?, for 50 euro here i could have bought 1 chinese made generic tyres (forgot the name, something with wall in it or coin), vs 86 euro for 1 bridgestone directional tyres ( at a 10% discount )

Per tyre, plus fitting.
Quote from TehPaws3D :That's the tristan i know, Fearless and calling people incompetent right out the gate.

:heartbeat

But not just "calling people incompetent", rather; pointing out legitimate incompetency. Quite refreshing I've missed that around here

Quote :
P.S. @ Tristan, not mph, km/h. so yea I sux? :/

I have no real idea how you could put a car out of control no matter what you did at that speed; unless it was pure ice. Any other condition even a '77 Cadillac could handle with ease (though possibly some humorous tire squeal in that case). You must've been going faster.
Yup. Probably impossible to crash a 'modern' car at anything less than 40mph without freezing or melting conditions, other than forgetting to brake in a queue of cars.
Enough water on the road (he says he should have waited out the rain, suggesting a torrential downpour) and even on good tyres (with decent tread) you can get in a lot of trouble at low speeds.
Hmmmmm... If we're talking biblical proportions without exaggeration - the sort of rainfall where you fear for the integrity of your bodypanels, then maybe I can see it being a bit tricky at 20mph. But if it's the sort of rain you can walk through without being killed dead, then my 40mph limit stands.

And that's for average drivers, not good ones.
It's true if you have tread on your rear tyres, but if you're an idiot running tyres with no tread (no, that's not slicks), rain is gonna **** you up.
Surely most people put the worn tyres on the rear just for this purpose - to make dull FWD cars fun to drive?
Arab drift!
oil on road surface during light rain, as i stated in the OP the rain had eased up and the road was just damp. Most likely oil, how else would it have happened suddenly?
Quote from Ricerguy :saw no immediate damage so i backed up and drove home at 20km/h with my hazards on, steering wheel now pointing to the left.

inspected rod ends and rack ends, no visable damage, I unbolt the steering wheel to take it off and re-adjust it, the splines are jammed. I did eventually get the steering wheel off and readjusted.

Okay, this is my concern, just because you cannot see damage doesn't mean it isn't there. You should never have to adjust the steering wheel, either the steering rack has been dislodged/bent ot the threads on a rod end got stripped knocking the tracking out. Go get the tracking checked and if that doesn't sort the steering have a mechanic poke around the rack for damage, if there isn't any then it says you've done something extreme like bent the chassis.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Okay, this is my concern, just because you cannot see damage doesn't mean it isn't there. You should never have to adjust the steering wheel, either the steering rack has been dislodged/bent ot the threads on a rod end got stripped knocking the tracking out. Go get the tracking checked and if that doesn't sort the steering have a mechanic poke around the rack for damage, if there isn't any then it says you've done something extreme like bent the chassis.

What he said

lol @ adjusting the steering wheel...are you ****ing retarded?
I bet it crab walks down the road now LOL
Quote from Klutch :I bet it crab walks down the road now LOL

He could enter Nascar.
Kids today, eh? I'm surprised no one else picked it up sooner.
wow Halarity ensues, I checked and aligned the steering on a ramp etc, realised that the splines were JAMMED, literally sitting on each other in the steering wheel, obviously that had to be fixed. Kids today, eh?
Oil + Rain = Skid Pad Fun!

Rain brings the oil on the tarmac to the surface, so it gets even worse then just being wet. This often happens at intersections as all cars will travel that section of road so it can get, 2 times or even 3 times the normal amount of oil.

There was a patch of road where I live that once I got wet you could do donuts in a 4 cylinder giving it only half throttle. It was great fun if you knew about it, scary if you did not.
Quote from roadrash17 :In the US, the better tires go on the back no matter what because not every boob with a car knows how to control oversteer lol

this and the " everyone understands understeer " bullshit is complete and utter horse shit.

Seriously: ive got heaps of driving exp under my belt, ive owned/driven most everything on the road and i can tell you quiet simply no, they cant.

8/10 will panic in the situation; regardless of weather they do or don't they'll overly compensate and well... Inevitable crash in inevitable.

and no, im not talking about too much poke comming out of a corner in a civic or same with a 320i for example, its the other way round.

If you're approach is shit, you realise it too late and can't change speed or avoid it.... then you deserve it imho.... ( ive crashed more cars then i care to count.... )
I've had over and under steer from my van and I find I can control over steer more naturally than I can under steer. When you're going wind because of under steer, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than straighten the wheels and hope you don't run out of road before having another crack at the corner. With over steer, I found I naturally turn into the skid and control the situation without panicinc. I've under steered 4 times now, 1 was due to ice, 2 aquaplaning and 1 going into a corner way too hot for the tyres. Each time all I could do was take off some steering and just hope for the best.
Also, cars automatically correct oversteer without driver intervention (although they don't always do it enough or unwind the lock fast enough once caught - so don't let the car do it completely!)
Would explain why I find it so easy to correct over steer.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG