The online racing simulator
The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :It is a fact, spending money on anything you don't need to survive is a waste of money. Only difference is, I'm not a mug, so I don't pay monthly for any games I play. Would you pay monthly for a football? Or cricket gear? No. You buy it for life and use it when you need/want to.

So, LFS is a waste of money?

Anyway, I spend more money going to play 5 a side football every week than I spend a month on iRacing.

Moose, the Rolling Stones, fact!
Quote from DeKo :So, LFS is a waste of money?

Well... yes, but the ammount of use I've had over just 24£ has repayed itself. I haven't needed to buy any other race sims because LFS has sufficed them all.
Quote from DeKo :So, LFS is a waste of money?

Anyway, I spend more money going to play 5 a side football every week than I spend a month on iRacing.

Moose, the Rolling Stones, fact!

i don't play football or iracing.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If J@kto thinks that iRacing is the best money he's spent on racing than that's a fact which is personal to him. I won't insult you in the hope that one day you and I may fornicate.

Hehe, Not a chance friend.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Jamie.. I think your gut will get in the way of that one!

I KID! I KID!

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I AM NOT THAT FAT. :sadbanana

You guys just don't get along do you?
p.s Thanks alot for the mega laugh.
It's in the nature of humour.
Im kinda ANTI-iRacing here
(God damn everything now days had a "i" infront. Whats next a iToilet?)

Im not gonna argue that iRacing is proberly the best sim racing around, Ive played it but I cant afford to toss money around on a game (Like 500 bucks a year w/e), You cant drift in iRacing (Well atleast its NOTHING like LFS, which is more realistic), and I cant grip race, I hate it (Opinion)

Anyways, I have played rFactor and i like it, pretty good for its class
But I would seriously try LFS again, there are still a few pro racing guys around or just start drifting hehe :P
isn't the "i" short for "internet"?
Quote from dadge :isn't the "i" short for "internet"?

So your saying its a internetPod or and internetPad?
Yes? Could you now show me some drift crews who use it as a major drift game? Its like GT5, you can drift it but its not meant to be a drift sim...

LFS is made with physics that allow you to drift.

Where going WAY off topic here anyway
Sorry guys. Limited time to go through it all, but the new patch is pretty much just a klunky alt-click thing to select open circuits, plus some collision fixes, or am I missing something?

I suppose the open tracks and long time collision problem is a huge amount of work, but honestly nowhere near enough to get me back into this, unless I`ve really missed some new tracks/cars or something else.

Good to hear some of the overly limiting parts of the engine are being expanded tho (like the limited draw paths of previous releases), as it must make future track development easier at least.
Only thing iRacing lacks for proper drifting is either a high power street car with semislicks (Mustang has the power, but it has full slicks afaik), or street tire option for the lower tier cars (MX-5, Solstice). That's the only limiting factor.

The physics are fine for it!
Quote from lazer21 :Yes? Could you now show me some drift crews who use it as a major drift game? Its like GT5, you can drift it but its not meant to be a drift sim...

LFS is made with physics that allow you to drift.

Where going WAY off topic here anyway

The whole thread is off topic anyway.

You're being silly. If a game is a "drift sim" then it would have to be simulating real life physics, in order to simulate drifting accurately, right? Same thing with what you sadly refer to as "grip racing" - to simulate it properly you'd want real life physics to be replicated as closely as possible.

Note that the requirements are the same.

Drifting is easier in LFS because it happens to be one activity that highlights some of LFS' flaws, that's all. Also the setups in LFS are not limited like they are in iRacing and it's easier to make a setup conducive to easy drifting.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
Drifting is easier in LFS because it happens to be one activity that highlights some of LFS' flaws, that's all. Also the setups in LFS are not limited like they are in iRacing and it's easier to make a setup conducive to easy drifting.

even tho LFS has some pretty big flaws its still is the closest thing to real life drifting there is atm, steering techniques in LFS for drifting are pretty much the same as real life

Quote from Matrixi :Only thing iRacing lacks for proper drifting is either a high power street car with semislicks (Mustang has the power, but it has full slicks afaik), or street tire option for the lower tier cars (MX-5, Solstice). That's the only limiting factor.

The physics are fine for it!

its to hard to tell if the physics are fine for it, there are no cars or tyres that suitable for full on drifting and i doubt it ever will have them, kinda sucks because i only really drift when i play sims and iracing is a great sim
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The whole thread is off topic anyway.

You're being silly. If a game is a "drift sim" then it would have to be simulating real life physics, in order to simulate drifting accurately, right? Same thing with what you sadly refer to as "grip racing" - to simulate it properly you'd want real life physics to be replicated as closely as possible.

Note that the requirements are the same.

Drifting is easier in LFS because it happens to be one activity that highlights some of LFS' flaws, that's all. Also the setups in LFS are not limited like they are in iRacing and it's easier to make a setup conducive to drifting.

Yes, that is a flaw in LFS, you can easily make a different version of the car (ie: UF2) unlike iRacing. I tested my brother's iRacing commentator license with my G27 (sadly limited to 200degrees) and the physics are impressive.

I'm satisfied with my LFS license anyway.
I love everybody in a way that isn't gay in hopes that people would finally talk sense.
Quote from CodieMorgan :I love everybody in a way that isn't gay in hopes that people would finally talk sense.

Talk sense? On this forum?? Stop dreaming.
Quote from masternick :
its to hard to tell if the physics are fine for it, there are no cars or tyres that suitable for full on drifting.

Can't believe you just typed that ignorance.
#120 - Zay
Quote from DeadWolfBones :One idiot piping up...

I have an iRacing subscription, but I still prefer LFS. Reasons:

1. Hate scheduled pick-up racing.
2. Hate the iR brakes. Some say LFS's are unrealistic... that "you can just mash them to the floor without locking up!"... but in most reasonable racing sets that I've used, you have to watch yourself with lockups unless you want a puncture at the end of your stint. LFS's brakes feel a lot truer to my experience both with road cars and with racing (albeit karts in my case).
3. Hate the lack of driver swaps. No endu racing.
4. Hate the incident points for minor contact or minor offs. A point beaten to death by this time but still bears mentioning.
5. Still far less of a "team-friendly" sim than LFS. At this point in my sim-racing career, being able to pursue results as a team is everything to me, and without proper team support a sim loses a lot of appeal.

There's definitely a lot to like about iR (and the rate at which it's improving is great), and a lot of areas that LFS desperately needs to improve... but for the moment LFS still serves my particular needs a lot better.

6. Not that it applies to you, but LFS is MUCH more beginner friendly.
7. LFS has drifting, drag racing, and cruising.
8. LFS has a layout editor, and if you are good at it, there really are endless possibilities.
9. You do not need to be fairly well-off to fully enjoy LFS at its full potential.
And I'm positive I could think of plenty more.
And to the guy you quoted, when I started karting, I raced in an 'arrive and drive' series, there were 3 weight/age classes, and the karts were well maintained. You didnt have to pay for the gas, helmet(although I did anyway), or kart, you just showed up and raced. All you had to pay was a registration at the start of the year, and a fee for each race. There were somewhere around 15 races in the schedule, and I dont think the yearly cost was past $900 (CAD).
In my opinion, you get more out of LFS for what you pay for compared to iRacing.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Can't believe you just typed that ignorance.

good argument you have there, i must be wrong

or maybe you could post why you think i am so ignorant
Quote from masternick :good argument you have there, i must be wrong

or maybe you could post why you think i am so ignorant

I think he said it cause if you have a RWD car with LSD and some normal amount of power... you should be able to drift it, no matter if its on slicks or street tyres... If physics engine of a sim does not allow a driver to go into bend, clutch-throttle and go sideways, then there is something terribly wrong with that sim
Quote from sabbathian :I think he said it cause if you have a RWD car with LSD and some normal amount of power... you should be able to drift it, no matter if its on slicks or street tyres...

the cars in iracing are very limited when it comes to drifting, most of the drifts you can do are low angle, its a lot different to hitting full lock around corners

there could be some huge flaws in the physics of iracing that could make it fail for big high angle drifts but because there isnt a car that can do that so nobody can say if it would be any good for drifting

Quote from sabbathian :
If physics engine of a sim does not allow a driver to go into bend, clutch-throttle and go sideways, then there is something terribly wrong with that sim

it can do that just fine, that isnt really drifting tho
iRacing will get new tyre physics, the guy behind the new physics has really gone the extra mile to understand it.

Search for it on youtube or on their site, pretty intresting to hear him talk about it.

The Cruise Patch
(127 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG