The online racing simulator
Is there life left in lfs ?
(113 posts, started )
kindasortanotreally
Yes if you try to race you will see there is a lot of life left in LFS.
Every Night great Races, great Racers, since Years.
As long as there are people, there is life.
As long as there is at least one racer online, there is a life in LFS.
I'd say there is life left, in the forums. People can take the same over and over just for so long, sadly for LFS
The problem is in my eyes the fact that Scawen needs to sooner rather than later get the tyre physics to a satisfactory level. Something that is a good improvement over the old physics but isn't perfect.

It would be a real shame if he kept trying to improve them year on year and didn't work on any other part of the game. He could spend a lifetime on tyre physics and still never get them 100% like real life or like he wanted.

We all think the tyre physics are the single most important thing in the game and in my eyes even the old physics are the best of any game ever made but there's no denying we would also love new features like weather, new tracks, car's, brake temps etc etc. If all these are being held up because of the physics then that's a real shame as I'd pay right now for new content.
You ask not being burned on a stake and just after it you say LFS is dead ( you can only ress something that is dead).
Make your mind up.
I wish they would port LFS to OpenGL 2. It would be a lot easier and faster to control and mantain graphics, and they would also be able to sell LFS for many more people (it would run natively on Mac, Linux and of course, Windows). Besides, It could also easily be ported to iOS, Symbian, WebOS, Android and other mobile OS. I'd love to play LFS on my phone! Wouldn't you?

And yes, the specs of most phones out there is just enough to play LFS very well.

I'm here too so I guess LFS is alive, though I don't show up very often because I don't have much free time left, much less to play LFS.
Velociround, you're joking, right?
Having driving *simulation* on *phone*????

No, thank you...
Quote from Nick7 :Velociround, you're joking, right?

No, thank you...

+1
Phones are for communication, not for simulations
Lfs dead = Never
Lfs forum = Messy

We dont need new cars!!!!!!!! We need new TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from justasimfan :
So what do you think ?

Im wondering why a demo player is even bothered tbh?
LFs is still alive & is still one of the best online racing simulators money can buy.
Quote from Nick7 :Velociround, you're joking, right?

No, thank you...

Real Racing 2's producers Firemint beg to disagree. Their iPhone game features real time physics, real cars, real tracks, tires and suspension simulation, real time weather (with rain and several different settings!), real time lighting and shadow systems, as well as different time of the day settings and cockpit (inside the car) view. It runs on OpenGL 2.0 at 960x640, has more constant updates than LFS and is also a lot cheaper. Not to mention higher polygon count on cars and all other features LFS as a PC game just doesn't have, but even most mobile games do have. I haven't played it myself but all of its videos look really good, and if I hadn't told you beforehand it is a mobile game you would search google to find out where to buy this game for PC.

Oh, I almost forgot: you can also drive the Volkswagen Scirocco.

By the way, if LFS devs port this to Symbian, you will be able to play LFS in 1280x720p on your HDMI display with your G27 wheel plugged on USB OTG.
(I guess one can never dream too much )

Come on, even if you dislike the idea of putting it on a mobile phone, just think about how better graphics would get, faster updates and native compatibility with Mac and Linux (we do have these kind of users here! I'm a Windows user though).
First thing that crosses my mind is: oh noes... so many under-aged teenagers who wanna crash at everything that moves.
Next thing is same kids crying how 'hard it is'... and that it should drive more realistic, like TDU2 is.

Please understand that there's difference between simulation games and.. well.. rest of games
I really do not understand the meaning of the OP's question?

With over 8-900 multiplayer LFS sessions active, who can say it's boring now?

LFS is still the most graphically realistic game there is - Period! The scenery is faultless and the gameplay is superb. Okay some of the collision effects need to be worked on it's true but on the whole, this game has no comparison with any other on P.C.

I used GT4 for a while on a PS2 and the graphics were fantasticly real, but game consoles will always outshine those for P.C.

I'd like to see the Nordshleife in LFS and more tracks too but the code is okay for me.

The problem with adding more features would mean higher spec computers to run them with. Not everyone is flush with cash to spare to chase them. Boredom only sets in because of a lack of participation, in my opinion.

On the 'Schumie' server we have longer races and mature competition participants.
Come on over and beat me, if you can, because if you don't, you have been beaten by a 70 year old and maybe that would be too hard on you?

Long Live LFS
What brings into you that want of living your life? New activities, possibilities, life motion feeling. LFS's life is missing that, that life motion. The potential is getting down. Developers, please bring the new feelings, bring the life back.
There has been about 1000-1200 players online every evening since...well since I started playing so no lfs is not dying. Yet.
Quote from Velociround :I wish they would port LFS to OpenGL 2. It would be a lot easier and faster to control and mantain graphics, and they would also be able to sell LFS for many more people (it would run natively on Mac, Linux and of course, Windows). Besides, It could also easily be ported to iOS, Symbian, WebOS, Android and other mobile OS. I'd love to play LFS on my phone! Wouldn't you?

Well, LFS runs on Linux just great, almost as good as on windows(with wine). I would also love to see it remade with OpenGL(3.1+ ) but it would take a lot of time to do so.
You should also know that in OpenGL there are more low-level things that programmer has to take care of... unless you use some highier level library like GLUT or GLEW for game window and stuff... and also SDL for input management and sound etd(quite easy)
Last but not least, i would play it on mobile phone but only if I had external keyboard+mouse or wheel and external monitor

If I wrote something in wrong way, please forgive me... its Friday
Quote from g7usl :The problem with adding more features would mean higher spec computers to run them with. Not everyone is flush with cash to spare to chasee

I really don't think this is a good argument. What are 99 bucks for a new graphics card when you've spent like 300 or more dollars on a G27? And if you are going to tell me "not everybody has a G25/27", then what's the point of simulating if you don't have the necessary input to really simulate (for those talking about simulation)? What's more, if you're going to play with keyboard and mouse anyway, what's the problem with porting it to mobile and playing on a screen? (addressing most of the points in this thread)

I believe money is not the problem. The developers seem to just don't want to implement graphics. Even DirectX 8 supports many of the features people have been asking (weather conditions, some "cooler" graphics, etc). The problem is, it is getting too old. And I still think OpenGL would be faster and easier in that matter once they ported LFS to it.

But that doesn't matter, they'll do whatever they want with their game and I'll be happy to check this out when it's done. I'm already happy I bought this simulator, I had a pretty good time with it.
Graphic is good enough in LFS.

Better to make all other thinks first and the Graphic update to last.
So the Devs dont need to rework it again and again every year because some people think we need DX11 or 12 or 13 in a Sim.

Graphic is "very useless" when you play a Sim.
I dont need any Car or Track i need a better Physics because the fun of LFS is the feel of the Wheel.

Better Graphics is a very little Improvment for me.
Quote from justasimfan :Still they could buy ultra realistic models from 3d modeling markets like Turbosquid but i don't believe they are going to...

Turbosquid is a rip off who only support American artists. Overseas authors are shafted and receive so little of the profit that despite getting the best sales figures of all his affiliate sites my brother found he was earning less than most of his other channels and has since quit the site in disgust after Turbosquid kept increasing his prices over his competitors citing that the quality differential meant they didnt want him being cheaper too. Good models on Turbosquid are typically 3-4 times more expensive than on other channels.

That rant aside the quality of purchased models is very inconsistent, using off the shelf media is fine for holding graphics whilst you are developing, or for set pieces or such like - but finding one that is rigged correctly for your game engine, especially when using a bespoke engine like LFS, meens there is often just as much work converting the model as getting your in house artist to make one for you.

Now the in house artists for LFS we know has produced a lot of new models but has yet to get them "perfect" enough to send them to Scawen for inclusion in the game. In any case it seems Scawen too has been struggling with low productivity because he too is distracted trying to get things "perfect" enough, so it's harldy fair to point fingers at Eric in this regard.

Regarding only have a frontwheel hatchback to race with, have you considered getting a licence for the other cars, I notice the OP account was demo - and one of the grips was not enough content...?

None-the-less after 2 or 3 years play you will most likely find yourself bored again of the extra content in S2. Mind you, that's not bad for £24 right?

I don't play LFS any more myself, after a few years of it being the only game I played I've actually gone back to not playing games again. The question isn't "what can LFS do to keep you interested after a few years play?", there's only so far that £24 will stretch afterall. The question is "What can you play afterwards that's even half as engrossing?".

Personally I turned to guitar. Sadly it cost more than £24 and i'm really struggling with the gameplay.
Quote from justasimfan :But...will it be enough to resurrect the game ?

No.

Quote from Becky Rose :Now the in house artists for LFS we know has produced a lot of new models but has yet to get them "perfect" enough to send them to Scawen for inclusion in the game.

How do we know this?
Quote from Huru-aito :How do we know this?

++

i've heard this rumour as well, and i still believe that it's only a rumour.
Quote from g7usl :I really do not understand the meaning of the OP's question?

With over 8-900 multiplayer LFS sessions active, who can say it's boring now?

LFS is still the most graphically realistic game there is - Period! The scenery is faultless and the gameplay is superb. Okay some of the collision effects need to be worked on it's true but on the whole, this game has no comparison with any other on P.C.

I used GT4 for a while on a PS2 and the graphics were fantasticly real, but game consoles will always outshine those for P.C.

I'd like to see the Nordshleife in LFS and more tracks too but the code is okay for me.

The problem with adding more features would mean higher spec computers to run them with. Not everyone is flush with cash to spare to chase them. Boredom only sets in because of a lack of participation, in my opinion.

On the 'Schumie' server we have longer races and mature competition participants.
Come on over and beat me, if you can, because if you don't, you have been beaten by a 70 year old and maybe that would be too hard on you?

Long Live LFS

Well i would agree with you 6 years ago that lfs was looking quite good (especially with the community texture updates) but since then things have progressed a lot!

Have a look at rfactor with some of the best mods out there.It has better real time lighting,a better engine and there are some really sweet tracks and cars to race on.From norchliefe,rouen,spa,monza,touge tracks,barcelona,brand hatch,isle of man,slvestone,valensia,macau,pau,singapure,monaco,le mans,oran park,road atlanta to even targa florio is almost finished....

Or look at the latest gtr evo/race on from sim bin.Granded its not perfect physics wise but there are some sweet cockpit with great animations for drivers and pit crew,fantastic weather effects and some exellent ai...

And there is also netkar which while sadly very limited looks much nicer than lfs.
There should be more pure racing servers what lfs is originaly based on. I just cant understand this cruise shit

Is there life left in lfs ?
(113 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG