The online racing simulator
Getting annoyed with drifting
(20 posts, started )
Hey, ive been mastering the sim for a long time now but when it comes to drifting im crap. I understand the principals and entry but every time on the exit it snaps back the opposite way and spins out. I cant overcome this..........what am i doing wrong.

Alan
I think you need to exit the corner more "smoothly" and not try to turn the wheel to the other side in the last moment, but a replay of your drifting would help us help you.
Post replay.

However, it sounds like you're leaving too much countersteer angle as the yaw angle decreases.
Try to do more relaxing when drifting. Don't overstress. Be slow and easy on the wheel, try to have controle over the car. Don't slam the wheel everywhere

Some tips from a good experienced drifter
#5 - dadge
if you use a logitech wheel (DFP,DF:GT,G25,G27)and use 900° steering. the quick fix is to reduce the rotation to say ~400°. this will speed up your reaction times and reduce the chance of you losing the slide due to the car snapping out.
long term, you need to learn to correct the cars steering angle sooner. you need to learn to recognise what the car is going to do in the next second and anticipate the snap sooner.
Quote from dadge :if you use a logitech wheel (DFP,DF:GT,G25,G27)and use 900° steering. the quick fix is to reduce the rotation to say ~400°. this will speed up your reaction times and reduce the chance of you losing the slide due to the car snapping out.
long term, you need to learn to correct the cars steering angle sooner. you need to learn to recognise what the car is going to do in the next second and anticipate the snap sooner.

That's literally the same as drifting with a steering lock mod. I learned to drift with 720°, and I still do. But 900° is a lot to start to drift with. Keep to 720° or less.
#7 - dadge
Quote from DenonForce14 : Keep to 720° or less.

That's literally the same as drifting with a steering lock mod. Basically, i just said that.
Start with slight power-overs(see the drift bible) from the corners, then it's just a lot of practice. If you use a wheel with 900°, start with 540°, then move to 720 and then to 900.
You guys sound like driftkings haha xD
Don't waste your time. Stick to racing properly.
Just do it and do it again until you can do it.

DO IT.
#12 - PoVo
Yea, we'll get accused of animal troll cruelty
The best way to learn to drift is practice practice and more practice.

When it comes to drifting throttle control is just if not more as important as your counter steer, like racing, everyone has their own style so try lots of different setups or tweaking until you find something you like.

If you are using a G25/27 I recommend using a manual clutch as clutch kicking can save you a lot of hassle and eliminate the task of a Scandinavian flick when need be.

I use 720 degrees for both racing and drifting, for me personally when I started I found it near impossible to pull off massive angle drifts right away, just drive as you would race and start kicking out the tail coming out of corners until you get enough skill to gradually increase the amount you can comfortably slide.

Mastering the art of drifting can greatly improve your race skills and evasive driving ability when things get a bit hectic.

I have attached my personal setup, it's different than most in that it is initially based off the characteristics of a soft sprung Arabian Drift setup, I have disabled the front brakes on it as I don't have a hand brake leaver so you may want to fix up the balance to your desire.

Happy drifting
Attached files
XRT_My drift.set - 132 B - 752 views
See this if you didn't yet.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :You guys sound like driftkings haha xD

everyone is these days... and i guess the japs are the only real drifters...

in their boats n shit
Densha de D! multi-track drifting! I think you need another set of track to prevent that snap understeer.
Now for some real advice, since this is a simulator, we are siting at a desk where we cannot feel Gs. So having an extra visual cue Helps predict just what the car is doing, as well as what it might do really soon.

Try adjusting the "look sensitivity" in options>View>look function. Set it to steer, a slider will appear beneath that says "look sensitivity. Use the slider to find a good setting.

I have mine set to .7 which is good for both drifting and racing for me. The trick is to get the view to look into the counter steer so that you are looking where the car is going, rather than looking at the apex.

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG