The online racing simulator
Right-foot brakers unite!
(82 posts, started )
Quote from sgt.flippy :It's just a matter of being used to.

thats it!
Quote from yegadoyai :I played GPL ALOT before getting LFS and as I have no clutch pedal then I'm a lefty. However I brake with the right foot in real life, but that is mainly because all the cars I've driven are FWD.

What does that have to do with anything?
^^ I wanted to ask the same question, but I was scared to look like a noob, in case there was something that had to do with it...
#29 - Goop
I don't chop and change for each car; I find my left foot has enough dexterity and 'feel' to do all my braking.

Anyone with a 2-pedal setup, using just the one foot, I'd suggest you switch to a 2-foot/split axis setting, just for a week. Turn off blips and cuts, and learn to balance your car. I reckon you'll be a better driver for it.
Sorry to clog up your RFB thread further but I too am a left-foot braker. Do it in my real car too but only because my right foot is in rough shape right now and left-foot braking in my real car minimizes the amount of stress on my right foot.

But in the process my left foot has become just as sensitive and agile as my right foot. I've always LFB'ed in games since I began using a wheel but would love to master heel-toe if only I had a clutch pedal.
back when i had a clutch i used my right foot alot for braking
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm a right foot braker both in sims and in real life. People are always saying I should learn to left foot brake and I'd be faster, but Mark Skaife is a right foot braker and he seems to do alright.

Greg Murphy is a left foot braker (I think) and he says it's better for trail braking and allows quicker throttle response as you never take the foot off the throttle pedal etc, and he's the fastest man at the mountain, it's an interesting discussion though, with more automatic cars and older drivers like me (49) driving autos ( by circumstance, not choice) I have little choice in real life. I can drive manuals fast, mastered heel/toe many years ago and because of that and have always preferred to RFB, given also that it was taught way back when I got licensed that was the way to go.

As well ppl back then suggested 'never brake in a corner no matter what' ( silly driving instructors) but I guess cars in the seventies were not strong on brakes or suspension like we have now
RFB FTW!

I drive both a manual and an automatic on a daily basis IRL, and the only times I've ever experimented with LFB my left foot thinks it's a clutch (my clutch is pretty stiff) and presses really hard even though I tell it not to, and I end up with skidmarks on the road and in my pants.

Driving with the DFP, I think I've become good at switching my right foot from accelerator to brake quickly but smoothly - Whenever I get sloppy and hear the pedal slam back into place I wince, thinking of all the threads here for people with broken pedals =-/
I have no doubt that lfb has the potential to be better. But I don't like the feel of it, prefer to drive as I do irl. Every time I try to learn I stab the brake every gearchange
I crank the idle right up (via dxtweak2) for the fwd's to overcome the deficit, and can still manage wr pace in them...
Quote from Goop :I don't chop and change for each car; I find my left foot has enough dexterity and 'feel' to do all my braking.

Anyone with a 2-pedal setup, using just the one foot, I'd suggest you switch to a 2-foot/split axis setting, just for a week. Turn off blips and cuts, and learn to balance your car. I reckon you'll be a better driver for it.

I have dual axis but I right foot brake with blips and cuts off
Quote from ShannonN :Greg Murphy is a left foot braker (I think) and he says it's better for trail braking and allows quicker throttle response as you never take the foot off the throttle pedal etc, and he's the fastest man at the mountain...

Yeah, but Murph's an ass. I mean WTF was that move on Ambrose last year?

In all seriousness, I wish they'd get a footwell cam on Murph's car. I do love watching Skaife-cam though...even though he's a RFB primarily.
My early attempts at LFB in a real car invariably ended up in a screeching halt. But then I tried LFB in LFS and I started to develop a finer sensitivity with my left foot. Now I can LFB fairly confidently in real cars, but I rarely attempt it in manuals because I'm usually changing gear (and therefore using my left foot on the clutch) when under brakes. Consequently, I only LFB for fleeting moments when tuning my line mid corner.

But in an auto my left foot gets bored and it's LFB all the way.
You guys are crazy! illepall

You know how people say that LFS takes over your life and some dude went to press the buttons on his steering wheel so he could look left while driving a real car.....

If you guys start braking with your left foot in real cars then that's dangerous!
Quote from Shinanigans :If you guys start braking with your left foot in real cars then that's dangerous!

that's why i haven't started left foot braking, because i fear i'll get used to it and run into problems while driving around town. :bananadea :ambulance
OK, I am wierd - but in my real car, since it's an auto (wife....), if I'm in the mood I will LFB just so I can blip the thottle as I manually downshift the auto trans. I've got it down to an art, and now I can smoothly shift down without the characteristic jerk of manually downshifting an auto. I can predict what the clutches in the trans are going to do 99% of the time perfectly, it's really a thing of beauty... sort of. Confuses the hell out of passengers and bystanders though I can tell you that.... People are not used to hearing a little intake growl while blipping an auto on downshifts!

I've never met another person who matched revs in an auto, and not one that even knew it could be done.
Quote from Shinanigans :You guys are crazy! illepall

You know how people say that LFS takes over your life and some dude went to press the buttons on his steering wheel so he could look left while driving a real car.....

If you guys start braking with your left foot in real cars then that's dangerous!

just how exactly is it dangerous ?

when im driving an auto i always lfb, its all a question of getting used to it, when you first start driving you cant judge braking with your right foot but you soon learn and lfb has the advantage of quickening your reactions when you wan to go from throttlwe to brake. if you rfb then when you want to slow you firstly have to stop accelerating before starting to brake whilst with lfb you can start to brake whilst you are lifting your foot off throttle, also i tend to use brake and throttle together to balance the car through bends.
Quote from Shinanigans :You guys are crazy! illepall

he he. I DO brake with my left foot in my real car. But only when I can enter a corner without a downchange. People call me clever dick but it aint that clever.
#43 - Vain
In real life you only need left foot braking when you want to stay on the gas while braking (e.g. when keeping turboboost while braking, or when dynamically adjusting brake balance). As this is very stressfull on all components of the drivetrain this is only appropiate in racing or rallying, and even there only if you have buckets of money to spend on new components.
Blipping is always done via heeltoeing.
So you only need left-foot-braking when you want to screw the car.

And @ blipping torque-converters: Poor torque converter, poor torque converter.

Vain
Quote from Vain :In real life you only need left foot braking when you want to stay on the gas while braking (e.g. when keeping turboboost while braking, or when dynamically adjusting brake balance). As this is very stressfull on all components of the drivetrain this is only appropiate in racing or rallying, and even there only if you have buckets of money to spend on new components.
Blipping is always done via heeltoeing.
So you only need left-foot-braking when you want to screw the car.

And @ blipping torque-converters: Poor torque converter, poor torque converter.

Vain

i use left foot braking when I feel the onset of understeer. I just touch the brake and the front tightens. Keeping a touch of throttle on just seems to make the car feel more stable.

I wouldn't do this on the road though. There is no need. If you are cornering on the road near the limits of adhesion (the only time this technique is useful) you are asking to kill or mame someone/be killed or mamed
I brake with my right and even heel to and blip accelerator when downshifting, call me old fashioned but thats how u do it in real life
I allways do left-foot braking. The funny thing is, I never had a problem with it, allthough I drove a total of about 100000km in real life cars before I started playing LFS (which was the first - and last - racing sim in my life).

As soon as I get into my real life car, I use right foot braking (even in close situation where I have to react immediately). In LFS I never really thought about right-foot braking (maybe I'm also too lazy to lift my right foot all the time :shrug.
I have a 2 pedal set, and only use on foot. Many, many times I said I would learn to brake with the left foot, but then a new race comes up !?

I know I would be faster with two feets on the pedals - Just have to force myself into learning it.
First of all, LFB in real Life is not dangerous at all. As was said before, if you've gotten used to it, it's just as safe as RFB. Taxi drivers do it all the time to stress both sides of the body a little more evenly (erm, bad example as far as safety goes - Taxi drivers are dangerous ). I used to LFB all the time in my good old automatic Nissan Sunny, but I don't do it anymore as my good old Audi 80 has manual gear box (measly four gears, actually). In LFS I LFB as I feel it is much easier and faster, as said before.

About heel-toeing in LFS: I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think it would be very effective, as there's virtually no way I could get my right foot on the gas-pedal properly and controlled while fully pushing the breaks. Might be that I'm not loose-jointed enough (very likely) or I need to set up the pedals on my FFGP differently, so that I would have full break power when the pedal is only half compressed, or something - don't know, but I guess I'll keep LFB. Unless I should get a clutch pedal or the G25 one day (not very likely) .
I LFB in lfs as its just easier IMO when only having 2 pedals.
A question to all those who RFB because it feels un-natural to LFB - how do you manage if you go karting? (for exampe) Would be funny to see you trying to RFB then lol.
Quote from der_jackal :Yeah, but Murph's an ass. I mean WTF was that move on Ambrose last year?

In all seriousness, I wish they'd get a footwell cam on Murph's car. I do love watching Skaife-cam though...even though he's a RFB primarily.

What move on Ambrose? U mean the pass where ambrose refused to move 2 inches and let the pass go cleanly or was it just a case of "I'm the touring car champ" in a second rate FORD and I'll hold my line cause I'm d man sorta thing, sure it spoiled a good race for all but Murphs a race car driver, we wont talk about the many numbers Ambrose & Ingall did on Skaife now will we?

When Fords have won more races than Holdens at Bathurst, come and see me, I'll buy you a pint

Right-foot brakers unite!
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG