The online racing simulator
Right-foot brakers unite!
(82 posts, started )
Does anyone still right-foot brake? I cannot stand using my left foot to brake but I'm guessing that I'm a bit slower as a result. I have only used logitech wheels, (LWFF, Force, DFP) and I cant imagine braking with my left foot.
Since my first wheel I always used the brake with my left foot, I wouldn't know how to brake with my right foot
same here left foot braking, but once I get my shifter setup and my clutch pedal working I will start working on heel-toe brake method and I will be back to right foot braking =)
#4 - Aphot
If I had a wheel id use my right foot for gas and brake. If it had a clutch pedal id use my left foot for clutch. But I use a joystick so :/.
Pah, right foot braking sucks - until you master heel-toeing that is. If you don't, you simply have no chance of quickly balancing the car and besides that, the pedals take a lot more (lifespan-shortening) beating, too.
#6 - Vain
My right foot has all the feel. That's propably because of my right-foot-braking in my real car.
I do use left-foot-braking where it is necessary for the balance of the car. The FOX and FO8 often requires this to avoid unsettling the car, and you obviously need (some) left foot braking in rallying.
But in all sections where I have to brake with feel, where I need the right control of the brake pedal, I only use the right foot. The right foot is the one for subtle and precise pedal-input. The left foot is only used when I need to handle two pedals at once and where heeltoeing doesn't give the right results.

Vain
I've always braked with my right foot. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. I've tried with my left, and it just feels so odd.

I find it funny how many people who are "purists" brake solely with their left foot. I wonder how many left foot brakers actually use LFB in real life?

By the way, my real car is an auto, so it only has two pedals, and I brake with my right foot there, too.
It's not difficult to switch between two-pedal setup (left foot braking) to full pedal set (right foot braking + heel/toe) once you've driven both styles for a while.
i wonder if any WR was set with right foot braking
#10 - Gunn
An advantage of LFB is the ability to apply both brake and throttle simultaneously in independent increments (must have seperate axis selected for pedals).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Right foot all the way because over here most cars are manuals so LFB would feel unnatural.
I'm a right foot braker both in sims and in real life. People are always saying I should learn to left foot brake and I'd be faster, but Mark Skaife is a right foot braker and he seems to do alright.
st0rm (E.Parent) in our team,is using his right foot...his nickname is monofoot!
I've always used my right foot and never wanted to learn otherwise. I do just fine with it so I don't see why I'd need to change.

Can't make that much of difference illepall

Viva la revolution!
Went from a two pedal setup and left foot braking to a three pedal setup and right foot braking with heel & toe a couple of weeks ago. I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost 20 years yet despite that I still had a hard time initially adjusting to using a clutch and right foot braking in sims. It feels completely natural now that I have adapted and although I still mess up the occasional downshift using heel & toe and my laptimes are a few seconds off my previous personal bests, I find my time in game much more challenging and rewarding.
My LFB or RFB depends on my wheel setup. Here at my mother's pc (with my old FFGP wheel) i do left foot braking, at my own pc which uses 3 pedals i can't imagine left braking (except in the BF1)
Depends. Using only two pedals with autoclutch on, I left foot brake. I don't do it IRL on the rare occation I drive auto, otherwise I instictively think its a clutch. In LFS it just feels natural illepall

But for everything except single seaters, I use 3 pedals, and a H shifter. I almost always right foot brake with this setup, but use my left foot sometimes, mostly on the turbo'd cars when a gearchange is not necessary.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm a right foot braker both in sims and in real life. People are always saying I should learn to left foot brake and I'd be faster, but Mark Skaife is a right foot braker and he seems to do alright.

If you're not gonna LFB, and you're gonna model Skaifey, then learn to carry the last part of your braking in to the corner. :P

I LFB in real life, in both automatic AND manual vehicles.

/*waits for people to freak out*/
Right foot only.

Same reasons as Vain.
Quote from AndroidXP :Pah, right foot braking sucks - until you master heel-toeing that is. If you don't, you simply have no chance of quickly balancing the car and besides that, the pedals take a lot more (lifespan-shortening) beating, too.

i right foot brake and i dont heel-toe, wanna race me?
You guys should get your feet checked, I have the same feeling of sensitivity in my left foot as in the right one. I even have some medical problems wich hurt a lot in my left foot, but for racing it's a different movement so I'm okay, but still.. It's weird you guys don't have the same feeling in your left foot. It's just natural for me to brake with my left foot, don't know why, I never even thought about braking with my right foot untill I went into a simulator at some auto show, and the person who was helping me said I wasn't allowed to brake with my left foot...
its not the sensitivity of the foot, its the brain that cant give a precise movement to the foot, im sure your left hand is has sensitive as your right hand, now try writing something with a pen with your other hand...
Quote from st0rm :i right foot brake and i dont heel-toe, wanna race me?

Me too

To be honest if you're good at RFB and not heel-toeing it can be just as fast as other techniques, it's all down to preference
I played GPL ALOT before getting LFS and as I have no clutch pedal then I'm a lefty. However I brake with the right foot in real life, but that is mainly because all the cars I've driven are FWD.
Quote from st0rm :its not the sensitivity of the foot, its the brain that cant give a precise movement to the foot, im sure your left hand is has sensitive as your right hand, now try writing something with a pen with your other hand...

Well, that was actually kinda what I was saying, I just picked the wrong words. I meant that I can be as precise with my left foot, as with my right foot.

Hands is different though, but still, I always drove with left foot braking, so if I would have started writing with my left hand, and at the same time use my right one too (like in racing with the feet), I wouldn't have a problem writing with the other hand either. It's just a matter of being used to.

(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG