The online racing simulator
redbull's pic is zoomed in, the renault, force india and lotus pic are also zoomed in a bit, judging with the tire diameter as reference.
Quote from JJ72 :redbull's pic is zoomed in, the renault, force india and lotus pic are also zoomed in a bit, judging with the tire diameter as reference.

Yea was thinkin how odd it looks, at least the picture gives a good 'silhouette' kind of comparison. As I said before the Mclaren looks really nice from the side.
Quote from J@tko :

Some interesting stuff:
  • RBR is the longest and has longest wheelbase
  • Merc has a TINY wheelbase [small fuel tank?]
  • Sauber appear to have put a spike on their front wing to aid Kobayashi's kamikaze overtakes
  • FI have a sofa on their rear wing?
Obvs Hispania and Virgin not on there yet.

there's a post on another forum where they point out the perspective on those pics are all slightly different, when they're overlaid and zoomed in there's about a 6% difference in how wide the wheel rims appear despite them all being the same diameter so you can't draw any definative conclusions from the pictures.
Quote from Vettel :"overtaking in f1 has always been difficult," vettel told la gazzetta dello sport. "whoever manages to get past gets the same sort of admiration as a goal scorer in football.

IMO, well said, he hit the nail spot on.
One of the safety concerns is an apparent delay between the pressing of the button and the time it takes for the moveable rear wing to click back into place before braking. At Jerez last week, observers said there were several drivers having problems under heavy braking after the long straight.
"There is a sort of 'no man's land' of at least 5 metres when the load on the wing is not felt yet," Jarno Trulli confirmed to Autosprint.

I was asking myself if that would happen a couple weeks ago. Even though the wing moves very quickly the airflow still needs some time to settle and transfer the load to the wheels. If there is a brief moment of rear instability every time they touch the brakes after the overtaking straight it could become a mess.
... or they press the button earlier?
From what I understood the wing goes back to normal when they touch the brakes. They are activating it with a button. It returns when they touch the brakes.

No?

The MRW will only be activated upon the driver pressing a special button on his steering wheel, and the wing will stay in its low-drag position until the driver applies the brakes.
Quote from PhilS13 :From what I understood the wing goes back to normal when they touch the brakes. They are activating it with a button. It returns when they touch the brakes.

No?

The MRW will only be activated upon the driver pressing a special button on his steering wheel, and the wing will stay in its low-drag position until the driver applies the brakes.

Oh I see. Most of them left foot brake now so if it is a problem for them they can pull a bit of brake to pop the wing back, but not so much that they activate the engine cut off.

Or they just man up and deal with it. It's F1, it's not supposed to be easy.
They all left foot brake. It's the layout of the car. Unless they have swapped throttle and brake pedals around.
The Renault team has confirmed that Nick Heidfeld will be Robert Kubica's replacement this season.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Oh I see. Most of them left foot brake now so if it is a problem for them they can pull a bit of brake to pop the wing back, but not so much that they activate the engine cut off.

Or they just man up and deal with it. It's F1, it's not supposed to be easy.

Good point. Maybe a brake tap could work. Dunno if KERS could also be used to kill the brief weirdness.

I want it to be hard... but that type of hard is just lame to me. You climb the ladder racing normal cars and then you get to F1 and the car feels like nothing you've ever driven in certain situations because of the gimmicks it carries. Seems wrong to me.
Quote from PhilS13 : You climb the ladder racing normal cars and then you get to F1 and the car feels like nothing you've ever driven in certain situations because of the gimmicks it carries. Seems wrong to me.

Agreed!
Quote from Osco :They all left foot brake. It's the layout of the car. Unless they have swapped throttle and brake pedals around.

He means they use the brake while accelerating
Quote from Osco :They all left foot brake. It's the layout of the car. Unless they have swapped throttle and brake pedals around.

Barrichello used to to brake with his right foot when he was on Ferrari. I'm not sure, but I think now he does left fott braking
What's next, Monte Carlo?
Quote from Boris Lozac :What's next, Monte Carlo?

shhh in today's world, everything can happen so I wouldn't say that if I were you.
Wow, a force majeure cancellation of an FiA sanctioned event. I can't remember the last time that happened. I don't think it has happened in my life time.
Quote from Dygear :Wow, a force majeure cancellation of an FiA sanctioned event. I can't remember the last time that happened. I don't think it has happened in my life time.

Last year's WTCC event in Mexico was cancelled for safety concerns(Mexico isn't quite a safe place to be nowadays).
Paris Dakar was also cancelled, don't think that's FiA though.
Quote from aroX123 :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89510

Looks interresting, but one thing I dont understand is, whats wrong with his legs? He walks funny and often in a wheelchair, never found that answer :>

I've raced him many times (through 2 seasons of RACE07 championships I organise) and he's bloody quick on sims - he's also much more of a real person than his brother too, be interesting to see how he handles the real thing!
lewis, kubica, suttil and others have said that nick is faster than them in sim racing, which must be bloody fast given how fast "L. Hamilton" was when he ran the williams at lime rock in iracing.

lewis has always said that nick is his true real life hero because of how he's got on with his life so it's nice to see him taking it further and hopefully it'll give his father a chance to actually just enjoy the "thats my son" side of things rather than all the preasure he placed on himself and lewis when he was is manager.
Quote from tinvek :lewis, kubica, suttil and others have said that nick is faster than them in sim racing, which must be bloody fast given how fast "L. Hamilton" was when he ran the williams at lime rock in iracing.

I can lay down a claim that I beat him to win a race on raw pace once in the 10 races he did. (I did practice all week and it was at my strongest track (Thruxton)).

Anyway, back on-topic... I really hope Bahrain goes ahead, because for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to this season starting!

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG