The online racing simulator
More unlock to Demo
(51 posts, started )
Quote from Live For Kill :well, the demo is attractive right now.

as i said before, it is too expensive in one piece, and thats why should be the S1 licences be sold. the online paying can cause problems, of course, but if we ask the devs that where we can send the money in enveloop... they might think that we want to rob them out

as said before, you can actually buy S1 licenses, just pay the devs only 12 pounds, and you have your S1 license ... I accidently found that out when buying a license for my friend

PS: everybody, who bought a license wouldn't think about robbing the devs... we wouldn't get updates anymore
the demo already offers so much that many cheapskates spend months... and even years just playing the demo...
thats a deffinate NO from me.
Quote from liveforspeed.net :There are two types of licenses your account can hold:
- S1 license, allows you to unlock the S1 portion of LFS S2
(S1 licenses are no longer sold)
- S2 license, allows you to unlock the entire content of LFS S2

So they don't sell S1 licenses I guess.
Im clearly against additional demo content. The community shouldnt be overloaded either. I prefer a few good guys rather than many noobs.
hehe, i was gonna post a reple as demo racer that we neede more s2 feautures!
but hey!!!i got a license!!!
no they do, you just pay 12 pounds, not the full 24
#32 - joen
Quote from Marroon :i think you should be able to choose just one car to play on demo racer and then thats your lot! mergh.....i want a licence

That would obviously cause a problem with online racing. Now everybody has the same cars available so you can race anytime. If the car choice would be up to the user, you would end up with fewer people you can race against, because not everybody would choose the same car.

Anyway, this has been discussed many many times. It's best not to change anything, two cars and one track in demo is enough. Although I agree that maybe another choice for the two cars could present a better impression of LFS.
Quote from Blackout :And maybe, just maybe, there could be a faster car with slicks, but here comes the hook, it should be available only in offline mode

Well, most demo guys have played full S2 offline (sad but true).

I don't remember now, but it would be better to have list of S2 features when you exit LFS demo. While i was still demo user (2 years ago) i never
saw LFS homepage. LFS does come out on a CD of some game magazine,
and people maybe never see what S2 can bring to their world.
I could be wrong about this, but who knows....
Quote from BlackEye :Well, most demo guys have played full S2 offline (sad but true)

Well, there is allways that possibility, which isn't that nice. I was thinking more the normal user who does't do that kind of stuff, or does't want to...and the day when LFS comes uncrackable. If it isn't, I don't know
Quote from Live For Kill :well, the demo is attractive right now.

as i said before, it is too expensive in one piece, and thats why should be the S1 licences be sold. the online paying can cause problems, of course, but if we ask the devs that where we can send the money in enveloop... they might think that we want to rob them out

What's the difference in putting that £12 in a jar until you have another £12

The demo is fine, if you give people more then they still wont be happy. The more you give them the less reason they have to buy the game.
the DEMO is fine, i played the demo (ok it was S1) for 6 months before i could buy a licence, it was fine, i didn't get bored, I just concentrated on being as fast an as clean a racer as i could be. if you're the kind of person who'll get bored with what you get (12 combos in all) then you're probably not the kind of person I wanna be racing.

LFS takes a fair bit of practice to get up to a competent level, i say leave the content alone as i gives the noobs something to concentrate on.

and if you've been playing the demo for more than a year, then bollocks to you whinging about more content, there can't be many people that can't afford £2 a month (in the west at least)
I agree that the demo content is plenty to keep people interested. In fact, I think it's amazing to see so many regular demo servers available at all.

Sorry, that should be past tense since I got my S2 license

The only way I can see to prolong the demo's life without adding or removing content is to force players to complete the tests with certain results to make the cars available.
That would ensure that they knew the basics, although I'm not sure how happy people would be about the restriction.

Here's an idea for a new test that comes after all the others:
T1 Test
A series of race starts designed to teach you how to not crash into other players at T1. Depending on the severity of your crash, you receive a different insult, ranging from the mild side-collision "Ouch!" to the 17 car pile-up "WTF u f*cking doing u utter f*cking moron! Get the f*ck off our f*cking server before I come and beat you to f*cking death with your own f*cking arm!!!!!!!!"

Quote from Dajmin : to the 17 car pile-up "WTF u f*cking doing u utter f*cking moron! Get the f*ck off our f*cking server before I come and beat you to f*cking death with your own f*cking arm!!!!!!!!"

ur agressive m8!
don't think the devs are gonna make it happen
would be funny tho
I think he was joking with us, km.
i know,
still a cool idea
if he was serieus -.-
Quote from Gabkicks :the demo already offers so much that many cheapskates spend months... and even years just playing the demo...
thats a deffinate NO from me.

agreed. there is 355 Demo and 166 Licensed racers online in the game right now.. demo offers so much..
Quote from Pablo.CZ :agreed. there is 355 Demo and 166 Licensed racers online in the game right now.. demo offers so much..

355/166 - the balance needs shifting. Paid up racers should have more opponents available if you ask me. Something should be done to make the demo less attractive an option.
I'd seriously suggest getting rid of public multiplayer games on the demo. They tend to be full of problems and put me off buying S1. Only at the time of the S2 demo did I come back to LFS and see what the community was really like because everyone was racing it, when S2 came out I bought it straight away.

IMO LFS is missing its largest market almost completely, other sim racers. Many are now playing ISI based sims and would jump at something more realisitic, others are fed up with the buggy nK Pro 'full' version and more are left playing GPL/N2003. Now the problem is most of these people never get to LFS a few reasons I can think of:

a) Looked lowly upon by other sim racers because the community is both isolated and a good number of fanboys go and bash other sims at RSC (I have not seen this happen in any of the Papy sims forums).

b) The demo only includes a road cars, a lot of people are interested in proper racing cars.

c) Put off by seeing [screenshots] road cars racing without rollcages > GT4ish. Likewise for the no helmets (a massive one, put my Dad off ffs lets get rid of that).

d) LFS (both website + menus) does not present itself like other racing sims, I'm not saying that's good or bad, but you can't deny it does present itself in a more light hearted/cartoony manner.
#44 - joen
I agree about LFS missing their most important market segment.
What do you mean by no helmets? You mean the people who hacked some file to use no helmet and drive around in t-shirts? I don't like it either but just a small amount of people do that i think.
I don't see much wrong with the website styling though. I think it's better than say rfactor's.
I've heard the arguments about the menu system before, but I really don't understand it though. I love the menu system. It's simple, it's clear and works great. The layout could be better in some places but that's it.
I prefer the LFS menu system over the terrible flashy slow crap rFactor menu's. And I prefer it over the nK system too. IMO the way LFS handles it is the perfect balance between simplicity and usability.
^^ You've missed the point (as do the majority of the LFS community). LFS is viewed as a bit arcady in other sim racing forums (just trust me it is) and the menus don't have the kind of technical look to them that nK or GPL does, even the ISI ones look more complicated, I know this sounds daft but it does make a difference. I like the LFS menus over the others but they do still look like something you might find in a more arcady game and the LFS website doesn't really pitch it as a true sim.
We could have a drop down menu from the top ala X-Plane, and little up/down adjusters over each digit on windows.
#47 - JJ72
that's stupid to have a demo for a "online racing simulator" without the online part in the demo.
Quote from JJ72 :that's stupid to have a demo for a "online racing simulator" without the online part in the demo.

No, no public online races, this means you could only race via IP. Otherwise maybe only servers with an admin could be public.
Quote from tristancliffe :We could have a drop down menu from the top ala X-Plane, and little up/down adjusters over each digit on windows.

Tristan your missing the point as well. There's nothing wrong in LFS's menus, they're the best I've seen in any sim, particuarly the car setup pages. It's the general presentation to the visitor on the website that needs improving.
I know - I was just being silly

I love LFS's interface - it's by far the quickest, easiest to use, and best structured (although the options menu needs to be organised a bit as lots of options have been added over the years). But by default it does lack a certain something. Personally I use Orions blue backgrounds and find the look nothing but stunning. Love live LFS menu design.

As for other sim users, I think they are so used to having slow, cluttered screens but with fancy animations and sounds that they have forgotten what a good menu system is actually like. I cannot for the life of me comprehend how anyone, least of all Kunos, thinks two separate programs, one of which you can't access whilst in game, is a good way of making a game.

More unlock to Demo
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG