The online racing simulator
Help me choose a new car
(77 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :£3300-£3700 to insure depending on what year.

Ouch. I'm hoping that comes down for you over time.

I just played a little game with moneysupermarket to see if I could get quotes that high. It proved harder than I would have thought.

They always say a small engine helps reduce your premium so the game begins with the largest engine possible; 8.3 litres of Viper. Surprisingly only £1570, despite pistons the size of small continents. What about something a little more focused, say a Lotus Exige 260? £1725. Still way off, I need something prestigious. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1 comes to £2660. Ultimate luxury and speed? Bentley Continental Speed GT comes in at £2900. And then I have it, £140k worth of Ford GT, £3730.

But can I go further, is it possible to break into five figures? Well no Veyron in the list (nor XJ220 either ), but I do spy a Ferrari F50. £9845 to insure £400k worth of Italian lust isn't too bad really. All other insane supercars are giving me the same figure so looks like no five figure premiums for me.

At least I know if I sell my car I can afford to insure a Ford GT. Now I just need someone to give me one.
Quote from Bob Smith :Ouch. I'm hoping that comes down for you over time.

I just played a little game with moneysupermarket to see if I could get quotes that high. It proved harder than I would have thought.

They always say a small engine helps reduce your premium so the game begins with the largest engine possible; 8.3 litres of Viper. Surprisingly only £1570, despite pistons the size of small continents. What about something a little more focused, say a Lotus Exige 260? £1725. Still way off, I need something prestigious. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1 comes to £2660. Ultimate luxury and speed? Bentley Continental Speed GT comes in at £2900. And then I have it, £140k worth of Ford GT, £3730.

But can I go further, is it possible to break into five figures? Well no Veyron in the list (nor XJ220 either ), but I do spy a Ferrari F50. £9845 to insure £400k worth of Italian lust isn't too bad really. All other insane supercars are giving me the same figure so looks like no five figure premiums for me.

At least I know if I sell my car I can afford to insure a Ford GT. Now I just need someone to give me one.

Blimey, how'd you get your premiums so low? You live in Newcastle for starters, your car would be safer on an American shooting range. I got a quote of £800 for a 1.8 Volvo S40. If I went for anything as exotic as that they'd probably want my first born and I live in such a low crime area that there actually isn't any.
Quote from garph :Holy fudge monkey batman! Thats some testicle busting insurance prices!

Why? How old are you?

I've been driving for two years with no claims and this month my insurance went up be £40 for inexplicable reasons.
#54 - Uke
Bugatti Veyron.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :I got a quote of £800 for a 1.8 Volvo S40.

Last year my renewal was about £540 for my 3 liter Jag. Although I did refresh prices on that and it was giving me quotes of a grand, so hopefully they won't rape me come my renewal this summer. Can only wait and see.

Only trouble I had with insurance was trying to buy the car, the dealership tried to get me day insurance via them so I could drive it away but they wouldn't cover me at all as I was under 25 at the time. I know some people go nuts when they get their licence and mellow with age but I started slow and just gradually get faster as I gradually lose patience with all the slow traffic. Maybe I shouldn't tell them that though...
Quote from Bob Smith :Last year my renewal was about £540 for my 3 liter Jag. Although I did refresh prices on that and it was giving me quotes of a grand, so hopefully they won't rape me come my renewal this summer. Can only wait and see.

Only trouble I had with insurance was trying to buy the car, the dealership tried to get me day insurance via them so I could drive it away but they wouldn't cover me at all as I was under 25 at the time. I know some people go nuts when they get their licence and mellow with age but I started slow and just gradually get faster as I gradually lose patience with all the slow traffic. Maybe I shouldn't tell them that though...

I suppose a lot of it is the "well very few people under 25 have crashed one of these, it must be a low risk vehicle" angle insurance take. I was told by a guy from Adrian Flux once to buy the sort of car your dad would drive, as chances are it is cheap to insure. But I doubt I'd get a 3 litre Jag insured for under grand an half.

When you part with that much money for a car, it is normally a safe bet that you won't wrap it around a tree 10 yards from the lot, regardless of how old you are. Car insurance is just ageism, but it also makes me laugh because there are people demanding old people/women, even though they cost more to run over a life time, shouldn't have to pay more for health insurance as young people/men because it is unfair, yet they are cool with car insurance being unfair to young people/men.

I was the same when I got my licence, was so fearful of losing it I'd try and be a Christian motorist. Now I am developing a lead foot, which in a N/A diesel is an interesting concept, and the slightest bit of shitty driving will have me frothing at the mouth in rage.
Quote from logitekg25 :well just skimming i could recomend a dodge caliber.

it is nice, well designed, very nice stereo, no ipod support stock, but there are ways around. and it isnt diesel, but its still overall pretty much perfect for you i believe?

I rented one once. My knees kept hitting the dash, just like they did in a Dodge Nitro I also drove once. Dodges suck.

It's not like I'm big or tall, either. (5'7", 140 lbs)

Quote from Forbin :Bugatti Veyron

Or that new V8-powered Ariel Atom.

Quote from Uke :Bugatti Veyron.

-
(Forbin) DELETED by Forbin : duplicate
#60 - Jakg
Quote from shaun463 :How about trying what has been said to be by some, as the best handling FWD car?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/cl ... postcode/nn81aa?logcode=p
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-54- ... K&hash=item3f0688261d
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/55-MG-ZS ... K&hash=item4154a7e2d3
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MG- ... K&hash=item27b7e0de80
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MG- ... K&hash=item4cf481f57c
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-MG- ... K&hash=item27b77f4afc
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MG- ... K&hash=item1c14f054cc

Or for something bigger and more relaxing :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-MG- ... K&hash=item19c232c411
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/02-MG-ZT ... K&hash=item27b6b76ab1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-MG- ... K&hash=item27b80d0e2d - not my taste, but LPG :O
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-MG- ... K&hash=item45f827b741
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-MG- ... K&hash=item4aa80b2ae2

Sorry, an MGR nut.

EDIT: Can't imagine that LPG being cheap to insure xD.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :MG cost to insure: £4000+

That was for the ZT (CDTi)... the ZS is going to be even more.

And there is no way you'd get insured on the LPG one. It's the most powerful FWD ZT, and further more is a very very VERY ropey example at that.
for the caliber, nobody in my family has any problem

move the seat back, and stretch your legs out more (and its a womans car by trade :hide

the biggest problem i have is the key chain my mom has, which has so many things it hangs down to your knee..that has nothing to do with the car.

and the best you can do is test drive before you buy
Quote from shaun463 :How about trying what has been said to be by some, as the best handling FWD car?

Who in f**ks name has ever said that?
#63 - Jakg
Quote from pb32000 :Who in f**ks name has ever said that?

Evo gave it (the ZS 180) a lot of praise. But never "best ever".
well evo dont a clue then, i drove 3 " fine examples of these and the two diesels both got noisy tappets with 20 mins of driving + blue smoke and handled like a bowl of soup, the other wouldn't crank whatsoever.

Not good standing by any means, french/euro hatches have this field dominated...

have you concidered an Alfa jamie ? if you dont trash it, their rather on the pedal...
Quote from hrtburnout :He crashed it.

in that case get somethign dreadful
with any luck youll rid the world of it making it a better place in the process
Quote from Shotglass :in that case get somethign dreadful
with any luck youll rid the world of it making it a better place in the process

Stay out of my thread and take your moany, whiny, negative, German comments with you.

MG ZS isn't really my cup of tea, as Jack says it's even more to insure (I'm not going to bother running quotes) plus can you really see yourself sat behind the wheel for 4 hours at a time? It looks like a dashboard from the early 90's.
now why would i ever do that? oh right i wouldnt ever
Unless someone has any groundbreaking developments I'm going to be sticking with this Mk5 golf..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Unless someone has any groundbreaking developments I'm going to be sticking with this Mk5 golf..

Why, they aren't anything special, their far from fast, not the most relyible of the bunch, if it hasnt got leather Tdi + dsg its not gonna hold a cent of value, but its your money...
Just overall, I like the package. I like the cruise control, the quality (ok it's not the best put together VW ever but pretty good compared to alot of the stuff)..I like the warming blue glow the dials have, my friend at work has one and it's nice.

It's a 1.9tdi SE (105), enough poke and good economy. The one I'm looking at is pretty clean, FSH, all the keys and books, etc.

What else would you suggest?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Just overall, I like the package. I like the cruise control, the quality (ok it's not the best put together VW ever but pretty good compared to alot of the stuff)..I like the warming blue glow the dials have, my friend at work has one and it's nice.

It's a 1.9tdi SE (105), enough poke and good economy. The one I'm looking at is pretty clean, FSH, all the keys and books, etc.

What else would you suggest?

Small and french, if not luxery, then something so cheap and cheerful you cant go wrong, if it does, their cheap as chips to mend. That is What your after right ? providing it hasnt done a mission miles it'll be a grand run about and they are quite nippy around town i might add.

i hate golfs, i hate VAG, i hate fixing them, i hate the sight of them ( by the day, their is 1 or 2 more in my area ) i mean, i like the whole Vdub look and thats grand, but rusty piles of garbage with cheap-skate owners stiffing me on petty cash for minor work...

bahh humbug, also only the MkI & II ive noticed to be in anyway reliable, But then again, that was back when their cars where decent ( in my and mosts opinions )

That Tdi can be remapped rather easily and get a decent bit more poke out of, but at the end of the day... its still a golf, regardless of where you park it, theirs always 5 more... 2 same model and normally 1 the same color, with the same Blade/scirocco/gti alloys and the owner in debt to the bank but stern in his ways to keep the car regardless of economic situation.

inshort: if you want it to last forever, buy japanese

If you want something fun to drive, go european*,

if you want a banger: buy italian/german
Or alternatively don't listen to someone who's only car history is bunch of shagged-out 106s.
Get a 13bT powered Suzuki Cappuccino, I saw on on UK ebay not long ago for like 3k
Quote from pb32000 :Or alternatively don't listen to someone who's only car history is bunch of shagged-out 106s.

no, its actually more dynamic then that tbvh, pug 306 with a new serise Hdi engine... 60+ mpg and faster then most with 2 tonnes of gear in the back, on korean tyres ( you know the ultra cheap shite you get off eiretyres or simular websites )

the best car i ever had was a 3 door 106, nippy little ****ers that never break Yet get slated because of the max power bollockology despite being quite a nice place to be.
Christ. You really do talk some dribble sometimes...

Multiple Grammar/Spelling mistakes. Spouting rubbish that is completely non-related to the topic. Etc.

Help me choose a new car
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG