The online racing simulator
How much do you download?
(64 posts, started )
Quote from bunder9999 :oh, get off your soapbox... i don't seed either for a few reasons...
[snip]

When you download close to 200GB, you need to put back more than 4GB. General overheads will take up most of that.

I realise not everyone can do 1:1, but 50:1 is an outrageous value and there is no excuse for it.

A lot of people still use private trackers because you get good seeders on them. One of the places I know has a rolling ratio, the more you download the better your ratio needs to be, so that way even the most obscure item is still available at decent speed.

Of course it could all be legal downloads (like iPlayer), in which case it isn't an issue as there is nothing to return, but I'd put a wager on where most of that bandwidth was spent and that makes it selfish Internet use.
Quote from tbofram :Bt slows down all p2p like if I am torrenting they slow it down

the link i posted says BT throttles all non-HTTP traffic. that's bad.
considering my line is something like 3km long i doubts it more than a couple hundred khz

seriously wtf? its bad enough to rape the term bandwidth and use it as if it meant data rate (and would give profs ample reason to personally headbutt any students who makes that mistake back into the first semester) but using it for traffic wtf?
Quote from Shotglass :considering my line is something like 3km long i doubts it more than a couple hundred khz

seriously wtf? its bad enough to rape the term bandwidth and use it as if it meant data rate (and would give profs ample reason to personally headbutt any students who makes that mistake back into the first semester) but using it for traffic wtf?

I used to argue about the misuse of the term, but that was until I went to uni where the professors used bandwidth incorrectly too. I gave up all hope then as it was like pissing up a rope from then on.
my prof told me hed beat us back into first semester if we ever misused the term in his pressence... granted i studies something where people actually know what the hell theyre talking about when it comes to data transmission unlike computer science where everybody is a complete moron when it comes to these matters
I did Internet/Networking, so it looked at building networks, the back end of websites, stuff like that. In the first lecture we was told what bandwidth really means and what people use it to mean and that we'd use it for the latter to save confusion. :/
She mostly blamed the American's for misusing the word to start with, which lead to the common error now. But then as I recalled she blamed the American for everything.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Your ratio is appalling. At minimum it should be 1:1. It is people like you who ruin the Internet.

I don't use torrents.
90-100 Gb a month (2 of us on the network)
#34 - DeKo
I am on Be Unlimited, which is awesome and actually is unlimited. No throttling, no usage caps and fast, stable speeds and low pings. It's perfect.
Ye I usually use torrents to download ubuntu or something but I hate the fact that by will not let you seed which is horrible
#36 - PoVo
Quote from DeKo :I am on Be Unlimited, which is awesome and actually is unlimited. No throttling, no usage caps and fast, stable speeds and low pings. It's perfect.

Me too.
Quote from Shotglass :seriously wtf?

Less aggravating thread title now?

While I agree most people get technical terms wrong, I can't be bothered to correct people any more. So long as I understand what they meant.
200GB traffic...jesus that is a lot. What you donwload or upload?
I never got over 50GB as far as I remember.
200gb isnt much imo.

I remember, in radio here - there was a guy from one ISP and he sayd that they have one guy who has 1TB of download traffic every month. They didnt say who it was either, but meh ...
Quote from hazaky :200gb isnt much imo.

I remember, in radio here - there was a guy from one ISP and he sayd that they have one guy who has 1TB of download traffic every month. They didnt say who it was either, but meh ...

Your ma!
Quote from hazaky :I remember, in radio here - there was a guy from one ISP and he sayd that they have one guy who has 1TB of download traffic every month. They didnt say who it was either, but meh ...

2.7TB in Belgium.
I've never received a phone call or a letter about that... and I download A LOT. Not when I was living in Spain nor here in Italy, and I don't know anyone who has. I don't know how much exactly, but keeping in mind I don't pay for software/music/movies/games and I download stuff at around 1500kb/s you can get the idea
I have extreamly slow Internet so 1500kb/s is not possible for me but ahhwell I still manage to get 200+ gb per month. I looked up abs iplayer uses alot of bandwidth
I wont pretend to know about internet use laws outside of the US but I think that limiting bandwidth is a disgusting business practice that exploits a "scarcity of bandwidth" to charge fees and higher prices in general.
Yes I can't stand by limiting Internet speeds web you pay them there wages and there cups of tea. They limit me Just because I don't spend all my time on face book and only use a few hundred meg a month. I use my Internet for what it's made for downloading stuff. They can look at my Internet history I don't download illegal software or free music so they don't have any right to slow me down
oh yeah i forgot that its also an excuse to look at everything you do online and judge you for it. They would probably love to implement china's system and report you to the secret police if you download a miley cyrus video.
Looking at the past my monthly usage averages to between 15gb - 20gb a month. Some months are quite alot higher but there is only a few. ISP is virgin and they don't bat an eyelid at me so unless I hear anything from them I doubt I will change my usage.
Ye my friend is on sky broadband (uk) and he only used like 49gbs in the first month he was registered and they put him to dial up speed without even phoning him. I think it is horrible. And most of that he says was from using lovefilm stream on his ps3. I think ISPs have to change there FUP for these days Internet usage.

How much do you download?
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG