The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
reading about brits and their adventures in drizzling snow = guaranteed laughs
I just looked outside and everything is white... where the hell did that come from..

apparently going to drop to -17'C tonight. guess im staying in tonight. havent slept in a while
Quote from DevilDare :Come on... Thats barely anything.

I shiver to the thoughts of my Christmas holidays back in Lithuania 2 years ago.... -25.

It is the fact the roads are sheet ice that I don't enjoy. FWD plus open diffs plus a steep incline equals one spinning tyre and no forward motion. Massive PITA.
I guess its nice to have the option not to drive, but some of us have to get to work no matter what....don't think I've ever missed a day due to not being able to get in, I can remember seeing temps of -10C some years......

Sick to death of being stuck behind people that have absoloutly no idea how to drive in cold conditions, and those people driving at 15mph
Where I used to live, I could walk if weather was bad, but as I lived in Lincolnshire, it was mostly flat anyway.

Living 8 miles from the nearest gritted bit of road in the middle of the North Yorkshire Dales means lots of steep hills one way or t'over. Should probably start using the Hilux more or get a LSD for the van. Both of which would make it massively easier to get anywhere.
I'd look at tyres first.......
Well I currently rock all seasons, they worked fine in the snow/slush. Not so well in ice and with the exception of studded tyres, there isn't a lot of tyres that will help when all of the power goes into the wheel with least traction.
Ach just go a little faster then.
Its down to driving technique then, its amazing how much difference it can make.

I don't think any of the roads I drive on get gritted, and its amazing the amount of people who sit there wildly spinning, when I don't
Well **** me on a stick. Trying to get home for the weekend, but because of 1" of snow public transport is severely screwed. No trains to and from the airport, no buses to and from the airport and no decent train connection out of this shithole. I'm afraid no car-propelled sledding this weekend
Most roads aren't an issue, the street I use is untreated and I can pull off 3 point turns and reverse into a bad, no problem. The big issue is getting from my house, down what was a dirt track then up a few rather steep hills, the first being a single track 16% incline that is currently looking like it has been ploughed. It is hard to keep your speed up and wheel spin down when you have to weave in-between pot holes the size of a child while trying to stay on what is left of the road surface and hoping nothing big comes round one of the many blind bends.

Once I'm clear of single lane hell, it is less of an issue. But then you live in Norfolk, the biggest hill you have down there is a curb stone.
Yep,the snow in Ireland has taken a brake,but still it's very much catastrophic with -2 degrees
it's getting a bit chilli around here also.

edit* Darn, it's only -12 but it sure does feel like a lot more.
Ohh,nice,just as I posted that we dont have any snow here in Ireland it started snowing and its -6 degrees
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Damn, damn, damn and blast. It has been stupidly cold here (and still is -5). I can hardly walk across the court yard, let alone up to where I parked my van and even if I could, I am not driving anywhere because that'd just be pure death.

-5?
thats warm!
have about -8 every day i drive to work...with my scooter
Quote from DevilDare :Come on... Thats barely anything.

I shiver to the thoughts of my Christmas holidays back in Lithuania 2 years ago.... -25.

oh yeah...had similar times here.
it was 2004 (i think?) and we had bout -15 to -20.
i actually was to forced to sleep outside (dont ask ) so it was kinda cold
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :-5?
thats warm!
have about -8 every day i drive to work...with my scooter

It is more the fact the cold causes the road to freeze over. I have fantastic heaters in my van so that isn't a problem. But there are a lot of natural springs round here and they have all burst and running down the roads. Lots of water plus subzero conditions means scary hills with no run off. D:

I will have to take out the camera and snap some of the hills so you can actually see why I do not enjoy the icy roads thing. If I was back in Lincolnshire then I'd be having a blast, but in Yorkshire, it is a nightmare.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is more the fact the cold causes the road to freeze over. I have fantastic heaters in my van so that isn't a problem.

It might be the language barrier but i didn't find those sentences together understandable.
They are understandable. They're totally seperate thoughts and don't belong in the same paragraph, but they make sense.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :They are understandable. They're totally seperate thoughts and don't belong in the same paragraph, but they make sense.

This.

I think alcohol (what else can you do when you can't go anywhere) is sinking in, so my English ability is getting worse by the bottle. Which wasn't really the best to begin with.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is more the fact the cold causes the road to freeze over. I have fantastic heaters in my van so that isn't a problem. But there are a lot of natural springs round here and they have all burst and running down the roads. Lots of water plus subzero conditions means scary hills with no run off. D:

I will have to take out the camera and snap some of the hills so you can actually see why I do not enjoy the icy roads thing. If I was back in Lincolnshire then I'd be having a blast, but in Yorkshire, it is a nightmare.

well, sounds like its a good time to get spikes
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :This.

I think alcohol (what else can you do when you can't go anywhere) is sinking in, so my English ability is getting worse by the bottle. Which wasn't really the best to begin with.

Might crack open the Midori the missus bought me lol will drink out of the bottle though, non of that shot glass shit.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :well, sounds like its a good time to get spikes

They aren't allowed on sealed roads in the UK. Which means if I did fit them I would have to stop after a mile and switch tyres.

Quote from BlueFlame :Might crack open the Midori the missus bought me lol will drink out of the bottle though, non of that shot glass shit.

Sounds good to me. I've been working my way through my Camra collection. It has been fun.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :They aren't allowed on sealed roads in the UK. Which means if I did fit them I would have to stop after a mile and switch tyres.

Sounds good to me. I've been working my way through my Camra collection. It has been fun.

I would commend CAMRA members but, I really dislike all ale lol whether it be draught bitter or lager, I hate it all, it just doesn't agree with my tongue at all, through my whole life I honestly believe people only put up with the taste of it because of the fact it's alcohol lol

but on a brighter note, Kopparberg mixed fruits cider. Very good indeed!
Quote from BlueFlame :I would commend CAMRA members but, I really dislike all ale lol whether it be draught bitter or lager, I hate it all, it just doesn't agree with my tongue at all, through my whole life I honestly believe people only put up with the taste of it because of the fact it's alcohol lol

but on a brighter note, Kopparberg mixed fruits cider. Very good indeed!

I would say that is true for a lot of people. There is a lot of alcohol I don't like so don't drink. I am very picky about it really. I've had some ales that tasted of ass and would never touch again.

One of my house mates from uni bangs on about Kopparberg all of the time. He loves it so much he created this, just so he could be in a "relationship" with it on Facespace.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG