The online racing simulator
Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
All very good points, but when you live in the middle of no where and have to go to work to make money to pay for food and rent, you have to make the journey. So a small investment that makes my journey easier is a worth while one, and when things get warmer I can take them off and store them until next winter.
Wasn't refering to a top gear episode at all (which makes a welcome change!). Just to me seems common sense. Rally tyres have little studs which obviously may help with skinnier tyres but hey.

Ask me tyres on bikes and I'm your man, and in colder conditions you drop tyre pressures which can cause the tyres to heat up more and allow them to reach their temperature more easily. Cars, when it comes to most things again I'm pretty good but perhaps since snow isn't something I've come across before...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Wasn't refering to a top gear episode at all (which makes a welcome change!). Just to me seems common sense. Rally tyres have little studs which obviously may help with skinnier tyres but hey.

Ask me tyres on bikes and I'm your man, and in colder conditions you drop tyre pressures which can cause the tyres to heat up more and allow them to reach their temperature more easily. Cars, when it comes to most things again I'm pretty good but perhaps since snow isn't something I've come across before...

It completely makes sense when it's cold, will give you a little more grip and heat at the expense of wear, but in the snow you want skinny, hard tyres to cut through the snow and get past the powdery stuff which is hopeless.
Quote from Jakg :my Falken FK452's are performing surprisingly well considering their 225 / 45 / 18, although they very nearly made me end up in the back of a Mondeo at work the other day...

Oh those tyres! The number of times I've crashed my car (none) when it's been the tyres fault (still none). I feel bad for people who don't drive like dickheads but are let down by their tyres.
It's only just stopped snowing here in Gillingham after 3 days of it coming down without halt. The untouched stuff on my front lawn and ontop of my car was at about 50cm deep!
Still no snow in Jersey.
yep no snow in jersey... where exactly u live btw? im in princeton
our snow here stopped when it got to a foot deep! and now well now its silly to venture outside without sevral layers of clothing, temperature has been below -15C each night here and not even getting close to 0C during the day think the top tempt was -6C here today! got icicles hanging from the houses that are 3foot long if not more though some snow forecast for tomorrow so might add to the fun
I am still wondering why people are driving slower. I am going my normal pace and that is just fine, true.. the tires slipped a little but nothing more than a little bit letting go of the gas while driving away.
Quote from mamoru :I am still wondering why people are driving slower. I am going my normal pace and that is just fine, true.. the tires slipped a little but nothing more than a little bit letting go of the gas while driving away.

Because driving at normal road speeds works only as long as you don't have to emergency brake or go around corners.
Even if the road is grippy, it takes one slippery spot to lose it, and you won't know if the patch you're driving on is slippery unless you actually do brake or turn.

It's people like you who cause most of the congestions on my daily commute, by being stupid and crashing into things.
Just a quick rundown:
Time lost per trip to/from work due to me driving sensibly: 10-15 minutes
Time lost due to stupid people per trip to/from work: 30 - 45 minutes.

And that's on my daily 35 minute commute.
Quote from Becky Rose :*shrug* Driving sensibly makes more difference than winter tyres.

it doesnt when you get stuck due to having no grip whatsoever or you get sideways while driving 5kmh
terrifying and occasionally great fun but rather dangerous when you just want to get home
Quote from ColeusRattus :Because driving at normal road speeds works only as long as you don't have to emergency brake or go around corners.
Even if the road is grippy, it takes one slippery spot to lose it, and you won't know if the patch you're driving on is slippery unless you actually do brake or turn.

It's people like you who cause most of the congestions on my daily commute, by being stupid and crashing into things.
Just a quick rundown:
Time lost per trip to/from work due to me driving sensibly: 10-15 minutes
Time lost due to stupid people per trip to/from work: 30 - 45 minutes.

And that's on my daily 35 minute commute.

Maybe, but I don't drive reckless. I have the car under control even when it is going sideways (yes, I did that). The thing is, I drive faster than other people. We were driving 50KMH on a 100 road! That is where the congestion came from and comes from.
-11C in Newcastle at the moment.

I might consider wearing a coat when I go outside for a cigarette
Quote from mamoru :Maybe, but I don't drive reckless. I have the car under control even when it is going sideways (yes, I did that).

Paradoxon much? Hope you don't hurt someone when you learn your lesson.
A road isn't a racetrack, and a snowy road where most people can't drive properly on even less.
What you fail to see is that you not nonly have to keep a margin for your own errors, but also an additional margin for every other person on the road.
Quote from Bean0 :-11C in Newcastle at the moment.

I might consider wearing a coat when I go outside for a cigarette

Pfffttt I thought you "northerners" were supposed to be 'ard
Well, I've just returned from having a smoke, coatless
Shorts and t-shirt I hope
They won't let me wear that to work
I take they are all southern jessies then.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Paradoxon much? Hope you don't hurt someone when you learn your lesson.
A road isn't a racetrack, and a snowy road where most people can't drive properly on even less.
What you fail to see is that you not nonly have to keep a margin for your own errors, but also an additional margin for every other person on the road.

You should see the roads I drive on and in what conditions, you will really say 'oh,,, but that is OK. Go ahead'. There are no people on the road when I drive because it is really early. Also, I know my car. How it handles on slippery roads and everything. I know what it is capable of and what I am capable of. I am also not a reckless driver and don't consider the road a racetrack.
Well, you're responsible for how you drive and how you judge situations. I don't know what it is like on your roads, and perhaps I have read to much into what you said.
My point is still valid though that you should drive like everyone else is out to kill you (an dthat includes deer suddenly running in your car), and even more so in winter conditions.
I see nothing has changed with the UK and their ignorance of snow tires (it's not really rocket science to understand why they should be used). Really comical when you see all the pics posted in here with lots of snow, together with all the comments like "we don't have snow over here, no need for winter tires...". Dear lord...
My 16" steelies should be delivered today, and then tomorrow I'll be ordering my winter tyres. With AWD I'm faring a lot better at accelerating and such than most cars, but I've still had to get the shovel out twice, and braking does so little on snowy roads it's scary. Most roads here are pretty good but get away from the gritted main roads with heavy traffic and it's such a different story. The road I live on is appalling, massive tramlining where everyone drives in the same place, car is all over the place trying to drive in a straight line, because the grooves in the snow are a bit bendy.

Roundabouts are particularly good for showing how badly people position their cars too, the snow isn't clearing where the lanes are. So I drive in the right place and feel like I'm a snowplough.
Quote from Bob Smith :The road I live on is appalling, massive tramlining where everyone drives in the same place, car is all over the place trying to drive in a straight line, because the grooves in the snow are a bit bendy.

you've never been to hamilton... we don't even need snow and our roads do that... damned buses keep warping the tarmac.

Snooooowww
(2156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG