The online racing simulator
BP oil catastrophe - horrifying pictures
(171 posts, started )
maybe you should look up what a miniscule amount of the oil pumped is actually used for anything other than fuel
Just checking, how is this BP's fault if the rig was American?
because bp leased the rig from transocean
a company which interestingly enough merged with the company that caused the gulf spill in 79 and despite being unquestionably american is based in switzerland... which should tell you pretty much everything there is to know about them
It's BPs fault because their 'plan' for the disaster clean-up that had to be filed with the federal government before the accident ever happened was riddled with errors, inconsistencies, and outright lies. They cited an 'expert' who has been dead since 2005, grossly overestimated the amount of oil they could clean up per day (according to their figures, they could skim all the oil off the surface in a day or two iirc), and failed completely on their formula to calculate how much oil was being spilled based on the thickness of the oil sheen. I read in my local paper that the internationally recognized formula would produce a estimate over 100 times greater than their formula... Just some examples, there were far more. They even continue to withold information, not telling anybody about the HD view of the spill they had for about a week. What they released was of such poor quality experts couldn't make a proper estimate of the oil spilling, and the HD view would have allowed them to do that.

It's also the fault of whatever government dumbbutt signed off on this 'plan'.
As I've said before, "fault" isn't necessarily what we need to be concerned with. Who cares WHO is to blame. Lets get it stopped the best we can. And I agree with Squidheads post above, nobody should be boycotting BP - it's a fact of our current day dependency on oil that shit happens...
Well im glad that one dish soap company (forget the name) is raising money for helping animals after events like this.
Quote from 1337sause :Well im glad that one dish soap company (forget the name) is raising money for helping animals after events like this.

dove? they've always done that...
Quote from bunder9999 :dove? they've always done that...

They better be ... if they will, im gonna buy a bottle of some dove liquid soap (did i call it right?) and wash myself with it.
Quote from blackbird04217 :As I've said before, "fault" isn't necessarily what we need to be concerned with. Who cares WHO is to blame. Lets get it stopped the best we can. And I agree with Squidheads post above, nobody should be boycotting BP - it's a fact of our current day dependency on oil that shit happens...

I didn't exactly mean fault... maybe I put it badly, but they should be expected to have a competent plan for such an event. Because as you say, shit is going to happen. And they didn't, and the responsible parties should be held accountable for that oversight... after they clean up this mess that is. I don't blame anyone for the spill itself, but the reaction to the spill from BP has not impressed me at all.

I'm certainly not boycotting BP, they are certainly paying enough already for what happened imo. between money spent cleaning up and the plummet of their stocks...But it doesn't really matter because the closest gas station to me is a SpeedWay...
Quote from bunder9999 :try skandi 2.

try all streams at once
(or for smaller screens this)
it is not as "interessting" as some time ago, when you could watch them cut the raiser pipe etc.

for example last week they they appearently tried to unscrew some pipe:

but as far i watched they could hardly get the tool over the screw nuts as the robot arm was not precise enough.

but now they are bringing in proper tools for the job!

I think at the moment they are just observing and/or fooling around until the relief drillings are done
without the west getting its own oil the east would crush our nuts ok, so there maybe accidents, its life and its what happens,id like you to see you go round to every bodys house in the world and to get them to agree to stop driving so this would never happen again!
Not funny, I hate BP
Quote from 5haz :Its an accident for christ's sake, oh and theoretically, you could've indirectly used oil from that reserve at some point, but then thats the kind of hypocrisy you can expect among the angry and uniformed environmental nutter activists.

Another one of my pet hates is this blame culture, nobody can accept that sometimes things go horribly wrong despite everyone's best intentions, first they blame BP (although it may yet turn out that negligence contributed to the incident), then they blame Obama but what the hell can he do? Him rushing to the region and standing around looking stern wont stop the leak. Come on lets use some logic here!

What is the point in roasting a government or an oil company when there as yet isn't any proper evidence to suggest someone is at fault here? And BP are doing absolutely everything they can to stop a leak in unprecedented conditions.

I think the majority of people don't realise the difficulty in stopping a gusher on land, let alone 5000ft below the ocean surface! And also how easy it can be for a well to blow out, even with protection devices.

I agree with you wholehearty on this. Actually I feel sorry for the BP boss / manager / press man, the whole world look on him as an idiot. Sure, the way he speaks has similarites to a turd, but I belive he is no bad human

It's no easy way stopping this, and it's wrong to start pointing fingers. First solve the problem, then we need to think how we can prevent this in the future, but OVER everything else - this was an accident and starting to shout allmighty horrible things to BT is not the right way doing it IMO.
Words of wisdom!
Quote from -NightFly- :lol

wtf lol?

I am not joking when i say that the mother.fuc.kas deserve to be drained in their own oil
#96 - 5haz
Quote from The Very End :I agree with you wholehearty on this. Actually I feel sorry for the BP boss / manager / press man, the whole world look on him as an idiot. Sure, the way he speaks has similarites to a turd, but I belive he is no bad human

BP are using him as a fall guy, to take all the hits from ignorant people who are looking for a clear enemy to demonise. When the crisis is over they'll probrably give him the shove and somone probrably no less responsible will take his place, smelling like roses.

Quote from The Very End :It's no easy way stopping this, and it's wrong to start pointing fingers. First solve the problem, then we need to think how we can prevent this in the future, but OVER everything else - this was an accident

Not wrong, we learn from our mistakes, not much has been learn't from previous spills but perhaps the massive media attention this time will make it harder to forget.

Quote from The Very End :and starting to shout allmighty horrible things to BT

I often do this when my connection dies.

Picking an enemy and ranting is the first resort of the idiot, by all means abuse where its due but not when it isn't...

Quote from Timo1992 :wtf lol?

I am not joking when i say that the mother.fuc.kas deserve to be drained in their own oil

Looks like someone is a few sandwiches short of a picnic
Quote from 5haz :I think the majority of people don't realise the difficulty in stopping a gusher on land, let alone 5000ft below the ocean surface! And also how easy it can be for a well to blow out, even with protection devices.

Whilst I do agree with you in general, and I think BP have been used very much as a scapegoat when they could easily have used existing legislation to limit their liability to a few hundred million dollars (which incidentally Transocean have done) instead of paying out billions, the fact is the blow out protection valve was not operational at the time of the incident but they continued drilling anyway.

They did so because the rig cost half a million dollars a day to lease and operate from Transocean and taking a few days out to fix the B.O.P. would return no yield from those days. There are also questions as to whether the concrete lining the pipes - as specified by BP - may have been insufficient and allowed gas to escape and cause the initial explosion.

This accident, much like the next one that will happen at some point, was preventable with todays technology - the question of how much legislation is needed to enforce safety standards is a moot point, as spills of this magnitude will always result in criminal proceedings anyway, but capitalism will always result in profit maximisation and environmental safety considerations will always be the first thing to get cut.

Ultimately it is the customer who will pay the cost of this cleanup anyway, so there really isn't any commercial need for any oil company to rigidly follow best possible practice. It's far better to do things cheaply and maximise profits and let the cost of anything like this get burdened on the consumer.

We've got two price rises in petrol coming in the UK by the start of next year anyway, with this spill I guess we could be at about £1.50 a litre sometime next year.
#99 - 5haz
Of course serious negligence and greed helped cause this accident (it nearly always does), but I'm concerned about those who seem to think an environmental disaster on this scale can and should be cleaned in weeks and that wells can and should be 100% safe, which just isn't the case. People are stomping their feet demanding more action but now the accident has happened and the opportunity to prevent it has gone there isn't much more that can be done. It dosen't make what has happened any more acceptable, but a witch hunt of businessmen wont fix anything.
Quote from Timo1992 :wtf lol?

Well if you hate them then the video should be funny, right?

BP oil catastrophe - horrifying pictures
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG