The online racing simulator
How is it about looking cool? It's nothing to do with it, smoking isn't cool at all. For most people that start it's not even a question of looking cool, it's just to experiment. You've just shown you actually know jack shit.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :How is it about looking cool? It's nothing to do with it, smoking isn't cool at all. For most people that start it's not even a question of looking cool, it's just to experiment. You've just shown you actually know jack shit.

At least I know what sarcasm is.
i'm sure i read a few years ago that phillip morris actually paid (or did at the time) for the whole of the ferrari's skin and then the other advertisers paid them instead of ferrari. that way they had total control over how much other companies infringed on their corporate look of red with a white pannel at the top and ferrari had the security of knowing exactly what their revenue from sponsorship would be.

it was mentioned that it may not have been ferrari's brightest deal as it was rumoured phillip morris actually earned more revenue from the other sponsors than they paid ferrari for the whole.

re the marlboro energy drink idea, didn't west propose selling models of F1 driver's helmets a few years ago, the fast that the west name would be prominent in adverts and happened to be the brand of their cigarettes would be of course coincidental
It's really weird that most people on the internet never realize it's sarcasm when it is and always say 'sarcasm' when in fact there was none.

I probably have a good sarcasm detector because I am so sarcastic myself.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I can't read your brain on the internets.

I thought the part where I wrote "sure it might kill you a bit" was the giveaway.
The silverstone layout looks killer. Looking forward to the british GP for once now...
interesting article in autosport about schumi, apart from the obvious of him being older and out of practice in a current F1 car there's also the problem of the merc having understeer when he's well known for liking (possibly even requiring) a "pointy" car, certainly in his his first year at ferrari in a car who's designer had a history of producing chasis with slight understeer he was not happy, and also his chassis was damaged in australia and despite being repaired as best as possible the damage which was underneath towards the rear is felt to have been allowing a bit of flex which may have been causing the lack of slow speed traction he was complaining about.

whilst his qualifying hasn't been great his race performances aren't that bad, first race 1 place behind rosberg,second race caught in T1 incident, pitted and continued with damaged car, third race retired after 10 laps due to loose wheel, fourth race struggled but as in third race team believe the chassis damage in race two was compramising performance.

we'll begin to know how how he's doing after the next race, merc are introducing a longer wheelbase to allow them to generate better front end downforce (though bridgestone are warning that it's easier to overload the internal air volume of the fronts now with them being narrower) and he'll have the undamaged test chassis so should have no traction issues, certainly if he's not competative with his team mate at monaco there will be a lot of questions being asked.

what's also interesting is that his ex team mates are all saying the same thing, namely that whilst he is untouchable in his ability to help develope an engine being remarkable sentsitive to the slightest change in the power delivery, he is not especially gifted at developing the car and had to rely on his team mates and test drivers to provide the feedback the engineers required about new parts etc. irving takes great delight in telling how schumacher discarded a new front wing as being no imporvement over the current one only for irving to prove it was substantially faster.

at benetton he had a pointy car which was fast, at ferrari he had a full test team who could drive huge distances ontheir own test track developing parts and who were chosen for their level of feedback. at both of these he had access to his teammates' setups and telemetry and the car was developed to suit him.

at merc in 2010 he has limited test milage and equal status with a teamate who is actually quite comfortable with a car that has slight understeer. unless merc produce a car that's adaptable enough to accomadate both driving styles, one driver or the other is going to be compramised and unless the next update fundementally alters the cars charectoristics, that driver that is going to be schumacher.
So Ferrari have actually removed the barcode from their cars for this weekends Grand Prix. I think this whole situation is a bit mad, the people complaining should realise that simply by being a red Ferrari it's advertising for Marlboro because of their long term relationship with the team. I think one of the PR guys from Marlboro even said as much when they first had to remove their sponsor stickers from the car.
Quote from Thunderhead :Well, Renault could run some tests in the wind tunnel regarding Kubica's nose, after all, it could only be an improvement.

bah, who needs an F-Duct when you have Kubica's nose?
Ferrari replaces the Marlboro barcode sponsor with only a red square and a f-duct.

New engine cover from Mercedes GP looks interesting.
Attached images
152203.jpg
152263.jpg
Quote from zeromussov :Ferrari replaces the Marlboro barcode sponsor with only a red square

OMFG! It's square, just like a packet of cigarettes! I am now going to take up smoking.
Quite honestly, I feel like all the attention drawn to the barcode might have only heightened the awarness of what the barcode resembled and now what the red square does resemble. Backfire FTW!

Marlboro should change their packs to look just like the side of the car now.
Can't really understand how the Ferrari F-Duct works? It doesn't look controlled by anything...
thats the point, the McLaren one isn't controlled by anything. Thats why when Mercedes had theirs on it was just a little disc thing on the rear wing.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Can't really understand how the Ferrari F-Duct works? It doesn't look controlled by anything...

I'm guessing that at different airspeeds air flows through the opening differently.

also about the mercedes, this is the exact reason why I watch F1. The innovation never stops, even when I'm convinced they cannot possibly improve their cars in any substantial manner.
On Speed they said it had to do with when the car is in the corners air will only flow through one duct or the other, as opposed to both on the straight. I have no clue how that works because it my mind it seems to be doing the excact opposite.

I think RiseAgainst me is right. If the car goes fast enough, there might enough of a pocket of air behind the airbox that nothing enters the f-duct.
Quote from BenjiMC :thats the point, the McLaren one isn't controlled by anything. Thats why when Mercedes had theirs on it was just a little disc thing on the rear wing.

Isn't the McLaren one controlled by the drivers knee? Then it is controlled. What i was saying was, if the air is let to run freely through the duct it will stall the wing in the corners which would make it useless, so i was asking what controls the airflow.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Isn't the McLaren one controlled by the drivers knee? Then it is controlled. What i was saying was, if the air is let to run freely through the duct it will stall the wing in the corners which would make it useless, so i was asking what controls the airflow.

Like i said, it isn't controlled. I think it's how they described it on speed, air flowing differently through the corners is adjusting the air flow. No idea how though. It can't just be a matter of different speeds because the effect would happen in high speed corners too, which is where you REALLY don't want it happening.
Quote from BenjiMC : It can't just be a matter of different speeds because the effect would happen in high speed corners too

I think you've got this entire concept all confuddled up.

I would bet that they designed it to work in the high speed corners... they are high speed after all. fast air= stalled wing. slow air=not stalled. They likely designed it to activate at a certain speed, at which there is a tipping point between how much they need downforce vs. how much drag the car has.

if they designed it to activate in the corners, they would stall their wing, causing them to lose aero grip in the corners. I don't think that's what they want.

unless they have the reverse of what McLaren has, and are generating more downforce in the corners, instead of less downforce on the straights. or maybe I'm the one who's confuddled. it is a kinda counter-intuitive concept.

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG