The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
English Village pays £37K for 40Mbps Broadband
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8618507.stm

They've paid £37,000 to have a fibre-optic broadband link installed to give them uber-fast broadband.

I live [quite literally!] 5 mins down the road from there, and I get 2Mbps max, in a town which has 30x the population - why couldn't they route the cable here a bit too?! :P

To put it in an LFS perspective, the village is ~10 mins from Rockingham
Nick their wireless
Thats £15 a month, not bad.
What's so special about that? In Lithuania you can get 80mb/s for about 12 british pounds and 200mb/s for 25
#5 - J@tko
Quote from iFastLT :What's so special about that? In Lithuania you can get 80mb/s for about 12 british pounds and 200mb/s for 25

This is Britain. Our internet is shite
i want the 100mb connection they talked about. Get some torrents in

(legal of course) hint hint
Quote from Luke.S :i want the 100mb connection they talked about. Get some torrents in

(legal of course) hint hint

I'm on a 30/10 mbit shared line with 4 flatmates, and I can tell you it's more than enough. 3 mins for a 700mb movie, can't even sh!t that fast Also I'm uploading like 1tb each month on torrent. And yeah, I pay around 2,5€ for it
30/15 here, definately enough.
Quote from J@tko :This is Britain. Our internet is shite

Finally, a place where Lithuania is somehow better than someone
Croatia is shite and a half.
I have 4MB/20kB connection, and my dad is paying 'round 14 pounds for it every month.
The speeds are miserable and the prices are damn high.
20mb here from Virgin Media. Its ok I guess... Can get around 2-3mbs on Torrents, so more than enough for me.

(£20)
7mb for €28 here! :/
200 Mbit/s (25 Mb/s), for ~20 euros per month here. It's possible to get 500 Mbit/s ''VIP ''connection for 70 euros per month (free local phone calls included, as much as you want and about 100 TV channels). I use ''slow'' connection: only 2 - 4 Mb/s for about 8 euros.
4 mbit/s here in sunny Scotland.

Yes - UK internet is very slow compared to other counties, but that's because, like so many things, it never gets the investment it needs from the government. Apparently though there is an election coming up.

I think I just had an idea for a political party! Free high-speed broadband for all and forced-cabbage for the under-fives! Who's with me?!
Quote from DarkTimes :
I think I just had an idea for a political party! Free high-speed broadband for all and forced-cabbage for the under-fives! Who's with me?!

You got my vote!
Sadly I think it's too late to register, plus I think you need a £500 deposit to run for office. Well, I guess there's always 2015. The dream lives on...
I guess my 8/2 line is not that bad.. for 70zl which is around 16 pounds a month.
Why Latvia Russia Lithuania got their internet working so damn fast and others can't do it. What's their secret ?
afaik they "started" internet on optical fibers, whereas most western European states still use the old copper network, which can't handle those speeds.

Come to the land down under...you'll be going backwards

And I thought Brazil had terrible internet connection...
We can get up to 100/100mbps (up/down) here, but it costs USD $344 per month.

I pay USD $68,94 for my 10/1.2mbps connection. That's very expensive! And we pay in Brazilian Real, which means R$120 for the 10mbps connection (which is the cheapest available!) and R$600 for the 100mbps one. I don't know if you get the idea, but the minimum wage in Brazil is R$510/month.

(Of course, plenty of people get more than the minimum wage. I wouldn't say most because I'm uncertain, but still...)
Lyddington gets 40Mbps broadband?! This town, which has a population of like 160x more than Lyddington, and even we only have a maximum of 10Mbps! We don't actually get anything anywhere near that - more like 4Mbps. /me wants the cable extended 20 miles down to here .
Well, the university campus that I live in has a 100Mb/s connection. Sounds good, right? Wrong. The connection is divided for the whole campus. That's 5 buildings with 300 people in each one. In the mornings it's ok but in the evenings it blows. I mean if you just want to surf on the Internet then it's acceptable but downloading stuff and streaming videos is slow and I would expect better from the "best technical university in Estonia". But it's free so...
im at 100MBS for about 65 pounds a month.
Quote from ACCAkut :afaik they "started" internet on optical fibers, whereas most western European states still use the old copper network, which can't handle those speeds.

We have optical fibers in Croatia IIRC...
#25 - Jakg
Interesting - Where the GF lives it's dialup only, and BT quoted £20k just to supply 7 houses with 2mbit broadband... £37k is very very good.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG