The online racing simulator
Quote from Joris :And boy are we proud!

Yeah, I mean like... his birthday should be a national holiday or something =D
Update on Stefan GP
Quote from f1technical :
"...Recent uncovered details about the parent company of Stefan GP have revealed just why the FIA may have denied the team a grid slot for 2010. With its financial detail unveiled and dubious claims unraveled, the business looks like a fraud, rather than an F1 team owner.
Zoran Stefanovic, the team's owner and apparent investor, owns a Serbian engineering company named AMCO. Before supporting Stefanovic's Formula One foray Stefan GP, Cologne based Toyota Motorsport was told AMCO was involved with space and military technology.
Continue reading after the jump

AMCO claimed it worked with Germany's Federal Defence Force (Bundeswehr) on flight drones and contributed to the European Space Agency's orbit launch rocket Ariane 5. In fact web pages were set up to popularise this belief.

"After consulting with the system manufacturers of the drones KZO and LUNA we can confirm that in the Bundeswehr product there are no technologies of the Serbian company AMCO," said a spokesman of the German defence department Bundesamtes fur Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung to Express.

Furthermore, the financial situation of AMCO also came to light by consulting the Serbian company registry. It appears there that AMCO Corporation is a limited liability company, founded on 14/03/2008 with a capital of 500 euros (80% for Zoran Stefanovic and 20% for Vuk Stefanovic).

Going further, the company that totals one single employee, realised 3315 Euro in 2009 and a net result of 42.7 Euro.

Considering these claims, it may come to no surprise why Stefan GP was not allowed an entry into 2010."...

Just a day later an Update is issued:

"UPDATE: In response to this report, AMCO has replied us with a letter, saying "The German newspapers Express published an article that is not founded on facts but on speculation and bad translation.

The AMCO Corporation never stated anywhere that "it cooperated with the German Federal Defense Forces (Bundeswehr) on a production of an unmanned aircraft”. The correct information is that one of our engineers was involved in a construction of an engine for a German company, the buyer, which turned out to be for an unmanned aircraft. We never stated nor did we ever imply that we worked with Bundeswehr in any form or way. Furthermore we have no idea how we were brought in context with the other German companies with whom we had no contacts at all. Illustration about capabilities of our personnel in Serbia was misunderstood and maliciously used for sensationalist journalism. Such construction of facts can only be aimed to discredit us and all the others mentioned."

"On the other hand, our people should be recognized for producing parts for the ARIANE V rocket, seven years ago by our company in Serbia. We are very proud of this fact."

And how exactly would Stefanovic have been supposed to buy Toyota's operation, then? Surely not with only a few euros.

Besides, we know for a fact that there is some kind of check done on teams to make sure that they're really serious (FIA sends inspectors), so even if Stefanovic had somehow tricked Toyota into letting him buy their team with his alleged non-money, the FIA would have probably uncovered the fraud and publicly announced that StefanF1 was not a considered entry as a new team, now or in the future.
A Karun's GP2 results good enough for a superlicense? Apparantly they are...
money can ?
Was thinking about setting up a USF1 server.....will be postponed for the first 4 weeks .
Quote from z-ro 8 :Was thinking about setting up a USF1 server.....will be postponed for the first 4 weeks .

You might aswell just call it off.
Quote from Joris :A Karun's GP2 results good enough for a superlicense? Apparantly they are...

India is a key market for F1's future expansion, and Ecclestone acknowledged that Chandhok's arrival was therefore well-timed.
"India is rapidly growing to be one of the most important and powerful players in the world of business, culture and sport and at FOM, we look at India very seriously," he said.
"We have an Indian F1 team on the grid, we will have an Indian Grand Prix thanks to the Jaypee Group in 2011 and so it seems only right that there should be an Indian driver in Formula 1."

thats why he got a licence
Quote from BreadC :India is a key market for F1's future expansion, and Ecclestone acknowledged that Chandhok's arrival was therefore well-timed.
"India is rapidly growing to be one of the most important and powerful players in the world of business, culture and sport and at FOM, we look at India very seriously," he said.
"We have an Indian F1 team on the grid, we will have an Indian Grand Prix thanks to the Jaypee Group in 2011 and so it seems only right that there should be an Indian driver in Formula 1."

thats why he got a licence

Chandhok was consistently beaten by Alvaro Parente this past gp2 season. By a lot.

But, money talks higher
Quote from boosterfire :And how exactly would Stefanovic have been supposed to buy Toyota's operation, then? Surely not with only a few euros.

Besides, we know for a fact that there is some kind of check done on teams to make sure that they're really serious (FIA sends inspectors), so even if Stefanovic had somehow tricked Toyota into letting him buy their team with his alleged non-money, the FIA would have probably uncovered the fraud and publicly announced that StefanF1 was not a considered entry as a new team, now or in the future.

1. Toyota wouldn't give a damn who they sold their stuff to, as long as they know for sure themselves they'll get the money. It wouldn't matter to them if it's just some rich kids deciding to waste a lot of money, or whether it's some "team" in F1.

2. If the FIA knows more about Stefan GP, it doesn't mean they would need to publicly announced it. If FIA did it might just open the door for Stefan GP to sue them for defamation or something. If FIA don't publicly announce anything, it won't harm the FIA in anyway at all, so there're basically no point for doing so.
Quote from Joris :A Karun's GP2 results good enough for a superlicense? Apparantly they are...

the way the Superlicense system work is that it usually care a lot more about mileage, rather than actual talent~

Karun's performance wasn't brilliant, but he did get a points finish (and sometimes podium) every now and then, although officially one do need to be in the top 3 in the final classification of the series to get the super license...

having said that, I don't remember Karun having done the required mileage, so it probably came down to the FIA granting him the license anyway...
checked again, Karun had done 2 days of testing in a Red Bull a couple of years ago, and most probably done more than enough miles to earn the super license...

Kobayashi was worse.
Quote from JCTK :having said that, I don't remember Karun having done the required mileage, so it probably came down to the FIA granting him the license anyway...

IIRC Raikkonen got his super license (on some sort of probational condition) despite having very little single-seater experience. I think they made the right choice that time.
Schumacher was karting 10 km from my home this weekend :O (Genk outdoor circuit)
Preparing for the Bahrain GP.

I wish i knew he was coming, would have checked him out.
I love how people bashing Karun's GP2 results forget the fact that Kobayashi was a complete reject to GP2.

I think this just proves that GP2 isn't that great of a tool to judge F1 success anymore...heck...just look at the GP2 car...IndyCars would be a better preparation tool for F1...(the modern 1996 one...not CART/ChampCar)
I don't think it's the car, it's more about the reality of professional racing not always giving a clear indication on real ability.
Quote from lizardfolk :I think this just proves that GP2 isn't that great of a tool to judge F1 success anymore.

By that standard not even F1 cars are a proper tool to judge F1 success potential. Just look at Button's history prior to Brawn.

Vain
Quote from Vain :By that standard not even F1 cars are a proper tool to judge F1 success potential. Just look at Button's history prior to Brawn.

Vain

In F1 it's widely acknowledged a driver doesn't make a huge difference in result. It's mainly car based.

However series like GP2 and others are single make and sold as true 'driver talent classes'. I personally feel they are the complete opposite. All these classes do is hide the fact that wealth can buy good results under the veil of so-called 'driver equality'.
Quote from Intrepid :In F1 it's widely acknowledged a driver doesn't make a huge difference in result. It's mainly car based.

However series like GP2 and others are single make and sold as true 'driver talent classes'. I personally feel they are the complete opposite. All these classes do is hide the fact that wealth can buy good results under the veil of so-called 'driver equality'.

Wealth buys results in all forms of motorsport.
What these single make series really do is force all the teams to get their kit from a select few companies and contractors, at massively inflated prices due to the lack of competition.
Quote from spookthehamster :Wealth buys results in all forms of motorsport.

Agreed but especially in the single seater stuff where you need budgets of up to £250,000+

If a race series however is manufacturer based and requires to hire drivers on a professional basis then pay-drivers struggle a bit more. Of course to reach the level where you actually 'get noticed' you need to have invested thousands. But this is why F1 teams sign up younger and younger drivers. single-seater single-make racing is a mine field in regard to spotting talent at times
Quote from GianniC :Might been discussed before, but I didn't knew we were going to Korea...

http://www.formula1.com/races/ ... _840/circuit_diagram.html

There was little media interest in that yes, but the dedicated motorsport sites did bring the story... Another one that's been built while the season gets underway: on the photo you can even see that there isn't anything built yet - I think they only recently started laying down tarmac...

Just like Abu Dhabi (even more, come to think of it), one asks himself what kind of market the F1 administration sees in Korea... Now, if it were a virtual GP, that would have the whole country watching...

Formula One Season 2010
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG