The online racing simulator
Flight Simulator X
(190 posts, started )
Quote from PoVo :Hey, after reading these posts, i decided to get into Flight sims, have done before but not Joystick (sounds retarded huh?)

I was wondering if this is a good Joystick to start off with?
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... evices/297&cl=roeu,en

Thanks

That stick doesn´t look like a bad choice. Personally I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force, so I can´t comment on how well the Logitech is built. But it has all the essential parts you need to start flying. It has a twist control for rudder, a throttle control, a POV to look around the virtual cockpit and numerous buttons.

Other than SidiousX I would recommend a Stick to starters. A yoke is too special IMHO and with a stick you are more versatile. You can fly Stick Aircraft, yoke Aircraft and even Helicopters. The latter one would feel a bit strange with a yoke I think and then you also need rudder pedals to fly a Helo.
That´s too much money for me to get started, so I recommend a stick and not a choke or HOTAS system.
Quote from PoVo :Hey, after reading these posts, i decided to get into Flight sims, have done before but not Joystick (sounds retarded huh?)

Thanks

I wouldn't buy one this expensive for starting out...

If I had to buy a cheap one to start I'd buy this one. It's only 30 euros here and very good.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyx.htm
Force feedback isn't necessary in my and many others opinion, since it ain't realistic anyway.

Then if you really like it you can buy stuff the equivalent of a G25 setup at the same prices.
You'll never moan about iRacing being pricey again!

Thanks

thats what I have and yes it is a good starter. I'm hoping to replace it with a hotas soon. But I have had it for what 4 years now. And nothing has gone wrong *touch wood*
It does, but it is easily sorted by removing the functions (most notably the changing view) from the controller, then it's fine.
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
I recently got Flight Simulator X. I was forever checking eBay for a cheap deal, but I wanted the deluxe version for the extra aircraft. Then I found CEX (second had shop, I've bought a couple of mobiles from them before) had the Gold version (deluxe + acceleration) for the same price as the basic version £15
If you're in the UK check out http://www.cex.co.uk/search/in ... ispostback=1&mode=buy

I've tried and failed to configure my G25 pedals as a rudder, since the clutch and accel pedals have similar stiffness. Anyone else been successfull with this?
Quote from P1lot :I recently got Flight Simulator X. I was forever checking eBay for a cheap deal, but I wanted the deluxe version for the extra aircraft. Then I found CEX (second had shop, I've bought a couple of mobiles from them before) had the Gold version (deluxe + acceleration) for the same price as the basic version £15
If you're in the UK check out http://www.cex.co.uk/search/in ... ispostback=1&mode=buy

I've tried and failed to configure my G25 pedals as a rudder, since the clutch and accel pedals have similar stiffness. Anyone else been successfull with this?

rather than setting the clutch and the accelerator as Rudder left / Rudder right. I found the easiest way is to just use the brake + Accelerator instead (even though the brake is harder, its still easy enough), Its a simple case of setting "combined pedals" on in the logitech profiler and disabling the FF so the wheel doesn't go crazy when you turn
Yeah alot of people try to use the pedals as rudders. Ideally people would like the clutch and gas, because of similar stiffness, but they dont' share an axis, so you have to use the gas and brake, which I won't even try using because it would feel wierd as hell.
Quote from franky500 :disabling the FF so the wheel doesn't go crazy when you turn

Woops, that's where I've been going wrong lol, forgot i could disable the FF on the profiler lmao, I just disconnect the darn thing
Quote from Xaid0n :Woops, that's where I've been going wrong lol, forgot i could disable the FF on the profiler lmao, I just disconnect the darn thing

..or just go into the FSX controls config and remove the wheel axis. No need to fiddle about with the Logitech settings then.
True, but I hate fiddling with the menus, so I just pull the plug from the steering wheel.... then forget to plug it back in when i wanna use it
ok i have a g25, and an attack 3 joystick in the place of a handbrake, someone please pm me with what controls i need, and what i should have and what they are...i want to use the pedals for whatever they are usually used for
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
I'm using the G25 clutch and throttle pedals as rudder pedals, the brake pedal as left and right brake pedals and the wheel as throttle.

The trick (and only way) to getting the pedals to report as a single axis and be able to use them in FSX, is using a joystick emulator called PPJoy and a game controller scripting program called GlovePIE. Both are free.

I installed both, then wrote a script that would take the axes of the G25 to move the axes of PPJoy, which can then be assigned in FSX. (Note that your axes will probably be named differently, so you need to change those before it'll work).

This uses the G25 throttle and clutch pedals, which my system recognizes as Joystick2.dial and Joystick2.y, to move my virtual PPJoy joystick.
//X axis = Clutch & Throttle pedal
PPJoy1.Analog0 = 0.5*Joystick2.dial - 0.5*Joystick2.y

Likewise, I can also hook up my brake pedal to be reported as 2 PPJoy pedals, so I can configre those as Brake Left and Brake Right in FSX
//Slider 1 & X Rotation -> Brake pedal
PPJoy1.Analog4 = Joystick2.rz
PPJoy1.Analog6 = Joystick2.rz

And this is how I set up my wheel. Note the 1.04 value! Since the G25 moves back a few milimeters when you push it to its lock due to the FFB, it's impossible to leave the value at 100%, so I multiplied it a little bit.
//Z Rotation -> Steering wheel
PPJoy1.Analog2 = 1.04*Joystick2.x

Then... to make my life even easier, I just created a shortcut on my desktop that would run my GlovePIE script and then start up FSX, and filled in the following under Target:

"E:\Program Files\GlovePIE\GlovePIE.exe" -SCRIPTNAME /r:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"

anyone able to tell me the mostimportant control and what exactly they do....
Quote from logitekg25 :anyone able to tell me the mostimportant control and what exactly they do....

Do the tutorials in the game. We can't tell you how to fly over a forum.
i know how to fly, but i dont know what control to assign to what axis and button, and instead of reading every individual one and googleing it, i would rather someone explain it
All you need to assign is throttle up/down buttons or an axis, trim and flap buttons, yoke 4-way axis, and rudder pedals/buttons. Then add buttons for brakes or lights as you wish.
Yeah as far as I'm aware, I never did any assignments, it detected my joystick and put all the appropriate axis'(?). I didn't bother putting all the little controls on my joystick, I've gotten too familiar with hitting F4-F8 for flaps, F2 for reverse thrust, etc....
*mayor bumpage*

Microsoft Flight has been released today, seems like you need to install GFWL for it
Would like to test it straight away but unfortunately I still have to work for a couple of hours.
it is a stupid dumbed down game with most of the unofficial support blocked off, Don't see anyone getting it.
If you're a serious flight simmer forget it. It's a dumbed down pile of garbage, and with no support for third party addons it's a major fail.

Looks pretty nice, and runs smoothly enough, though a lot of that has to do with nothing like AI planes running at all.

Deleted.

Back to FSX,ORBX scenery and A2A planes for me.
im not so serious, but i like flying
so ill give this a shot.
will only be a spare thing if i get fed up with my other games
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :im not so serious, but i like flying
so ill give this a shot.
will only be a spare thing if i get fed up with my other games

+1

does it have multiplayer?

installing.............
just tried it...not all that bad imo.
/me needs a joystick

Flight Simulator X