The online racing simulator
iPad
(211 posts, started )
Quote from JJ72 :The only people I see who uses netbooks are tossers who has to be online ALL THE TIME, people who chat online while they are in the subway...on the bus, or even walking.

I find my OSX netbook to be a great device to use after I go to bed in the evening, normal laptop would be far too bulky and big to have on your bed. Having a few words with irc buddies and maybe a bit of trade management in Eve Online brings you asleep in much more comfort than simply rolling around in bed.

But I guess those are just my techno-tosser genes at work.
-
(bunder9999) DELETED by bunder9999 : because i can
I use my netbook for loafing around the house all the time, and I could maybe use an iPad - but I can't run MSN while I surf and £399 is a rediculous price. £99 (cheap ARM non-x86 netbook) or even £149 (the price of a Windows XP Mini 9...), perhaps, but not £399!
Quote from danowat :It'll be ridiculously overpriced, light on features and sell MASSIVELY.

Just like every other Apple piece of crap.

Bullshit. Have you had a view at what the costs really are, not only for the development process but also for the material and such? I don't, but I believe it's not a rip off at all but quite the contrary.

Personally, I don't have a single product from apple yet, although I do find some are quite innovative and useful due to the pure simplicity, focused not only on the design but also on the way they try to reinvent common and known ways of doing things. Whats wrong with thinking differently, creating something new or round off something to make it even better?

Now, in the past, I've been traveling a lot by train and there are always these kind of people that are using almost the entire table for their friggin laptops. I've got one as well, but in my eyes, it's just way to impractical, space & time consuming to build everything up and such.

This thing would be perfect for these kind of situations I believe. Not too massively built, got all the stuff I need for a trip by train, bus or air plane and the battery life is amazing as well, considering that most laptops won't even last half as long, afaik.

What's the point of it? Well, let me try and make an educated guess. It's called progress, right? People had also raised that kind of question once the wheel has been announced, or the cell phone, the car, train, air plane...you name it. If it would be for some of the people in here, we would be still sitting in our caves waiting for our boring lifes to end real soon, yay...
Quote from 510N3D :Snip.

Progress?, boy, I've read some stuff on here, but this is a doozy.

So progress is taking an existing product, making it look (arguably) a bit nicer, removing a SHEDLOAD of functionallity from it, making it only able to run one thing at a time, having extremely limited connectiviy, and selling it WAY over the market price of products that have much more to offer.

THAT isn't progress, that it thinking that your market will bend over and take a large one up the rear.
Quote from danowat :THAT isn't progress, that it thinking that your market will bend over and take a large one up the rear.

seems to have worked okay for apple for ages now, this isn't anything new.
Quote from bunder9999 :seems to have worked okay for apple for ages now, this isn't anything new.

Sad but true, and it shows their complete arrogance.
It's about fitting the needs, not for everybody on the entire planet but for those who just need what it offers. You almost act like you have to buy it. You don't like it and it doesn't fit your needs? That's fine. You're not the only person on this planet nor is your lifestyle (or set of preferences) compareable, or a "doozy" for everybody else to strive for, is it?

Quote from Becky Rose :
As for the iPad, this first generation one is not going to last long - it's clearly a market tester - it's missing features that other iProducts have such as the mic & video camera, if the market accepts the product then a new version will come out with those things - I suspect they've capped the R&D costs until they're sure the market will take it.

And that's a killer question. Apple are really trying their luck with this one and testing the feilty of their die hard Macophiles. The iPod was great, the iPhone was great, the iPod Touch was reasonable, but this revamped Apple Newton is the biggest risk to Apple's health since Isaac Newton fired an arrow at an one (see what I did there? Oh yeah, I has it...).

Thanks to becky, this is also exactly the way I see it. I don't think it really is perfect at all yet but still, it is undeniable something new and innovative in many aspects already.
Quote from danowat :Sad but true, and it shows their complete arrogance.

They make the products that sell. People buy them. I don't think that makes them arrogant - they're just trying to make money. If people don't like their products they'll stop buying them... But if people are happy to buy 'overpriced', 'underfeatured' stuff like the iPad then they'll keep making them.

I still think that later revisions to the software will add a decent amount of functionality, and it's likely that those software updates will be ready in time for the actual release of the iPad.
People all expected this apple tablet to be revolutionary and game-changing before the announcement. When Apple introduce a product anything less than "OMG WHOA I WANT ONE OF THOSE", they will start saying how sh!t Apple and find a million reasons to hate it.

The Apple iPad is an improved version of all the tablets that failed in the past decade. It might be expensive, it might be simple, but that's the Apple way. It always has been. People are complaining about 3G optional. Let's be honest, would you REALLY take the iPad on the subway for a video conferencing or something? The majority of consumers don't need that functionailty, which is why they make it optional.

Wait til the release of iPhone OS 4.0 before you make up your mind on the iPad. The multi-tasking issue can easily be solved through the new OS 4.0.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :The majority of consumers don't need that functionailty, which is why they make it optional.

And here in lies the crux.

The removal of functionality that consumers don't need is normally done to keep costs down, you offer a stripped down product to your userbase at a reduced cost, and those that want the functionality, pay extra.

However, this isn't the apple way, they remove functionality from the product, but charge more than a comparable product that actually has more functionality.

I can't believe so many people are suckered into buying apple products, but they do .
Quote from 510N3D :It's about fitting the needs, not for everybody on the entire planet but for those who just need what it offers.

Divide by zero error.
I already own an iPad "nano"

I prefer a tablet that allows me to tinker a bit with it.
Quote from Eldanor :I already own an iPad "nano"

I prefer a tablet that allows me to tinker a bit with it.

Quote from 510N3D :Now, in the past, I've been traveling a lot by train and there are always these kind of people that are using almost the entire table for their friggin laptops. I've got one as well, but in my eyes, it's just way to impractical, space & time consuming to build everything up and such.

This thing would be perfect for these kind of situations I believe.

try holding 700g up in front of your face for 4 hours straight
then think again if the thing is suitable for that sort of use

Quote :and the battery life is amazing as well, considering that most laptops won't even last half as long, afaik.

im not sure what rock youve been under the past year or two but nowerdays 10h isnt anything particularly special anymore
http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3693&p=6
and that 1005pe is a ~300€ device that does everything better except for the screen
Eh... I mean if it's a tablet,then what's the point of selling it via mobile network providers/carriers. But I like it,may even buy that one.
I don't want one because to be honest, it's nothing more than a huge iPhone. But I want one because it is exactly that - a huge iPhone. I like the idea of a huge iPhone.
Apple has become very clever at making people pay quite a lot of money on something they either don't need or they could buy for a lot less money from a different manufacturer.

I suppose that's hats off to apple and somewhere between 'shrug' and 'point and laugh' at those who actually buy it!
Quote from Shotglass :try holding 700g up in front of your face for 4 hours straight
then think again if the thing is suitable for that sort of use

Yeah 700g, that is pretty heavy, for an infant perhaps.

Quote from Shotglass :im not sure what rock youve been under the past year or two but nowerdays 10h isnt anything particularly special anymore
http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3693&p=6
and that 1005pe is a ~300€ device that does everything better except for the screen

Besides the fact that I've said "afaik", which should imply that I haven't been quite sure about that statement though, the charts of that website and common sense are telling me that laptops are still not capable of doing 10 hours straight, at least not when it comes down to heavy usage, like playing games or watching high definition videos. They usually have much bigger screens and actually a totally different hardware structure than the iPad...
Do you think the iPad will last 10 hours playing games or watching an HD film (with its non HD screen?)?

I doubt it somehow.
Being an Apple fanboy, I think its absolutly ama...

ah fuᴄk it. I can't believe Apple didn't go for something like the Modbook.

APPLE FANBOY ANGRY
APPLE FANBOY SMASH!
Quote from Jakg :

Ridiculous.

I've read the features list, and looks like we're supposed to spend a load of money for something you get locked into. Can get software from iStore, can't load anything from external sources, DRM that will prolly stop you from playing radio in mp3 from podcast...
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Apple has become very clever at making people pay quite a lot of money on something they either don't need or they could buy for a lot less money from a different manufacturer.

Not only. There's also a "pet to care" factor: basically, if you buy a poorly designed phone or player, to use it daily you have to care of it 15-30 minutes each day. I remember owning an expensive phone in 2002, in which, morning alarm could be set for 1 time only, so I needed to set alarms for each day. To delete SMS, it took 3-4 clicks. When it fell down from my jeans pocket, the scroll wheel button failed, and that was the "Enter" button. Had to repair it for 1/4 of price (which could buy me a new simple phone) had to wait for a month, and still I hadn't enough and tried to continue using it

What happens if one drops iPad on the floor?

iPad
(211 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG