The online racing simulator
I gotta agree with DevilDare... You are like hungry wolves, that need a victim in the mean time before they get to the sheep.. You know, it's kinda sad to see how you turn against anyone who wants the forum clean.
Sad ..but ..true.
Who is "you" ?
And as a German, i have a problem with clean places . Why not let them ask her questions? If the questions would be the same you could link to your answer in another thread, but how to handle when the question is different but you read always the same answer. THAT is boring.
Quote from thisnameistaken :You and who?

"A lot of us" are sick of aggressive responses from people like you.

Spot on

And to answer the OP. No. Hopefully the devs are taking this much time to get it up to the standard set by iRacing and netKar pro. I'll happily wait for as long as it takes for them to get it right. No one wants a half arsed incomplete physics update. I'm happily racing other sims until they are ready.
Quote from Dac :The flat spotting and over heating are crucial parts to the simulator

What I referred to was the current segmented tire model, which isn't realistic either, since real tires are analog not digital.

Flat spotting could be emulated instead of simulated, perhaps by offsetting the weight on a tire to make it bounce instead of trying to simulate an actual flat spot. The end result would probably be close enough to the current model to accomplish the same goal as the current model.

The current hot spotting model isn't that realistic anyway, so I'm not sure that it needs to be re-implemented in it's current state with the new tire physics.

My concern here was that the current segemented model may conflict with the new tire physics, as I suspect that the model needs to consider the contact patch and the parts of the tire affected by the contact patch as a whole rather than as a bunch of somewhat independent segments.

A more realistic approach would be to have dynamically sized segments, but that seems overly complex.

The main point here is that since the tire physics is being redone, perhaps now would be a good time to do a rethink of the segemented model.
The tyre model is analog ,not digital. Digital would be Hot or cold . Analog is with many, many steps between this two circumstances .( like we have now )
It's an analogue system on a digital machine. Besides, the segmented model is a damn good way of doing it if you think about it. Your suggested method would lose any attempt at realism (e.g. repeatedly locking a wheel on the same flat spot).
Quote from tristancliffe :repeatedly locking a wheel on the same flat spot.

I think my offsetting weight method would produce similar results, the tire would tend to lock up at a previous flat spot. I don't know if or how the current segmented model deals with flat spots that are longer than one tire segment, so it's hard to say just how realistic it is.

A dynamic (variable size) segmented model would be more accurate, to prevent it from getting overly complex, there would need to be some arbritrary limit on the number of dynamic segements on a tire.
Quote from JeffR :I think my offsetting weight method would produce similar results, the tire would tend to lock up at a previous flat spot. I don't know if or how the current segmented model deals with flat spots that are longer than one tire segment, so it's hard to say just how realistic it is.

A dynamic (variable size) segmented model would be more accurate, to prevent it from getting overly complex, there would need to be some arbritrary limit on the number of dynamic segements on a tire.

I think you're going to have to try and explain what by Dynamic (variable size) you mean?

I can see several possible options, although none seem to add significantly more benefits. Also, I think the weight offsetting is missing the fact a flat spot is not only goin to cause vibrations at the wheel, but it will miss out the wear of the tyre... at the moment the LFS Tyre model allows you to flat spot the tyre, as a result making you more likely to catch this flat spot again and the segments of the tyre that are overheating/flat are also thinner now and getting thinner with every lock up...
Quote from Kamrock :I think you're going to have to try and explain what by Dynamic (variable size) you mean?

Instead of modeling flat spots with a 1 or more fixed sized segments, a flat spot would be a calculated surface area of the tread, essentially the size of the affected contact patch on the tire. This area would then become one of the dynamic segments on the tire. If the tire was flat spotted in another part, then another dynamic segment would be created. If the segments overlapped, they could be merged into a single segment if appropriate. There would need to be some reasonable limit on this, perhaps 3 to 6 segments would be enough.

For the hot spotting, or at least to deal with camber issues, the hot section would be a cylinder all the way around the tread, but only partly across the tread, with an average temperature and an temperature gradient parameter for outside to inside of that hot "cylinder". 3 cylinders zones around the tire would probably be enough.

In real life, unless the flat spotting is extremely minor, you genernally have to pit and get a tire change.
Quote from DevilDare :*Bangs his head against the wall endlesly*

Can the mods/devs update the Forum Rules and put in a like a temporary rule that states "Any new threads about development will results in a infraction".

Quote from DevilDare :
At the moment there are 5 threads on the first page about development.

I think this says just how much frustration there is about the lack of real developement. The devs have said what they are doing and why, and everyone understands that, however it has to be possible for them to keep a frustrated forum more informed of how its going.

As it is they seem to be saying that good old classic "The cheque is in the post" and after a while that wears a bit thin.

As to "Go and race other sims" people have.

My old boss used to say, "If someone moans to you, always treat it as a compliment."

What he was saying was those who moan/complain have at least taken the time to say something, that they care about your company or product and want to support it, they will tell others about it.

The customers who say nothing are the ones who never come back and they will say bad things about it in private.

Saying all of that its clear the devs take no notice at all of our frustrations and have made it clear "It will be done when it done"

We have already closed down 4 of our LFS servers and opened up 2 on nKpro while we wait. Leguna Seca, Spa, Silverstone and Snetterton are just great tracks dont you think.......... But it would be great to race LFS again very soon
Quote from tristancliffe : Besides, the segmented model is a damn good way of doing it if you think about it.

Yes, and it is surprising that this should not work any more.

Quote :We found it impossible to simply use the old heating model with some adjusted figures as we had hoped. Some more real updates are needed to get the heating and cooling of tyres right.

That post doesn't mention the segmented part of it not working, but the algorithms used within it for the heating/cooling. I would be very surprised if the segment system doesn't remain.

But I'm no programmer, and I've no special insider information. Just a hunch really.
Quote from Ger Roady :The tyre model is analog ,not digital. Digital would be Hot or cold . Analog is with many, many steps between this two circumstances .( like we have now )

Many, many steps is stil digital. Analog is a continues movement, not steps
0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 = Digital
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 = Analog

My pedals still works analog with 255 steps. Yours not ?
Quote from Ger Roady :0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 = Digital
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 = Analog

0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 = Digital
1 10 11 100 101 110 111 1000 1001 1010 = Analog

?
Your POT is read by a ADC so the PC is seeing a digital representaion of an analog signal, not the actual analog singnal. Hence why some pay dollars to get higher precision analog to digital converters as well as better quality POTs which then in turn gives greater precision in control input in a game as it will be "closer" to an analog signal...
Quote from birder :(...)

We have already closed down 4 of our LFS servers and opened up 2 on nKpro while we wait. Leguna Seca, Spa, Silverstone and Snetterton are just great tracks dont you think.......... But it would be great to race LFS again very soon

Hi. The last weekend I fired up netkar pro and noticed CD servers with people racing. But in Laguna, and I don't have that track in this SIM. I must find it to join the fun
In this manner you can't find anything analog in a computer system because you can always go down to 0 and 1.
Quote from Ger Roady :In this manner you can't find anything analog in a computer system because you can always go down to 0 and 1.

Yes you are right. But some systems are closer to analogue fidelity but never equal. This is of topic and maybe you dont care, but thats why virtual instruments or processing units will never sound like the the real analog gear. Same applies to vinyl and CDs. Take care
Quote from Ger Roady :In this manner you can't find anything analog in a computer system because you can always go down to 0 and 1.

Exactly, analog is only an illusion. With very little steps it is close to analog but it isn't analog.

edit: tiagolapa was faster
Quote from DevilDare :*Bangs his head against the wall endlesly*

Can the mods/devs update the Forum Rules and put in a like a temporary rule that states "Any new threads about development will results in a infraction".

This explains another problem.

The tyres are not round .. they are square. That must be the reason , I am so slow.
They aren't square. At least not more square than floating point precision permits. The sections just hold the information, but have nothing to do with the collision between tyre and asphalt itself.

E: Or was that meant as a jab at "hurr, nothing is analogue"?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG