The online racing simulator
Racer - free PC sim game
(27 posts, started )
Racer - free PC sim game
http://www.racer.nl/

WHAT IS RACER?
Racer is a free car simulation project, using real car physics to get a realistic feeling. Cars, tracks, scenes and such can be created with relative simplicity in mind (compared to other driving simulations). The 3D and other file formats are, or should be, documented. Editors and support programs are also available to get a very flexible and expandable simulator. It uses OpenGL for rendering.
It attempts to do well at the physics section, trying to create life-like cars to emphasize car control and doesn't cut back on realism in the interest of fun. If you've played Grand Prix Legends from Papyrus, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I have tried this game many many times, since the first version. The developmet is even slower than LFS and even though the idea is cool, I have never enjoyed it. Last version is 0.8.7 Beta but IMO it should be called 0.000001 Alpha since looks as unfinished as it did 5 years back.
Hopefully someday will be more enjoyable because I really like the concept, but is in a too early stage for me
dling looks quite fun
wow, I wouldn't have thought that there is anybody in the PC sim racing world who hasn't ever heard of Racer.

But OT: Even though I like open source software and projects, Racer is a prime example that something that relies on user created content and "mods" is basically 99% utterly shitty and 1 % decent.
I used to play this before I found LFS. None of the cars in it where anywhere near realistic. It was more of a screenshot generator than a sim.
Quote from ColeusRattus :But OT: Even though I like open source software and projects, Racer is a prime example that something that relies on user created content and "mods" is basically 99% utterly shitty and 1 % decent.

Like this?
looks good.

im dling to see if its any good.

theres more mods than anything else though.
I can run LFS at 1024x768 res with aa and af on full at 50-60fps, with racer on its default settings, i get about 2 fps, its a pile 'o crap.
Quote from CoolColJ :LOL :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2uSMKcBb1w

That's actually quite interesting, as there are virtually no trucking sims or games with "believable" physics out there, save for maybe 1 or 2 obscure projects still under development (and excluding Rig N Roll which is scheduled for international release somewhere next month, but I'm not sure how good it'll be).
It's good to have fun on your own (polish roads map is quite cool) but the mods can be quite suckish. You will spend hours downloading all the cars you want, only to find they get corrupted when used in certain versions of Racer.
rig n roll is finally almost finished!?
wow, that game should've been done in 2006 or something, I pointed it out to a friend of mine and we were like, wow a truck sim.
That would be nice.
So we waited and we waited, 'till we decided we should like, try other/older truck 'sims' and were disappointed.
Now we just see what happens.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :rig n roll is finally almost finished!?
wow, that game should've been done in 2006 or something, I pointed it out to a friend of mine and we were like, wow a truck sim.
That would be nice.
So we waited and we waited, 'till we decided we should like, try other/older truck 'sims' and were disappointed.
Now we just see what happens.

Rin n Roll was released in Russia last month. You can buy it if you feel you can't wait any longer (like a lot of people did) but the game will be in Russian

To be honest, from what I've read on the forum I'm quite disappointed. It seems to have a number of bugs and performance issues, and some lacking features that I thought were pretty important in a trucking game. Mind you, it's not a sim They set out to create a sim early in the beginning - what, 6 years ago now? - but moved away from that to make a more arcade type of game. The physics are supposed to be decent, though, so that's something at least.
Quote from ColeusRattus :wow, I wouldn't have thought that there is anybody in the PC sim racing world who hasn't ever heard of Racer.

That's what I was thinking..
It not works on mine Windows 7s!
I also played this before LFS. It was pretty boring cause there's only 1 track and
2 cars.
The idea was that you download user created cars and tracks. You could find hundreds of cars and loads and loads of tracks. But finding a good car to drive was a tough task.
I tried this last night. Saw that it didn't have proper resolution support, and it wouldn't recognize my Fanatec.
Quote :It's good to have fun on your own (polish roads map is quite cool)

I downloaded this for World Racing 2, it's much more fun trying to overtake the traffic. Physics aren't much worse either.
#22 - senn
Racer is how i originally discovered LFS. If you want some good real world road tracks, get rFactor or GTR Evo and download some addon tracks. Doesn't have traffic, but i'm kinda waiting for TDU2 for that :P
Its a fantastic game, works great on my mac. The fourm on RSC is down though, that kinda sucks.
Quote from obsolum :That's actually quite interesting, as there are virtually no trucking sims or games with "believable" physics out there, save for maybe 1 or 2 obscure projects still under development (and excluding Rig N Roll which is scheduled for international release somewhere next month, but I'm not sure how good it'll be).

There is Rigs of Rods

Racer - free PC sim game
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG