The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z28 (installer test + minor updates)
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW PHYSICS / VW SCIROCCO / ROCKINGHAM

Hello Racers, here is a new Test Patch : Z28. It is fully compatible with version Z25.

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from version Z25 so you can go back to Z25 if there are any problems.

This is mainly about the new installer which Victor has been working on. It will be very helpful for new users, who often had problems with the self-extracting archives we used until now and sometimes installed LFS into the wrong place.

Thank you translators, for making and updating the new installer translations.

The installer gives you a default folder of C:\LFS but you can choose wherever you like. Vista and Windows 7 users should preferably not use their Program Files folder because of some issues that come up.

The installer is very non-intrusive, it just does a normal LFS install and adds an icon to your desktop (if you wish) and a start menu item (if you wish). Also optional is an auto setup of file associations for SPR / MPR / LYT and SET files. There is always at least one entry made to the registry, to allow the uninstaller to work. If you want to recreate an old-style install, with nothing added to the registry and no shortcuts you can follow the following steps :

1) Install LFS (you can disable file associations and shortcuts during the install if you like)
2) Uninstall LFS - you'll see an option that allows you to leave the LFS folder in place. All registry entries and shortcuts will be removed.

Also new is updated support for the URL lfs:// which can be used to start LFS using a command line from a web page. This is the new method for "LFS Join" links at www.lfsworld.net and from the forum. Previously a special program needed to be installed but now the links will work for any copy of LFS installed using the installer.

You can test the full version installer, or you can use the Z25 to Z28 patch installer. This will require you to select your existing LFS folder.

IMPORTANT NOTE : You will need to unlock after installing Z28!

This is because of a fix for hibernating computers losing their unlock.
We have made sure you have some unlocks spare.
You do not need to unlock again if you already unlocked with Z27.

Changes in Z28 :

Reduced minimum speed in SHIFT+U mode to 0.1 m/s
FIX : Could not join S1 or S2 host after unlocking in Multiplayer screen
FIX : Multiple host passwords are now stored for local network ip / port

Changes from Z25 to Z27 :

Various updates to translations
Reduced minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode
Added support for lfs:// start LFS with command line from web page
Multiple host passwords are now stored (Join Specific Host screen)
FIX : It was possible to reset the car while a vote was in progress
FIX : Clicking SPR / MPR did not work if "Load track when starting"
FIX : Help buttons sometimes translated after returning to English
FIX : Two or more dedicated hosts could be started with same port

DOWNLOADS :

PATCH Z25 to Z28 (installer) (Z25 must already be installed) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs. ... ATCH_Z25_TO_Z28_setup.exe (2.3 MB)

FULL VERSION Z28 (installer) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_Z28_setup.exe (134 MB)

DEDICATED HOST Z28 (non-graphical version for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_Z28.zip (1.6 MB)
Gonna try
[edit]: so far cant find any bugs.
i can feel we are getting closer to 0.6A. gonna try now second post yeah
Great!
#5 - Bean0
It even remembered no shortcuts, excellent
#6 - Dmt
Scawen loves to tease whole community with these test patches
Well what can i say, I installed every testpatch sofar. And the is the best one sofar, the best installer.

it remembers everything:
Shortcut
Protical url stuff
etc,

Just perfect, Excelllent work, No bug found sofar!!
thx for doing the change for me so quickly ...I am really surprised and pleased
it is nice that devs care about opinion and needs of every racer
You said you stop working with the test patches and will work on the new physics etc
No bugs found and the installer remembers everything
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :You said you stop working with the test patches and will work on the new physics etc

Yes, that's what I did, for some weeks I worked on the new physics, just as I said.

Victor pointed out the need for an installer and I agree, it's very important for LFS. He also does technical support so knows better than anyone the problems that come up.

I don't think Victor or I realised quite the little journey it would take us on, but I'm very pleased with the result and think it was well worth a few days off the physics, to help inlclude the URL association and fix the other Z25 issues.
Patch update
We just made one small change to the Z25_TO_Z28 patch. Now, if you do happen to place it in an existing LFS Z25 folder, then it will use the current folder as the default install location and in that case you don't need to navigate to your LFS folder. Otherwise the navigation starts at C:\LFS just as before.

That is important for two reasons :

1) Many LFS users will download straight into their LFS folder anyway - so this saves the additional navigation

2) It means it should be possible to put the Z25_TO_Z28 patch on the auto update system and it will work easily (though I have not tested this yet).

The updated patch is available using the same link in the first post.
#13 - Bub
woah, nice job, gon test it out
Thanks Scawen
there are some bugs with the Nvidia 3D view.
From the outside is perfect but from the inside nvidia cant render the car correct.. i will give support for what you devs need to make the perfect render from the inside. The problem is that Nvidia renders the interior good but the place of the rendered image is placed more to the left and it can make a correct 3D object
Quote from Scawen :...Now, if you do happen to place it in an existing LFS Z25 folder, then it will use the current folder as the default install location and in that case you don't need to navigate to your LFS folder. Otherwise the navigation starts at C:\LFS just as before...

Nope.
I moved the Z25toZ28 exe to my Z25 folder, launched it, but it didn't pick that folder up.
XP SP3.
Attached images
lfs z28 bug.jpg
Scawen, maybe lets work on some kind of Launcher when user can check did ons erver is some new:

[] Stable Release/Update
[] Test Patch

when user can choose what he want to check did its updated and he will choose then which he want to download

good or bad idea?
Quote from Ripley :Nope.
I moved the Z25toZ28 exe to my Z25 folder, launched it, but it didn't pick that folder up.
XP SP3.

The reason : you renamed your LFS.exe to something else.
Quote from Victor :The reason : you renamed your LFS.exe to something else.

DOH!
That's worth a FACEPALM!!
#20 - Zay
Sorry guys, for jinxing this, but I have a really, really good feeling...
Quote from Zay :Sorry guys, for jinxing this, but I have a really, really good feeling...

I have a good feeling too. And that is - we'll soon have an installer.

But I really need to make it clear the physics has quite a way to go. Just in case that's what you were thinking.
It's amazing how much bugs is discovered when you publish those patches, I can't imagine what it would be like, if there wasn't this public testing... good job! No bugs found.
Scavier! U 3 GUYS ROCK THE HOUSE!

No bugs found on this patch!

awesome work!

Good luck an a good night to ya Scawen and Victor! and to the rest of community!
Yeah, I must also add my personal spam post to the good feelings in here.
I was thinking today at work, after closely watching all these test patches flowing in the last days, all the people here testing and helping, all this direct communication with the developers themselves...WOW!! That's the way it should be!!
Thanks LFS Team for all your hard relentless work!!

...Oh, yes...by the way...NO bugs found!
Quote from Gudowski :Scawen, maybe lets work on some kind of Launcher when user can check did ons erver is some new:

[] Stable Release/Update
[] Test Patch

when user can choose what he want to check did its updated and he will choose then which he want to download

good or bad idea?

Check attachment
Attached images
lfslauncher.png
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z28 (installer test + minor updates)
(84 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG