The online racing simulator
Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
well... I also noticed the control improved (quicker reaction..?).

well-improved after patching from Z to Z16.

after Z16, with every test patch nothing changed, util Z24, when it got worse (approx. same as with z). and from z24 to z25 it slightly improved again.

and I didn't update the drivers for the wheel...
I just patched one by one.

Now I have Z25 and Z24 in different folders. I can surely tell you that the controls are different.
Maybe you have different calibration files (.con in data\misc AFAIK)
can you have a normal widescreen monitor in the middle, then a smaller monitor at either side but rotated into portrait mode (obviously matching the width of the smaller side monitors to the height of the larger main monitor) ?

the side monitors would also be at 45 degrees when looking at a plan view of the desk, so overall allowing me a huge fov width for a small desk with restricted space!
Quote from Scawen :No suggestions, only questions :

- What version of Windows are you using?
- Is it any different if you exit LFS in a window or full screen?
- At what point in the loading process is the hang?

It's quite surprising if simply reinstalling the patch helps the problem, because there are no configuration files in the patch, so it won't be overwriting any of your configuration files (e.g. cfg.txt). And when LFS behaves differently the second time you run it, the normal thing to think of is that something saved in a file like cfg.txt is causing the problem.

Windows Vista
Problem Now sorted, my shortcut was messed up.
Quote from Shadowww :Then maybe you weren'tr drifting them for long time so you forgot how they handle.

ya, probably which is why i am not really acusing anything of the new patch

my set i remember when i could drift it, the only way to not spin was to go full lock to full lock, and i somehow got decent angle
Quote from branney :can you have a normal widescreen monitor in the middle, then a smaller monitor at either side but rotated into portrait mode (obviously matching the width of the smaller side monitors to the height of the larger main monitor) ?

the side monitors would also be at 45 degrees when looking at a plan view of the desk, so overall allowing me a huge fov width for a small desk with restricted space!

You can specify the widths of each individual monitor it LFS now.

e: but more to this than I ever knew.
Quote from branney :can you have a normal widescreen monitor in the middle, then a smaller monitor at either side but rotated into portrait mode (obviously matching the width of the smaller side monitors to the height of the larger main monitor) ?

Just to mention - please make sure you research this fully before buying any monitors, if that was your plan!

I'm not sure if a TH2Go supports different screen sizes (please someone let us know). Maybe you would use SoftTH? That is a good program that lets a lot of people use a three screen setup but it needs a fast computer because as I understand it, it sends rendered images down to the graphics card for the side screens, rather than rendering the images on the cards themselves so is not the ideal solution if you can use a single graphics card with a three screen output.

Anyway as JasonJ says, LFS does support different width side screens. From LFS's point of view any setup is OK, as long as LFS is presented with a single "surface" to draw the images on. LFS itself does not communicate with multiple graphics cards. Screen sizes may be different, provided that all side screens are the same resolution. The setting in LFS allows you to specify main screen width and side screen width. You can see the settings in LFS if you make a very wide and low window, and specify one or more side monitors.
Quote from VulcanConray :For a start, I dont profess to know much if anything, but all cars I've driven (passenger, 4wd, sports) with ABS seem to 'let go' a little when the ABS kicks in. That is, they deccelerate slower when ABS is active.
I've always found the best technique for maximum braking is to rapidly but smoothly apply the brakes (to give the suspension time to load up and settle) until you get lockup on (hopefully) one of the front wheels, then to back it off slightly until the wheel unlocks then increase pressure again until you feel the edge of traction being reached again.
It sucks your eyes out of their sockets if you get it right in a car endowed with decent sized brakes.

I've always found ABS to be a little disconcerting when driving hard. What with the pedal shudder and the general sense that you're forfeiting a little bit of car control to a computer somewhere under the hood.
But thats just my 2 cents.

Yeah but not everyone can drive like you. For the majority of people, when they are under emergency situation they just slam the brakes. They have no knowledge or the technique to prevent locking their brakes. Therefore if you are a good enough driver take it off, but for the rest its the best to leave it on.
Quote from Scawen :
I'm not sure if a TH2Go supports different screen sizes (please someone let us know). Maybe you would use SoftTH?

No, TH2GO don't support different screen size. The problem with SoftTH is you are limited for the PCIe bus speed, because you need an extra graphic card to connect the third monitor.

For example a friend with a nVidia 295GTX play LFS with 3 monitors at 40FPS, me with a nVidia 8800GT I play LFS at 60-90FPS.

I think playing with a SoftTH + 295GTX or SoftTH + 8800GT no has difference in FPS rate.

Another important point to use different screen size is know if the pixel size are exact size for both monitors. If any monitor have a pixel size bigger than other you will see a bigger image in this monitor and never will fit with the other monitors
Sorry, Bad assumption on my part that.
Quote from Napalm Candy :No, TH2GO don't support different screen size. The problem with SoftTH is you are limited for the PCIe bus speed, because you need an extra graphic card to connect the third monitor.

PCIe bandwidth does not limit FPS with SoftTH that much. Only if you have very high resolution and/or if the second GPU is on very low multiplier PCIe (1x). Even 4x should be enough for most resolutions, with 8x you should be able to run 3x30" without the bandwidth becoming a problem. SoftTH does take some power away, but the biggest power consumer is the very high res. Using three monitors makes the resolution huge compared to having one screen. Especially if you are using AA and AF the power needed to run the triple monitor resolution is many many times more than using just one screen.
Quote from geeman1 :PCIe bandwidth does not limit FPS with SoftTH that much.

TH2G does afford much higher frame rates than SoftTH based on the figures I've seen reported by users. I have a GTX260 and get 150 plus fps with the graphics maxed at 5040x1050. Even with seven viewports it still achieves 90 fps average, I haven't seen anyone report performance remotely comparable to that even with top end hardware when using SoftTH

So although TH2G may be pricey and limiting in what monitors you can use, you don't need the latest card to drive it to achieve good results and as for it working right out of the box I can't recommend it enough, it's a very solid solution.
Quote from Glenn67 :TH2G does afford much higher frame rates than SoftTH based on the figures I've seen reported by users. I have a GTX260 and get 150 plus fps with the graphics maxed at 5040x1050.

Are you sure you have enabled CUDA D3D surface copying method?
Quote from Glenn67 :TH2G does afford much higher frame rates than SoftTH based on the figures I've seen reported by users. I have a GTX260 and get 150 plus fps with the graphics maxed at 5040x1050. Even with seven viewports it still achieves 90 fps average, I haven't seen anyone report performance remotely comparable to that even with top end hardware when using SoftTH

Yes. SoftTH has lower frame rates because it's not as efficient and the PCIe lane limits a little. But for example with your monitors you can achieve 60fps with a PCIe 2.0 8x lane (max fps is around 67 with that res and 32 bit colors). For 30" you would need a 2.0 16x. So PCIe limits max fps, but the PCIe is not the biggest limiting factor.

I do agree that SoftTH is not the best solution. It has it's advantages, but in some aspects TH2Go is the better solution. The new Radeons are even better than TH2GO, because for the same price you get the same functionality AND a high end graphics card.
Quote from Scawen :Just to mention - please make sure you research this fully before buying any monitors, if that was your plan!

Anyway as JasonJ says, LFS does support different width side screens. From LFS's point of view any setup is OK, as long as LFS is presented with a single "surface" to draw the images on. LFS itself does not communicate with multiple graphics cards. Screen sizes may be different, provided that all side screens are the same resolution. The setting in LFS allows you to specify main screen width and side screen width. You can see the settings in LFS if you make a very wide and low window, and specify one or more side monitors.

Just a note: The different side screen width's don't really work when you are using a stretched setup with two screens where one of the screens is a different width. At least with the ATI drivers, when the screens are combined, they are assumed to be of equal width. I had a 1680 wide screen working with a 1280 regular screen. The view port side width does work, but doesn't help any because only the 'equal' setting put the view port edge on the bezels of the monitors. If you moved the setting, the view port edge would just slide onto one monitor or the other.

I suspect this has mostly to do with stretching the view onto two monitors and how the ATI drivers worked. I doubt it has to do with the implementation in LFS. BTW, the newer ATI drivers will allow a much higher resolution level for stretched dual monitor setups. I had to get these drives when I got a second 1680 wide monitor to make it work properly. I now use something like 3200x1050 resolution running at about 60fps with an ATI x1950 Pro card.

Or, it could be that I am totally misunderstanding how some of this should work. Either way, it is working well for me now and it is a wonderful new feature.

For any of you out there thinking about a second monitor, look for one that is the exact same physical size, pixel pitch, and resolution. It would be best to get the exact same monitors. Matching colors and gamma on two different monitor types is a nasty and time consuming thing to do if you don't have the professional tools.
Im not sure if this is a patch problem, but a short while after i patched LFS, my view after cockpit view faces backwards on all cars. I havnt changed settings in the Options>View section, and it still says rotation: 0 degrees. I have to drag it to -180 degrees to make it face forward, but this causes the screen to rotate around when i change the view from cockpit to that view.

(The view i am talking about is the one where by default you see wheels facing forward.
With this new patch it's now possible to look backwards when both Look Left and Look Right are pressed together. Perhaps something is making those keys pressed together?

Maybe as a test, just try installing LFS Z into a new folder somewhere else and patching it to Z25 see if the default version still has this issue. You might have something messed up in your working version.
Anyone else getting some epic loss of LOD at some points when racing? I noticed it just now on the DD server, it would suddenly go from normal [which is about 50% on the sliders] to basically 0 for no reason whilst racing.

I didn't get the really obvious shots, but a couple of the attached are taken basically right after another, check the chat on bottom left and the "lap" times on top right. One is clearly better detail than the other [excuse the crap jpeg compression - both are compressed the same]
Attached images
lfs_00000168.jpg
lfs_00000169.jpg
Quote from J@tko :Anyone else getting some epic loss of LOD at some points when racing? I noticed it just now on the DD server, it would suddenly go from normal [which is about 50% on the sliders] to basically 0 for no reason whilst racing.

I didn't get the really obvious shots, but a couple of the attached are taken basically right after another, check the chat on bottom left and the "lap" times on top right. One is clearly better detail than the other [excuse the crap jpeg compression - both are compressed the same]

There's something like "Track LOD reduction" in Options > Misc AFAIK.
Quote from Shadowww :There's something like "Track LOD reduction" in Options > Misc AFAIK.

Dynamic LOD Reduction? Set at 0
I just let LFS update to Z25, the framerate is the same but now I notice stuttering (looks like a frame skip of 1, at ~200 fps minimum) and it is annoying me to hell What is going on here? NOTHING has changed other than this, and just minutes before I updated it (SP mode) it was running just fine
Quote from JasonJ :With this new patch it's now possible to look backwards when both Look Left and Look Right are pressed together. Perhaps something is making those keys pressed together?

Maybe as a test, just try installing LFS Z into a new folder somewhere else and patching it to Z25 see if the default version still has this issue. You might have something messed up in your working version.

I dont see what could affect this. I have not edited any files of LFS. The only thing i did before it happened with LFS is Place a Rev Limiter Mod in the folder (Still works, and had a few days before this view problem started)

I didnt go online for a while since the patch, and i have a feeling i first came across this when i first went into a server since the patch. Could mean something?
Quote from NL_RevZ : (looks like a frame skip of 1, at ~200 fps minimum) and it is annoying me to hell What is going on here?

Your frame rate is too high, that is whats going on
Quote from Scawen :That is an interesting problem.

It sounds like something that could be solved. I think it would be best to ask on the Z25 patch thread. In fact your problem is not related to connecting with the master server - I think you are able to connect to the master, which sends you the initial list of host IP addresses and ports, which your LFS then tries to communicate with to produce the list you see.

Here is the link to the Z25 thread, maybe you should post over there and say which firewall you are using. Maybe there's a way to allow LFS to send and receive UDP packets.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=62790

Ok like Scawen said in that other thread I´m reporting the problem here. Me too have this problem that I can connect to the Master Server but most of the servers won´t reply in the server list (around 400 to 500 from 600). I have this problem since a month (must have been since patch Z19 or 20, but doesn´t seem to be related to the test patch, it occurs also on stock Z). Now I see more and more people having this problem here on the forum so I thought, let´s report it.

I tried on 3 different computers, dual boot systems (2x Win XP, 1x Win Vista and 3x on Ubuntu Linux, 2x 9.10 and 1x 9.04) once with Router and Modem Firewall on and once with both of them off, still always the same results. Is there anything I can do to help resolve this or is it my ISP?
This thread is closed

Live for Speed S2, version Z25
(420 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG