The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z18 (online compatible)
(255 posts, closed, started )
Hi Scawen.
While you're at it, would you mind taking into consideration (or just add it in your to-do list) my suggestion to save the last used setup for each combo ?
So every time you go back to a specific combo, you find it already selected ??
I tried to find my post (I'm quite sure I already asked this) but couldn't find it...
Thanks.
Scawen, did you notice this post?
Quote from avih :At the mirror (tested virtual only), in "Name over cars" mode, the name only appears when the car behind is really REALLY close. On earlier versions I was able to tell the names over at least several cars behind (all LOD settings at max details), but now it's practically useless... as in.. 98% of the time the cars are just too far behind (I'd say 0.5s is enough) to display it..

Quote from avih :Scawen, did you notice this post?

I do read every post and make notes.

What you will notice is that I do not also write "Hello, I've noticed your post" to every post I notice. Because that would mean I would waste time writing it on my notes and also on the forum, and also I'd look kind of silly saying "Hi, I noticed your post!" every time there is a bug report.

I make notes about all relevant points that I should look into. I reply to specific bug reports if I need more information before fixing them.
Quote from Scawen :I do read every post and make notes.

What you will notice is that I do not also write "Hello, I've noticed your post" to every post I notice. Because that would mean I would waste time writing it on my notes and also on the forum, and also I'd look kind of silly saying "Hi, I noticed your post!" every time there is a bug report.

I make notes about all relevant points that I should look into. I reply to specific bug reports if I need more information before fixing them.

lmao well said mate!
There is something that i've notices is that you can not reset when outside the map. Atleast i cant. I get specced if canreset no. but when its yes, and i am out of bounce i never come back to track.
Quote from Scawen :I do read every post and make notes.

No need for sarcasm. The discussion moved to other topics and I was afraid the comment went "lost". A simple noted/thanks/etc would have been enough.
first of all thanks for the excellent new triple screen rendering and adjustments, works flawless for me!
one little thing tho, when i set the number of monitors (left or right) from 1 back to 0, the screen moves to the side and i cant make changes any more. after some digging i found that deleting views.bin set things back to normal.
using softTH.
Quote from avih :No need for sarcasm. The discussion moved to other topics and I was afraid the comment went "lost". A simple noted/thanks/etc would have been enough.

Think he was being completely genuine. I think Joseph saw something in the post which wasn't there.

Question regarding driver name in mirror

What changed? Or did you do nothing specific but it is a consequence of something else. I thought it was something to do with the new mirror LOD but playing around with that doesn't seem to affect it.
sorry for this, but I don't understand this improvement "Option to force external views to use full width", anyone to explain please?
Quote from Ripley :Hi Scawen.
While you're at it, would you mind taking into consideration (or just add it in your to-do list) my suggestion to save the last used setup for each combo ?
So every time you go back to a specific combo, you find it already selected ??

I think you can sort the setup list by date.
Quote from alliennas :sorry for this, but I don't understand this improvement "Option to force external views to use full width", anyone to explain please?

When Scawen implemented the new multimonitor support, he also made it so that external views (Shift-U, etc.) only display stuff on the "middle" monitor. Apparently there are people who do want the whole screen width to be used and this option controls whether the view in external modes is limited or not.
Quote from AndroidXP :When Scawen implemented the new multimonitor support, he also made it so that external views (Shift-U, etc.) only display stuff on the "middle" monitor. Apparently there are people who do want the whole screen width to be used and this option controls whether the view in external modes is limited or not.

great, thx
Quote from Velo Wringer :when i set the number of monitors (left or right) from 1 back to 0, the screen moves to the side and i cant make changes any more. after some digging i found that deleting views.bin set things back to normal.
using softTH.

Aha, I think this is the issue I've been having. If you don't delete that file, what happens if you just repeatedly mash the left and right mouse buttons instead of just single clicking? That seems to get it to work for me.
just tried that (even have 2 mice attached lol), but no response whatsoever, also blind click and enter 1 doesnt work. so you can really get stuck there ....
Quote from Flame CZE :I think you can sort the setup list by date.

Yes you can, but whenever you change car, "default" set is chosen.
And even if you sort them by date, that doesn't mean you get the right one at the top (if you didn't edit it).
Anyway, even if it's a simple implementation, sure it's not a top priority fix for Scawen.
Thanks, thanks, and more thanks
Just wanted to say thanks for the triple screen support. I've been using SoftTH and three 19" monitors for a while but it's never looked this good. z18 really allows me to line things up for a realistic view. I've found that by nosing my car directly into a straight wall or fence I can adjust the left and right monitors so that the alignment is spot on. Excellent work!

HuckD
Albany, GA USA
Quote from avih :No need for sarcasm. The discussion moved to other topics and I was afraid the comment went "lost". A simple noted/thanks/etc would have been enough.

It wasn't really sarcasm. That thing you did (asking me if I noticed something on this same thread - it is still there on the previous page) happens quite often but is quite annoying. So I don't know what do do but explain to you how I work and why I don't reply to every bug report / repeated bug report / feature request etc. If I explain this occasionally then maybe other people who want to repeat their post will think again. I'm trying to work efficiently using a thread that gets full of duplicate bug reports and some spam. The way to do it is to make notes as I go, rather than using the thread itself as a to-do list (tried that before and it was hopeless). Experience working with these test patch threads told me to write down the bug reports as I go, asking immediately if something is not clear. Later I go through my list, try to reproduce all the issues and see what I can do. Sometimes it is quite tedious work. All I really want to do is get back to development, but I will not if there are bugs in test patches. There is no need for me to say "noted" to each post. They are all noted if they are relevant.

About the mirror thing, it is noted but I have not investigated yet. When I get to it, I'll either fix it, or come back to ask a question if I need more info. That's how I use the test patch threads.

Quote from Velo Wringer :first of all thanks for the excellent new triple screen rendering and adjustments, works flawless for me!
one little thing tho, when i set the number of monitors (left or right) from 1 back to 0, the screen moves to the side and i cant make changes any more. after some digging i found that deleting views.bin set things back to normal.
using softTH.

I'm not quite clear here... views.bin is only loaded once, when LFS starts. Deleting it while LFS is running can have no effect, so that implies you had to delete it after exiting LFS. Is that what you did? If so then that means, if you don't delete that file, you can actually start LFS and already the mouse buttons are not clickable?

I remember Bob Smith said that the buttons were actually clickable, meaning they made a sound and changed colour, only problem was they did not do anything. Is that the same?

A lot of questions there but it's a puzzling issue...

Quote from alliennas :sorry for this, but I don't understand this improvement "Option to force external views to use full width", anyone to explain please?

The meaning of that has been explained to you now but I'll just add one thing :

That option only appears when it would actually have an effect - for example if your window is wider than 16:9 and you are looking at View Options when you are in an external view.
exactly, i deleted views.bin after exiting. and true, without deleting buttons not clickable after restart. and same as Bob, they make sound and change color.

it might have to do with softTH screen coords that suddenly changed after changing the setting. i wonder if its the same probs with TH2GO?

i will try some different settings in softTH and see if that makes a difference.
Quote from HuckD :Just wanted to say thanks for the triple screen support. I've been using SoftTH and three 19" monitors for a while but it's never looked this good. z18 really allows me to line things up for a realistic view. I've found that by nosing my car directly into a straight wall or fence I can adjust the left and right monitors so that the alignment is spot on. Excellent work!

HuckD
Albany, GA USA

Thanks I'd just like to add some tips. Hopefully this gives the same results as your method :

Screen angle : should be set to the actual angle between monitors (zero means they are in a straight line). Easy if you have a protractor.

Bezel compensation : if you measure the width of your bezel, and multiply by 2 so you have the combined bezel width of a monitor, then divide by the total width of a monitor, this should give the correct value. So that percentage is the fraction of your total monitor width that is taken up by bezels.
Quote from Velo Wringer :exactly, i deleted views.bin after exiting. and true, without deleting buttons not clickable after restart. and same as Bob, they make sound and change color.

it might have to do with softTH screen coords that suddenly changed after changing the setting. i wonder if its the same probs with TH2GO?

LFS does already do a certain correction when some coordinates get changed, for example if you put LFS into a window from full screen, LFS tries to make a wide window, but the drivers of Windows or SoftTH force the window to the centre screen. Before that fix there was a very bad effect. Now at least that should be working correctly, if LFS graphics do appear to be aligned correctly in your window and not squashed.

The bizarre thing about your bug is that LFS seems to correctly and accurately notice the mouse click but the mouse release has no effect. Seems like maybe the mouse release looks to LFS like it is in a different place (as when it is working correctly, you can click and if you move the mouse off the button before releasing, the button's function is not executed).
Quote from Scawen :It wasn't really sarcasm. That thing you did (asking me if I noticed something on this same thread - it is still there on the previous page) happens quite often but is quite annoying. So I don't know what do do but explain to you how I work and why I don't reply to every bug report / repeated bug report / feature request etc. If I explain this occasionally then maybe other people who want to repeat their post will think again. I'm trying to work efficiently using a thread that gets full of duplicate bug reports and some spam. The way to do it is to make notes as I go, rather than using the thread itself as a to-do list (tried that before and it was hopeless). Experience working with these test patch threads told me to write down the bug reports as I go, asking immediately if something is not clear. Later I go through my list, try to reproduce all the issues and see what I can do. Sometimes it is quite tedious work. All I really want to do is get back to development, but I will not if there are bugs in test patches. There is no need for me to say "noted" to each post. They are all noted if they are relevant.

Fair enough. I do understand and appreciate your efforts in listening to users and managing bugs, I'm a developer/maintainer of several projects too and so I happen to be in a similar position often.

I understand it's tedious to see bugs re-submitted, especially by the same eager user (the latter could probably be eliminated with my previous suggestion), but people still like feedback, even minimal, and so I also offer a possible solution:

Do you think it would be possible to keep a locked thread listing your current *public* checklist/buglist regarding the currently discussed release (and possibly open bugs/issues from previous releases too)? This way people wouldn't have to wade through hundreds of posts (as was in Z15 and others) before they post a bug, and I imagine it would also help reduce resubmissions in general and will make everyone happier.. less posts, more order, etc...

Even better, if you use a bug tracking system, you can occasionally export such report (possibly manually removing entries not for public consumption) and thus you wouldn't even have to manage this locked thread manually.. export, copy, done. Or even do so automatically periodically..

Anyway, just my $0.02
Quote from Scawen :Just wondering... how many screens are you using with your Eyefinity? I'd be very interested to see a picture of a setup with more than 3 monitors.

Not with Eyefinity just TH2G and fourth monitor on second video output of a nvidia GTX260+, looks great but kills my FPS and have only been able to get it too work in windowed mode so far.
Attached images
Picture copy.jpg
Quote from Not Sure :I have had no problems with the patch, everything works as advertised

Scawen, since you have been improving the view settings code, consider adding this option?: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=37537

No need to reply

Yes, someone made a post about that in the previous test patch and I like the look of that. I'm quite interested in having a go at some time but it would take a little while to get it right. Because it's not just a simple option which keeps the camera level to the ground (imagine that when the car goes upside down or up a steep hill). When you think about it, it needs many of the options provided in that InSim / OutSim program and ends up being a few days work and testing to get it working well in all the possible situations.

So at this time it's sitting on my notes to take a look one day when all the high priority things are done. And there are a lot of high priority things...
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z18 (online compatible)
(255 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG