The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :iMac's are for gimps, any Macintosh software is generally associated with people who think they are saving the planet, yet are, wow STILL using the SAME electricity that Windows users use? wow, strange that isn't it...

What kind of nonsense are you on about? I know I'm killing the planet by going through a 60L tank of fuel in a few days, keeping 2 or 3 computers on 24/7 (just to myself).

I think with those sorts of comments, you'd be the gimp as they make about as much sense as a drunken hobo screaming about the apocalypse and how they're listening to our thoughts.

Also (on a useful topic in case anyone else runs into this)... Updating GFX drivers made it work... Now if I can figure out how to drive is my next step.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except it's something (I think) to do with ATi drivers (SUPRISE, ATi SUCKS! ). It works perfectly on my Macbook Pro and one of the newest Macbooks.

Maybe I'll try updating some GFX drivers... Killing the 30-odd day uptime of this XP boot

Why does ATi suck? ATi drivers work fine, they just don't work that good on that crap of yours. ATi makes the bad on purpose to tease the crappy computer users.
[insert apple fanboy comment below please]
Quote from Bose321 :Why does ATi suck? ATi drivers work fine, they just don't work that good on that crap of yours. ATi makes the bad on purpose to tease the crappy computer users.
[insert apple fanboy comment below please]

Never had a problem with ATI here either tbh

Nvidia on the other hand......
Always had ATi. My experiences in the past* put me off nVidia.

*admittedly four or five PCs ago now, but I don't fancy taking the risk when I'm spending that much money.
I've had poor experiences with ATi cards dying with shitty customer support for RMA's and such... I try to avoid ATi at all cost.

Bose: I fail to see how it's so crap. It works just fine now after I updated the drivers. 80 or so FPS with AA turned on. Keep your baiting comments to yourself.
They die for a reason, the other components are shitty. Don't blame the card...
Quote from Bose321 :They die for a reason, the other components are shitty. Don't blame the card...

Yeah, I'd agree. The several ATi cards that I've used in PC's have died which by default would make the other components awfully shitty (and it wasn't even low-end hardware at the time).

You just reinforced my point regarding PC's. Good job
Been playing this all evening since I got back from real racing car work, and...

It's fantastic! Okay, so the 1600 understeers initially, but that's easily solved with roll bars and 30 seconds. Okay, the 2000 snaps into oversteer on some of the steeper curbs at Prato, but that's mostly the driver's fault for using them. And sure, in 2nd gear it's a smidgen (but only a smidgen) too difficult to spin the wheels in the 2000 and Target.

But it's the closest I've felt to my Dallara, and for that it deserves praise!

However, note that I've probably only done 50 laps in a sim I'm not that used to yet. So please don't start telling everyone I'm converted, or that I've claimed it to be 'totally realistic' or any other such nonsense. I'd like a bit of time to play it some more, and play with the setups (which I notice still aren't quite right with ride height and preload).

The flatspots are subtle but there. Lovely. The understeer feels great (though not quite perfect in my opinion - it's a little too light, but only a little). Slides are catchable (they didn't used to be for me), and the cars that should feel they're on rails, to an extend, actually do.

To get the sound to work I had to disable 5.1 in Control Panel. And does the pitboard ever do anything? And is the Target gear ratio bug (changing 6th not working) still there, or is it my imagination? And why do none of the speed estimates (top speed or speed in gear) never seem to be close to what happens on track?

I'll do some more lappery over the coming days/weeks, and revise my opinion later.

I don't claim to be quick (as I said, I've barely played this sim in the last few years really), but I was quite pleased with high 25's at Prato in the 2000 for a first evenings practice. Once I've got the setup a bit better there are whole seconds to be found I'm sure, and I already know where some of them will be found.

Anyway, I was very impressed. I think it would benefit from some AA/AF, but I haven't yet... Oh, and I don't feel rock hard tyres, or silly FFB strengths

From my limited play time this feels far more like a real slicks/wings single seater than iRacing managed, to me anyway!!
That's nonsense, they don't just die, usualy somethng is wrong with the mainboard or whatever.
altough I had 4 nvidia's, all died. and then switched to ATi, still working.
Tristan: I need setup for F1600 . I am utterly useless with car setups (mind you, I haven't really tried). However from what I've seen others drive, it does seem to do better when you set it up to use induced understeer for speed (a la iRacing).

I had a great 5 laps earlier online (until I stuffed it into another driver thinking I was past then into a wall) playing 1.03. It was the most intense race I've had in a while. Trading positions and seconds for 5 laps solid. I loved it. I can't wait for my full payment to clear.

Bose: You're being awfully silly. Components fail for a variety of reasons. Trying to put it off of the card makes you seem like you're a bit defensive over ATi. Nonsense would be your explanation that it's the mainboard or something else. Hardware fails, especially when large amounts of electricity is being put through a component.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :.

Bose: You're being awfully silly. Components fail for a variety of reasons. Trying to put it off of the card makes you seem like you're a bit defensive over ATi. Nonsense would be your explanation that it's the mainboard or something else. Hardware fails, especially when large amounts of electricity is being put through a component.

Then it begs the first question, why get a shitty rig?
Can you take your silly hardware arguments elsewhere pls.

Tristan.. glad you're having fun with it. It does feel pretty bloody good.
Quote from The Moose :Can you take your silly hardware arguments elsewhere pls.

Tristan.. glad you're having fun with it. It does feel pretty bloody good.

I didn't start it. I simply said that it didn't work on my machine, then a driver update fixed it. They however didn't acknowledge this and decided to pick apart everything I say... as usual.

On topic: NKP is great (well, I always did like it... but the dev support put me off...). The physics feel good, and the FFB is nice as well. I just need a bit more time with it (and will have the full NKP by Monday as well).

I just need to get a bit more experience with setting a car up (or DL them). I'll end up sticking to the F1600 though for a bit, as it seems a bit easier so far (and I historically suck with downforce cars).

Blueflame: I was forced into ATi in this situation, but I never will again, as Apple actually got some brains and made everything nVidia
This feels a lot different from the previous version.......better!

quite happy with everything except when the tires slide, they feel a bit too solid.
But definitely worth the price eh......gonna buy it as all LFS server near becomes drift servers or cruise servers.
My 1600 set so far (which was amassed in a huge 10 lap test session at Crema) was purely gear ratios for the main straight, stiffening the rear roll bar and softening the front. I can't remember by how much, but quite a lot. I won't and cannot claim that it's a 'great' setup I didn't go anything to camber, caster, spring rates, ride heights etc. Although I did turn up the FF Gain a bit, as I found some of the cars, notably the 2000, to be horribly weak by default.

Stuart - which car did you say you thought had concrete tyres? Do you still have that feeling, or was it just getting used to a new tyre model?
In a moment of great sadness I bought NKP.

Love it so far! I need to train a little before going online
Here's my beta 1.1 v1 FF1600 set for Prato short (1.25.79)

Quote from tristancliffe :Stuart - which car did you say you thought had concrete tyres? Do you still have that feeling, or was it just getting used to a new tyre model?

Partly the new tyre model, but its a bit odd really...It's the FF1600 i have a problem with, but mostly at Aviano. hit the sawtooth curbs there and it rattles my wheel like no other sim. It's as if there is no damping from the tyres at all, making them feel like solid rubber. It doesn't seem so bad at Prato.

I'll go and test at Monaco...see how it copes with the bumps there...

EDIT..seems fine there. I guess i'll just have to get used to it..and stay off the sawtooth curbs!
Attached files
Moose_Prato_v2.rar - 433 B - 122 views
I gave it some more time tonight and...

Quote from MR_B :
The FFB thing, are you using exactly the same ffb settings? I've not noticed that problem, might be because I don't turn too much.

I reset my the FF settings in the Logitech Profiler and problem solved! The sensation through the wheel is definitely is a lot more intense now. Feels great! The FF on curbs (Prato) is quite violent. Perhaps not unreasonable so.

Quote from The Moose :Here's my beta 1.1 v1 FF1600 set for Prato short (1.25.79)

There we go! Now this is more like it! Night and day different between this and the sluggish default set. The car feels a lot more alive than in 1.03. Thanks for posting, Moose.

Still, I'm having issues with 90 degree slides (not drifting, but the I-made-a-mistake type.) Seems like they're too easy to catch. Release the gas, full lock into the slide, and conveniently right around 90 degrees is when the car will stop rotating and start recovering.

Catching in something like the FBM in LFS is hard work and takes quick action on the wheel... what does the F2000 feel like in a slide?

Was it DaveWS that had some problems with oversteer in 1.03? The expectation that the car is settled and the oversteer event is over, but then a fraction of a second later it gives an extra kick in the opposite direction. I felt some of that happening today whereas I didn't in 1.03.

With the discount I might have to buy a license.
I used to have those 90° slides in 1.03 Mattesa. It was very odd. But nobody else seemed to. Now they've gone for me, but you seem to have them. Perhaps only one person at a time is infected, and currently you're 'it'!

I had more of a play last night, and concentrated on the Target. I'm not sure what I did, but I ruined it. I think I lowered the ride height, and then got the hard tyre effect Stuart was talking about - but I think now it was the car bottoming (with no noise?). Raising the car helped in the end, but by then I'd messed up all the other settings, and didn't manage to get back to too much sense before I switched off and went to bed.

I'll probably download some sets others have made eventually.

I found lots of replay bugs. First my rear tyre was shown as damaged before (in the replay) I actually hit anything, and then I started a session with no wings, even though I had them at that point when I was driving. So something is going wrong in replays.

I don't like the 'auto-start' feature. I turn off auto-clutch, but if the revs drop a bit low the starter sound plays. But I didn't actually stall. I'd much rather have control over the starter myself.

Forcing AA/AF make it look a lot nicer.
Quote from tristancliffe :I found lots of replay bugs. First my rear tyre was shown as damaged before (in the replay) I actually hit anything, and then I started a session with no wings, even though I had them at that point when I was driving. So something is going wrong in replays.

Yup, it seems that any damage you get during a session seems to show itself from the start of the replays. Reported.

Quote from tristancliffe :I don't like the 'auto-start' feature. I turn off auto-clutch, but if the revs drop a bit low the starter sound plays. But I didn't actually stall. I'd much rather have control over the starter myself.

Yeah, i hate that auto start shit..I'll certainly be requesting that it goes back to the way it was in previous versions

Quote from tristancliffe :Forcing AA/AF make it look a lot nicer.

Well, there's a surprise!
*me still patiently waits until monday for my paypal payment to clear so I can actually activate my NKP*

Quote from tristancliffe :I used to have those 90° slides in 1.03 Mattesa. It was very odd. But nobody else seemed to. Now they've gone for me, but you seem to have them. Perhaps only one person at a time is infected, and currently you're 'it'!

I really wouldn't mind (in fact I'd prefer it) if it was just my imagination/driver induced/situational. It'd be great to if we we're able to find out definitively that there's "there's nothing wrong.". But wasn't the 90 degree thing explicitly mentioned as a fix?

Let me dig...
for a few days I am speculating about buying a license, one thing that worries me is the lack of online activity, is it just the demo server or there aren't really that much active NKP racers online?

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG