The online racing simulator
Quote from Xaid0n :Just done a quote for myself on that car (2005 model) and I got a quote back for £1952 (monthly) or £1807 (outright)

Amended the quote to say I had my licence 1 year with 1 year no claim, it's now quoted £1135/£91.12pm (monthly) or £1,051 (outright)

I'm glad I'm waiting a year with my mums car before I purchase my own... darn rip off >_<

Holy crap. That is a lot. Who'd have thunked it that a kia would cost so much to insure. Most likely cause it is a 1.5 and is turbo charged
No, it's because it's Korean. 1.5 doesn't automatically make it expensive - I can get a 2L Volvo insured cheaper than my 1.5L.
Quote from Jakg :No, it's because it's Korean. 1.5 doesn't automatically make it expensive - I can get a 2L Volvo insured cheaper than my 1.5L.

Well you're right about that >_< done a quote on a 1996 2.0 litre 460 SE - £1100 full comp - £1400 tpft... Cheaper than the Korean junk :o
Quote from Jakg :No, it's because it's Korean.

and beacause it will inevitably fall apart as you drive past a kindergarden killing every 5 year old child inside
Quote from Xaid0n :Just done a quote for myself on that car (2005 model) and I got a quote back for £1952 (monthly) or £1807 (outright)

Amended the quote to say I had my licence 1 year with 1 year no claim, it's now quoted £1135/£91.12pm (monthly) or £1,051 (outright)

I'm glad I'm waiting a year with my mums car before I purchase my own... darn rip off >_<

Quite interesting that it drops by so much, if I had kept my golf my quote went from £750 to £690 with my first years no claims.

I allways heard that the first year drops it by around 30%, but for me it's more like 10%....

For a ZR i'm being charged £66 for my last 2 months on the policy, which is ontop of the £750 I paid outright, brings it up to about 1k, we'll see how much it drops with my 1 years no claims, if it doesn't fall much, bye bye ZR.
Bawbag... How do you find the ZR? Do you have the 1.4 or 1.8?

I really don't know which car to go for lol.

I think I may go for the ZR. I have read reviews on them that their handling isn't great. Just wanted to check with someone who owns one.
@ Bawbag: Well it all depends on who you go for, for me personally directline seem to be the only company that will insure me (and the cheapest too) outside of the insurance search engines....

Quotes on my mums KA (mum is main driver - 3 years licence + NCB) and im the added driver.... around £70 per month/£750-£800 per year.... Hopefully I can get a year NCB from it and buy myself a car next year and use my pass plus, looking for anything up to a 1.5/6 really, will see when the time gets here
I havn't drove mine yet It's getting painted on Monday so I should have it on the road by Thursday or Friday, but I have drove my mates one, 1.4, I like them, handling is far better than than my Golf and the corsa (both had standard suspensions) but I havn't tried it for comfort. I do pleanty of motorway journeys so i'll give a comparison from the golf to the ZR then. Though the Golf is comfy and quiet as hell so it's allways gunna win when it comes to comfort...

Have you tried a quote on a 1.4 golf? Group 4 insurance, mega comfy, not the slowest, ideal first car imo.

Edit : I kinda have some bad blood with Direct line, on my second years insurance with my Corsa I was a named driver, it was only £220 a year, when I sold the car I phoned up to cancel the policy the woman on the phone asked who I was in relation to the policy holder, I replied i'm her son, she said, but this is a husband and wife policy.... :S She then went on to tell me that husband and wife policys have a discount, which when taken off put the policy up to £500 and claimed that I had to pay the differnce even though I was phoning to cancel the policy.

It was all done over the phone and was a mistake at their end, I never even knew that being husband and wife would or even should have a differnce on the policy, especcially since the details of both drivers are the same. Regardless, I didn't pay that, they claimed that they would retrieve the money throgh the courts, it's been nearly a year now with no word.
Yup for some reason Husband + Wife (Spouse) policies are cheaper, which is darn annoying lol... Directline haven't been that bad to be honest with you, their only mistake they made was making mums policy third party when she wanted it full comp, they soon corrected their mistake though.
Man, insane insurance prices there.
I paid around 250 pounds (with the current rates) first year for my '90 3.8 supercharged V6 Thunderbird when I was 19. And it was on my name Another reason why not to move to the UK
Quote from RevengeR :Man, insane insurance prices there.
I paid around 250 pounds (with the current rates) first year for my '90 3.8 supercharged V6 Thunderbird when I was 19. And it was on my name Another reason why not to move to the UK

It's good that the insurance is the way it is in the UK as it stops 17yr olds buying stupidly powerful cars. Although there is a good side of it, also there is a terrible bad side to it, which is the price of the premiums.
Just tried to get another quote for my Jetta 1.3 LX, can anyone guess what the quote was per year? I bet you can't ..... :P
Quote from sam93 :Obviously I don't want the car to stay solid in a crash. I meant that I've heard from someone that if you're in a crash in one, they crumple badly compared to other cars.

The car is over 13 years old! What do you expect!
Quote from BlueFlame :Just tried to get another quote for my Jetta 1.3 LX, can anyone guess what the quote was per year? I bet you can't ..... :P

£190 Fully comp?

SD.
#516 - ssm
Idk what the legal minimum for insurance policies in the UK are, but in the US, all you need legally is liability. As in: you only pay for damage to other people's properties.

I have been through a bunch of cars even though I am currently 18. I would recommend you go out and get a real clunker for a first car to learn manual and learn to drive without many luxury items, driving aids, or performance.

Then, when you step into a modern car, you will be a much better driver, as you were used to a car with much shittier handling (I used a 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed wagon, I think that's a Mazda 323 or Ford Lazer wagon in Europe).

I just sold a lot of my stuff (including my Miata and 740 turbo wagon) and working hard to pay off this brand spanking new Jetta TDI wagon! (my daddy helped me a bit with the down payment too)

It's pretty much the only diesel car sold in America with a manual transmission. And I love wagons, so yeah.

Just wondering, why the frick is the 335d wagon sold in America?! and why is the 335d sedan only available in auto?
WTF, I've discovered what seems to be right that near christmas, insurance prices seem to go up! Hope they have gone back down to normal prices when I go to get a cat lol.

I've been looking at nippy, good handling cars. What I was wondering is that does anyone know if the 106 is as good handling car as what 205 is?

The cars I've been looking at lately are:
205 1.6 GTI - £1600 a yr TPFT - mi16 engine conversion cheap to do also which will then cause this car to kill cars like evo's in the twistys. That can only be done when insurance has gone down enough lol.
106 1.6 Rallye - £1600 a yr TPFT - Very similar to the 205 imo, just with better looks.
Old Mini Cooper 1.3 - £1300 a yr TPFT - Good little car, needs a lot to maintain the bodywork though. Also expensive to buy if you want a decentish one.
A car that can kill EVO's on the "twistys" will probarly be your last.

Your still dreaming Sam.
:banana::laola::banana_ra:bounce8::drummer::monkey::static::hippy::figuren04:boat::sheep::spam4::jedi::tempted::bananalla:dogrun::star::bannana_p:smileyrai:ufo::leb::huepfenic:woohoo:

This is the world Sam lives in!
Who cares really what are you getting? this thread is going for almost 5 months now about what are your dream cars but u cant afford. buy a 49cc motorbike! or buy a cheap car and talk with your insurance company about money.
Just stick with a 1L Corsa mate, that's all young drivers CAN get these days..
Quote from BlueFlame :Just stick with a 1L Corsa mate, that's all young drivers CAN get these days..

..in the UK.
Quote from Bawbag :A car that can kill EVO's on the "twistys" will probarly be your last.

Your still dreaming Sam.

You think I'm going to go out buy a 205 and slam a mi16 engine in it straight away? That would be a very stupid thing to do lol. If you seen, I said when the insurance is cheap enough which will be when I have enough driving experience to handle such a car. It's a 2L 160bhp engine, not going to get insured on such engine to I'm at least 19/20.

How is the cars I've listed living in the dream world?

Quote from e2mustang :Who cares really what are you getting? this thread is going for almost 5 months now about what are your dream cars but u cant afford. buy a 49cc motorbike! or buy a cheap car and talk with your insurance company about money.

I have a 49cc bike at the moment lol. I'm asking for opinions on cars I am looking at and what people think of them - Good or bad etc...

These aren't dream cars at all. How do you know if I can afford them? I have a motorbike sat outside worth about £1100-£1200 plus I work, so I probably I actually can afford them.
Quote from BlueFlame :Just stick with a 1L Corsa mate, that's all young drivers CAN get these days..

There is much difference in the price of the premium for a 1L Corsa and a 1.6 car. A 1L will be about what, £1200 a yr to insure and a 1.6 is about £1600. £400 difference for a better car. Not a bad investment in my eyes.
Cause your think you got it all planned out before you've even got it for every car. Like "First im going to do this but only when insurance is cheap but i don't really like that engine anymore so i might stick a lawnmower engine in there, i heard they are realiable and cheap to run but not enough bhp so i might put a Veyron engine in there, then im going to put it on stilts so i can walk underneath it when i have passed my GCSE for walking under cars with a cowboy hat on". It almost stfu worthy.
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG