The online racing simulator
Quote from ajp71 :There's an example of a far worse danger on a track that caused a near identical crash 12 years after the danger was first graphically highlighted.

I think that's the real outrageous thing. The excuse given was that the track is too small to allow tunnel access for the transports. Me answer; park them in the parking lot outside the circuit then, you numpty. Having that brake in the wall right at the exit of the corner is just stupid.
#53 - DeKo
Quote from lizardfolk :Ummm...the outside wall can be dangerous as well. I mean look at Meira's broken vertebrae from the recent Indy 500. Also, lets not forget about the many drivers who have lost their lives at Daytona or Indy for hitting the outside wall head on (and these aren't the only tracks with fatalities). Just the brutal nature of the oval.

As for banning all oval...well...your statement is a very crude generalization of ovals. I'm sure no one has ever died from hitting the inside wall of short ovals like Bristol or Martinsville.

But of course, a death on one oval is hardly a warrant for closing all ovals. After all Imola is still used after Ratzenberger and Senna's death...

with loads of chicanes installed, using that logic, lets put chicanes on the ovals
Quote from Intrepid :The FIA has ZERO power to ban any racing on any circuits.

They could refuse a circuit licence, but there are limits on how much it would affect NASCAR. A recent FIA licence issue caused Donington to nearly lose a BTCC round.

SAFER barriers are good at slowing impacts, they should be required at all ovals of all lengths worldwide ... if a circuit can't afford them, just shut down. They won't work all the time, though.
Quote from duke_toaster :They could refuse a circuit licence, but there are limits on how much it would affect NASCAR. A recent FIA licence issue caused Donington to nearly lose a BTCC round.

They can't stop racing at Donington. They can not give a licence for it to run FIA sanctioned events be that MSA etc... but they can't stop racing at any circuit.

I can build a circuit tomorrow, get the adequate insurance, and tell the FIA to F8CK OFF.

All i know they COULD do is threaten to take away FIA licences from competitors who choose to race on my circuit. They tried to do this to Luizzi and Speed when they entered an American kart race!
Link for that? Sounds about right >.>

Bring back the 60s, drivers driving what they want, when they want. (Can-Am, case in point)

Although, with your track/Donington example, what's stopping you holding unlicensed racing on a track, or forming your own governing body?

@Duke: That'd put many smaller ovals (e.g. dirt ones) out of business and narrow down the talent pool for our friends across the Pond.
As someone pointed out, yes it was a Brazilian driver Rafael Sperafico that tragically died in Interlagos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F22ZuPzogxU
After going out of the track on the last turn, he hit the wall and was launched back spinning at the track, thats when Renato Russo's car hit him at about 200km/h at the driver's side.
That is the strongest crash ever in that category...

What i see when i watch both videos (Carlos Pardo and Rafael Sperafico) is that both cars disintegrate almost the same way.

PS: Rafael Sperafico died instantly, while i belive Carlos Pardo died minutes after.

And about the FIA, i know that they can't ban the circuits, but they can NOT allow the circuit to host a specific racing category. Every year (or every 6 months i think) they send engineers to the tracks to check for security and other things, after the review, they will determine if the track is able to host any kind of race. (correct me if im wrong)
Quote from Calvinaquino :And about the FIA, i know that they can't ban the circuits, but they can NOT allow the circuit to host a specific racing category. Every year (or every 6 months i think) they send engineers to the tracks to check for security and other things, after the review, they will determine if the track is able to host any kind of race. (correct me if im wrong)

The FIA will assign a grade (in the form of preset levels, like a grade 1 can hold F1 races, Grade 2 circuits anything up to GP2, etc) as I understand it.
Quote from TagForce :The irony is that his injuries resulting from the crash itself weren't that serious. A broken rib, and some minor bruises. The serious condition he was in (he's expected to make a full recovery) was a result of inhaling the chemicals used in the fire extinguisher that was used to put out the fire in his car. Or so I understand.

*I'm assuming that you have made a true statement here*

The chemical that is most typically used is Halon. The way it works is by displacing oxygen. Fire won't burn without oxygen. Unfortunately, humans have trouble breathing without the stuff, too. There are other issues with its use, but the downsides are outweighed by it's fire suppressing ability. I installed a Halon system in my track car a year or so ago. Thank GOD, I never had to use it. It's effective, and has no clean up after use (it's a gas, unlike foam based products that are corrosive to metals).
Okey... well I think, that the one who placed that berrier shoud get beaten up... seriously, if I viewed the video right, that was one of the moveable barriers, wich seperates the oval from the road course. I think, it would have been more like a accident on dover's backstreach when the wall wasn't angled. The general problem of Puebla's oval is the fact, that it has got very long straights and tight turns... Additionally because of this WTCC roadcourse, they don't have the room to place the walls safer... maybe Tilke should put some effort into this, then it would be safer though much more boring...

Anyways... Rest in peace...
Does the FIA even have any jurisdiction over NASCAR Mexico?
#62 - DeKo
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Does the FIA even have any jurisdiction over NASCAR Mexico?

not at all. the OP assumes that the FIA control the world, they dont.
Quote from DeKo :not at all. the OP assumes that the FIA control the world, they dont.

not the world, but motorsport
#64 - DeKo
#65 - JJ72
NASCAR is sanctioned by you know what? NASCAR itself.

NASCAR mexico is a joint-venture between NASCAR and OCESA, also sanctioned by NASCAR.
I didn't know, one can't know everything...duh
The Video no longer works.
type

"Carlos Pardo crash"

and there you go
I watched it and it looks like a deliberate wreck, you can see the blue car is turning right to hit the winning car, after the winning car spins you see the blue car dart to the right of the track. Sick, hope he can live with what he did.
Quote from BlueFlame :I watched it and it looks like a deliberate wreck, you can see the blue car is turning right to hit the winning car, after the winning car spins you see the blue car dart to the right of the track. Sick, hope he can live with what he did.

Still isn't his fault for the drivers death, this sort of action happens alot in NASCAR racing, that and the surface was soo bumpy the car could of just hit him after losing a bit of control over a bump.

Track organisers hold 100% of the blame.
Quote from Mustafur :Still isn't his fault for the drivers death, this sort of action happens alot in NASCAR racing, that and the surface was soo bumpy the car could of just hit him after losing a bit of control over a bump.

Track organisers hold 100% of the blame.

No, I disagree, It looks like it's a strange way the car hit the wall, anything else would of bounced back into the racetrack rather than split in two.
Here is a better video IMO, it actually shows the other drivers' reactions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQpPslrsQ8

Quote from BlueFlame :No, I disagree, It looks like it's a strange way the car hit the wall, anything else would of bounced back into the racetrack rather than split in two.

It didn't bounce back because Pardo's car was almost parallel when he hit that wall. Plus it looks like that wall was almost perpendicular to the track which is never good to see especially on an oval.

I blame the wall, I have no idea why that wall was there like that
Quote from chanoman315 :His brother saw the accident, he was his teammate...

Ah I didn't know who that was so I refrained from identifying him. Ty for that clarification
The one of large hair, that walks into a big truck

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG