The online racing simulator
FIA should close Mexican Race Tracks
That there is a freak accident.
That was the bodgiest oval i have ever seen and that wall was extremely dangerous.

I dont say ban all tracks in mexico, but the race organisers should be in alot of shit for this.

FIA don't do jack they only ruin sports, if they got involed they would remove safety features as it would ''save costs.''
#4 - samjh
Be fair on the FIA. They've ruined a lot of things, but they have done much to enhance motorsport safety (partly due to pressure from prominent campaigners like J Y Stewart).

That is the craziest wall layout I've seen since the 1980s. Surely even Mexico can afford water barrels and plastic barriers? The track surface looked really rough and uneven too.
That's not a freak accident, that's just a very very dangerously placed wall, and some real bad luck.

That wall should never have been there. A child could see that a car ending up on that wall would be split in two.

The people ultimately responsible for that wall (the track organisers) should be jailed for a long time.
#6 - 5haz
Looks like Puebla to me, I remember when the WTCC had a round using the infield circuit, and there were a few dangerously placed walls then too.
Wait, what has FIA got to do with Mexican Nascar
Quote from hyntty :Wait, what has FIA got to do with Mexican Nascar

I was thinking the same thing. The FIA do not rule the world.
#9 - JJ72
people whine when FIA try to make the sport "safe" and tame, now people also whine when someone dies in motorsport.
The wall isn't the issue here, it's avoidable contact after the finish. The car behind looked like it almost deliberately spun the car behind with the way it stuck its nose in and then pulled across the track. Whilst not great it just looks like the end of a pitwall, which are rarely protected with anything substancial enough to make a real difference. The wall moving due to being a makeshift block probably disapated a lot of energy. Ultimately though nothing will protect a driver from T-boning the end of the pitwall at that speed.
I say credits to the paramedics who responded and got to the accident faster than any other accident I have ever seen. It's sad that they couldn't save the guy, but impressive response time none-the-less. Fault the track all you like, but the guys on the ground where very good.
The FIA rightly have no power to close any circuits! If someone feels a track is too dangerous then don't race there. I know there are circuits I choose not to drive on. I don't need a governing body to tell me what's safe or not safe!
Quote from ajp71 :The wall isn't the issue here, it's avoidable contact after the finish.

Not entirely true... Even in the best possible case a car would be thrown back onto the track which is also inacceptable...

I don't see why the walls have to be placed right on the edge of the track in the first place, you clearly see if there is a wreck there is no room to slow the car down before hitting something hard...
yep thats Puebla alright, not a very good track in any case whether cars use infield or oval

edit: again credit to the guys for getting on the scene almost instantly
Quote from trebor901 :
edit: again credit to the guys for getting on the scene almost instantly

Although the reason they were able to do so is also the reason the guy died. I don't know why someone would actually race on a track like that. A few people are saying it was deliberate too, if it was I hope the other driver can live with the fact that he pretty much just murdered someone.
#16 - 5haz
That wasn't after the end of the race by the looks of things, and it was also the back straight, that barrier looks to be where there is a gap in the barriers where the infield circuit joins the oval, on most ovals this gap would be sealed with a temporary barrier when the oval is in use.

Well actually, it is a temporary barrier by the looks of things, especially seeing as a lot of it was knocked out of place by the car, but it still has a gap in it which is bad, which allowed the car to hit the barrier end on instead of side on, very bad.

A similar layout of barrier was in place at Montreal back in 2008, when Kubica hit it head on and we all know what happened there, head on impacts are not as dangerous as they used to be, but as you can see side impacts are still pretty much deadly.

Rest in peace.
Quote from 5haz :That wasn't after the end of the race by the looks of things

I think you're right, don't know where I got the impression it was after the finish.

Quote :
A similar layout of barrier was in place at Montreal back in 2008, when Kubica hit it head on and we all know what happened there, head on impacts are not as dangerous as they used to be, but as you can see side impacts are still pretty much deadly.

Kubica's accident was more of a glancing blow than head on, a true head on collision into a concrete wall at those speeds would be unquestionably fatal in any current race car.
#18 - 5haz
Quote from ajp71 :Kubica's accident was more of a glancing blow than head on, a true head on collision into a concrete wall at those speeds would be unquestionably fatal in any current race car.

Yeah but it is similar in that the barrier was angled in a way that probrably made the accident worse.
Poor layout, yes. But the race organizers are completely responsible. Look to the cause of the crash to place at least part of the blame.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Although the reason they were able to do so is also the reason the guy died.

If you watch the video you will see the course car responded the moment of the accident without waiting for flags or such, the driver was clearly paying attention and just went for it the moment he saw what happened - the dust hadn't even settled, and he didn't wait for a caution - very fast decision making.

Quote :A few people are saying it was deliberate too, if it was I hope the other driver can live with the fact that he pretty much just murdered someone.

The driver died doing something he loved. If I am to die before getting altzeimers then i'd like it to be doing something I love too. Part of this sport I love is assisting other drivers to spin, not something i'm that partial too, but still it's a part of the parcel. I think if it's looked at any other way you get into a culture of blame, and for the other driver concerned i'm sure that's a moment that will haunt the rest of his life anyway without other people pointing the finger at him.

Guilt is a very difficult thing to live with and I actually feel for the other driver involved if this would affect him, as death is a part of motor racing.
I think the fault of this terrible crash is with the race organizers and not with the driver who forced him off. A racing car should never be able to t-bone a concrete barrier at such high speeds, it was a tragedy waiting to happen.
Quote from Mustafur :if they [the FIA] got involed they would remove safety features as it would ''save costs.''

Wow, what planet do you live on? Is it nice there? The FIA, for all their faults, have done more than probably any other motorsport authority to improve driver safety, and they deserve a lot of credit for that.
Quote from Mustafur :if they got involed they would remove safety features as it would ''save costs.''

eerr... my kart says otherwise!
Quote from hyntty :Wait, what has FIA got to do with Mexican Nascar

Very few racing series exist without ratifying FIA's International Sporting Code.
Hopefully he died quickly and relatively painlessly. He looked pretty still when they showed the first shot of him in the car.

But what a way to go. The car practically exploded.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG