The online racing simulator
LFS on MOTORS TV!
(79 posts, started )
Apparently some people here do not know this public file hosting service, and if you click the link for the first time, it DOES look like a stupid ad page...

downloading now
It's a good review and pretty honest in terms of flaws that we already know about (i.e. sound) :P
remember any publicity is good publicity
Quote from Mbrio :But what was that guy on about when he said the "developers should listen to the players and satisfy them by loading the game up with useless options"?

AHAHAHA thats a funny one, considering its EXACTLY the oposite. The options are there to satisfy/please players and their specific needs.
I dont know if it's sarcastic or serious.
At least I liked the review because it was not bad at all, and the driver wasnt todally dumb either
Quote from inCogNito :
PS: gunn, what's your problem? illepall

his problem was/is the same as mine. that link didnt download the file (probably isp proxy related). i know i have to wait after clicking free mode. it simply didnt do jackshit, and being bombed with ads from that page while waiting for it (assuming that if i waited over an hour i would get it) is not my idea of fun.
these ad sites, i try to avoid. thanks tweak for rehosting it.
speaking of that, greets to the mod, at least for now, for doing a discrete, non-power tripping , no-big-ego job. im impressed up to now, and i hope he doesnt turn into a timw or clones anytime soon. sobriety is the quality here.
up till now, whoever chose him, did the right decision.
#33 - J.B.
Great review! The driving wasn't even bad.

OT: I'm a little baffled that net regulars, that I assume most LFS forum posters are, can be put off by sites like rapidshare. It's a free, public, anonymous file upload service for up to 50 MB files. You don't even need to register, uploading a file needs exactly 2 browser clicks and the download speeds are fast. How can people have anything bad to say about that?
#34 - J.B.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :his problem was/is the same as mine. that link didnt download the file (probably isp proxy related). i know i have to wait after clicking free mode. it simply didnt do jackshit, and being bombed with ads from that page while waiting for it (assuming that if i waited over an hour i would get it) is not my idea of fun.
these ad sites, i try to avoid. thanks tweak for rehosting it.
speaking of that, greets to the mod, at least for now, for doing a discrete, non-power tripping , no-big-ego job. im impressed up to now, and i hope he doesnt turn into a timw or clones anytime soon. sobriety is the quality here.
up till now, whoever chose him, did the right decision.

Ah, yes, there is a download limit per hour, per IP. So if you are using an IP that is shared with lots of other users, who are using rapidshare, you will have a problem. (anonymizing proxy?)

Agree that Gunn has been doing a good job. RSC modding is a bit OTT.
typical motors tv commentating

a good review though
Quote from Mbrio :But what was that guy on about when he said the "developers should listen to the players and satisfy them by loading the game up with useless options"?

Yeah that was so puzzling, it really creases me up and the more i think about it the more i laugh!

I decided this and a couple of other strange sentences were due to this being a translation from an original written in French (no idea if that's true, it's a guess). So maybe you need to take the words and jumble them around a bit and put the word "not" in a few places, to make whatever sense of of it you want to!

Anyway a really great review, so many positives - nice to watch, and very reasonable negative points / improvement suggestions.
#37 - JJ72
Need a mirror, it doesn't download on my PC as well? :/

anyone kind enough to do so?
Yeah come on Scawen - give your audience what they want. I'd like to see fully functioning cup holders in all the touring cars please! Oh - and air con.

I suspect you're right about the translation - a lot of Motors TV content is French, and the guy reading the English translation presumably has no knowledge of the subject. This is guy is much better than the one they used to have with the "Beavis&Butthead" voice though, who used to really get on my wick by pronouncing bonnet (i.e. the lid over your engine) as "bo-nay". Presumably he thought "well it's French innit?" (or should that be "innee" ? ) I can only assume the long periods of silnce on this review are because it takes bloomin ages to say anything in French

I thought the review was pretty accurate on the whole, although they seemed to have grasped the wrong end of the stick about the skins. The main problem for LFS in any short TV review though is that the viewer is just not going to be able to grasp just what sets it aside from popular console or PC arcade type racing games in a 5 minute piece, although he did touch on the fact that you need to drive it like a real car.

One other confusing thing probably lost in translation - apparentley the LFS developers don't need to worry about "R-Factor" because the next LFS is called "LFS-S3". Erm. Righto then. I'm sure you're not worrying about R-Factor, but I doubt the name of the next release will affect anything...

I like Motors TV - it has a sort "Home made" feeling about it
if this review makes anything clear, is that the chase cam, as is in lfs atm, should be droped. this type of chase cam is lousy and makes ANYthing look fake and arcade. in fact if it was possible in real world to have this stupid elastic, reference less, soft-sluggish-in-the-void-floating cam, even real footage would look odd! i garantee u that.
i stress this since day 1 of the chase cam. code it properly (preferably fixed to car alignment and a bit closer) or just drop it.
the wheels view doesnt do lfs realism any favour either (making stuff disappear shouldnt be possible except in analyser F forces mode) but i can bare with that one since many ppl like it (well at least vykos)...
but man this chase cam is making lfs look like crap everywhere i see.
if my lfs looked like that ii would even touch it.
in fact if i didnt know lfs, and saw this exact same review in motorstv I WOULD RUN AWAY FROM THIS "STUPID SIM".
which obviously wouldnt be a correct decision, but thats what this ability to turn lfs into crap by pressing v, would lead me to.
i still have hope sc hears me and recodes the cam system according to previous constructive suggestions. its so obvious it hurts.
its like spending 5 years building a porsche-killer car, and then send it to "Top Gear" with bicycle tyres mounted as default instead of proper car tyres.
quite frustrating.
im also glad he spotted the brilliance of the lfs realtime pro UI (he didnt mention its vector, adaptable to any res from cellphones to 16:9 in huge res while maintaining quality of the scaling). A few cosmetic tweaks and a slight better grouping of some options here and there, and its done.

in case anyone needs to understand why a proper chase cam is important for a sim, check papy n2003 chasecam1, for example. no brainer, yet perfect for that view option.
This is why people that dont enjoy sim racing games, shouldnt review sim racing games. *shakes head...

We should buy this person (motors tv reviewr) a copy of r factor and let em be :P
Yea, it's always good publicity when a game gets on some TV show.. Better then nothing.. But i must say that it was all true except that confusing translated part.. Aparantly you guys don't watch Motors TV that much.. this is a typical review of the game.. with that pauses when he stop speaking for a few secunds, and just let you watch the game, which is good IMO..
Anyway, Motors TV again showed that they follow the racing games industry, and did a proper review of LFS...
It would be a dream if Tiff Needel could test it in Fifth gear, or Clarkson in Top gear.. Now, that is publicity!...
wtf are you on about kid? leave the poor chase cam alone
Quote from Boris Lozac :It would be a dream if Tiff Needel could test it in Fifth gear, or Clarkson in Top gear.. Now, that is publicity!...

With Clarkson crippled now, he did test GT4 for his Times column recently. Maybe the devs should sent him a copy of LFS
ive got a feeling that crazy girl who did the nurberbring bits will be driving the cars
Quote from Mbrio :With Clarkson crippled now, he did test GT4 for his Times column recently. Maybe the devs should sent him a copy of LFS

Devs... have you think about this.. I think it's a great idea..!
It would be a new house for each one of you, if all the people who watch Top gear would buy the game..
Quote from Scawen :

I decided this and a couple of other strange sentences were due to this being a translation from an original written in French

FWIW I saw it in french on Motors TV yesterday and it was clear that they think the devs did listen to the players and did not add useless features.
very nice review, i liked it
Nah don't let Clarkson review the game, it's only got to irk him slightly and he's gonna slate it in his usual way. Tiff would be a much better choice ONCE the physics are perfected.

Edit: Oh yeah, the review was pretty good though, I thought.
I think somebody just did a bad job of editing the copy. There are several places where the flow just did not work and there was no point to the statements.

Overall though, a nice review. It does seem a bit odd to me though. Where I work, magazines and even TV producers usually run copy (the text; what they wrote or are going to say) by us before they run it. We might not like everything they say about our products, but it will be correct on the technical aspects. We also offer suggestions on rewording things if we think it will be misunderstood or confusing. I guess this type of courtesy does not happen in the gaming world.
Please don't get to upset by this idea. Most of the items you read in a trade magazine or specialty magazines were written by the manufacturers in the first place, it is common practice.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :if this review makes anything clear, is that the chase cam, as is in lfs atm, should be droped.

i stress this since day 1 of the chase cam. code it properly (preferably fixed to car alignment and a bit closer) or just drop it.

I strongly agree with this. As it is, the "lag" built into the camera makes the cars look floaty on the video and makes it difficult to judge direction while driving. It should be locked to the car's longitudinal axis. Perhaps with options for look-steer like with the cockpit views.

LFS on MOTORS TV!
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG