The online racing simulator
Quote from Mp3 Astra :If you're really that adverse to speaking with her, get your phone out and make the ringtone play. Stop the ringtone, 'answer' the phone and looked shocked and panicked and possibly try to make a tear. Then say 'brb' or however you say 'bye' these days and make a dash for the nearest bush/bus.

Never try that, because the chances are someone will ring you while you're pretending to be talking to someone. Even more socially awkward.
Quote from 5haz :Never try that, because the chances are someone will ring you while you're pretending to be talking to someone. Even more socially awkward.

'I have a call on the other line', must be serious.
I had some weird situation...
Well I went to Hungary a few weeks ago and we overnighted in Austria. But before we went to our overnight there we did a little shopping in Germany. So in one of the store i took a shopping cart and started to look around what we needed. But I do not now if it's comming in Germany to pass a slower shoppingcart driver?

He actually did this:
Overtook me and said "Danke" (thank you). Do you guys do that in Germany lol?

Offcourse I just walked on but....it was weird
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Man this thread has almost gotten me busted browsing at work; I actually spluttered trying to hold in laughter at your story Mike

I actually ended up dating her best friend.

A few different scenarios that can get all mixed up... You are walking past someone at work and.....

Other person: "How ya doing?"
You: "Not much..."

Other person: "Hey, what's going on?"
You: "Good, how bout you?"

Did this on several occasions throughout my years....

Waitress: "Enjoy your meal."
Me: "Thanks, you too."

I always end the checking out at the store with.....

"Thanks, have a good day..." at 10 at night.
or
"Thanks, have a good evening...." at 9 in the morning.
Quote from mrodgers :Did this on several occasions throughout my years....

Yeah, that happened to me too. My grandfather shook my hand and said "Happy Birthday" and I automatically replied "Happy Birthday".
Quote from Scrabby :He actually did this:
Overtook me and said "Danke" (thank you). Do you guys do that in Germany lol?

Offcourse I just walked on but....it was weird

If you intentionally let them pass by making room or stopping for a moment, then I assume polite Germans will, like us Austrians, thank you.
Same goes for letting someone else (the elderly, disabled, pregnant, ...) have your seat in the bus, sometimes even when you push the button for the pedestrian lights. So yeah, you'll hear "Danke" or "Dankeschön" quite often, even if it seems unecessary, might even be a waste of time which I find somewhat paradox since it's supposed to be polite, yet wasting someone's time is rather impolite.
... When i remember my "oldschool" times. I was 7-9 years old and if there was coming new year - people were wishing me "happy new year", i couldnt talk very good so i sayd "happiest newest years to you too" (translated). And at this time, when was my birthday - people wished me "happy birthday and i told them "u too"
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :What the hell is wrong with what I’m wearing just now…football shirts and jeans is good enough for a Friday night at the pub

even if it was a dump, id still wear nice clothes.

a bad habbit on my behalf i guess.
Quote from mrodgers :

haha.

I'll try that and see what funny looks I get...

Anyway, uh around Easter, Mcdonalds brings out those Cadburys Creme Egg Mcflurries.. basically they put bits of chocolate and some caramel sauce in it..... my Dad, ever the joker..

"Hey mate.. can I get one of those creme egg mcflurries... but can you not break the egg?"

*very strange looks from the person behind the till..*
*me shrinks down behind the counter so they can't see me..*

i hate it when a girls stands next to me and for some reason starts to talk about here liking for horses while i realy dont like those dammed animals.

Im alsways like GRRRRR jeesus dammit stop talking talk about fun anim als that dont eat my t-shirts like cats or something?
When you hug a girl from behind, and it turns out to be someone else :X

Or when I was younger I thought this lady was my mum, walked up to her and asked her what was for dinner tonight xD
Despite having a fairly good memory, for gods sake i can't remember names.

It often happens that i meet people I went on a trip or party with some time before. I always have to aks them. There is one guy who has the same problem, and we even have identical names

Or in one case a girl added me on ICQ and started chatting about stuff, and I thought her to be someone else. Eventually I asked another friend for a pic of her, turns out she was that jesusfreak-pigtail-greenie girl that had a crush on me a year back...

Thats why I started writing peoples names in the photos filenames, that helps a bit

Another thing I hatre is if a conversation just stops, resulting in everyone staring into their beverage:ernaehrun
Quote from Alex_Ward :When you hug a girl from behind, and it turns out to be someone else :X

i did that a few years ago when i had pretty much just turned 20, it was the epicest, EPICEST fail in the world.

I was in de niro's niteclub in newmarket (if you're interested lol) and i had been chatting to this girl at the bar earlier on.

She had really long brown hair and was wearing a blue backless dress, that i remember.

I saw 'her' later on on the dance floor and began dancing near her, and then got a bit braver and put my hands on her hips, she didnt complain and before long i was giving her i kind of backwards hug/dance thing.

So, the song changed and she turned around to face me.

Oh for f---s sake, NO no nononononononononoNOOOOOO!!!!

It wasn't the same girl at all, it was someone i remember from school though, because she was a bloody TEACHER!!!!

I hung my head in shame, ran downstairs into pacinos bar and stayed there for the rest of the night.

My mates didn't see, thank F--K! and don't even know to this day.
Quote from Alex_Ward :When you hug a girl from behind, and it turns out to be a guy

how's that for awkward? at work, i've had so many random people say "excuse me miss?" (i have a ponytail), mostly because they're lost. i guess they don't see my beard sticking out the sides of my fat head.
Quote from danthebangerboy :i did that a few years ago when i had pretty much just turned 20, it was the epicest, EPICEST fail in the world.

I was in de niro's niteclub in newmarket (if you're interested lol) and i had been chatting to this girl at the bar earlier on.

She had really long brown hair and was wearing a blue backless dress, that i remember.

I saw 'her' later on on the dance floor and began dancing near her, and then got a bit braver and put my hands on her hips, she didnt complain and before long i was giving her i kind of backwards hug/dance thing.

So, the song changed and she turned around to face me.

Oh for f---s sake, NO no nononononononononoNOOOOOO!!!!

It wasn't the same girl at all, it was someone i remember from school though, because she was a bloody TEACHER!!!!

I hung my head in shame, ran downstairs into pacinos bar and stayed there for the rest of the night.

My mates didn't see, thank F--K! and don't even know to this day.

That has to be the biggest fail in this thread so far :chairfall
hmmm, I am not really quickly embarassed, and I find it rather easy to engage people in conversations, so I really don't have much to tell, except a few things happening in foreign countries.

Case 1) Back in school, when I was 16, we had an exchange with a school in Mauriac (beautiful Departement de Cantal, France). After an exhausting 21 sleepless hours in the bus, I was welocomed with what must have been the feast of the year for my host family: doves.
Too bad I can't eat fowl or gnaw meat from bones without getting seriously unwell. Even the sight of otherwise deliciusly grilled birds makes me nearly vomit. And so there was something in front of me that I can only describe as a mass grave of small birds, which made me almost barf on the table.
Thankfully I could pretend that I was travel sick from the long bus voyage, so it wasn't rally that much of a problem. I still feel sorry today though, as I guess it was a huge hassle to prepare such a meal, and I couldn't appreciate it.

Case 2) London, Oxford Street, two years later. Another exchange program with the Sir Frances Bardsley school for girls in Romfort. Again, I have to explain a little: My first name is Norbert, and in class, people called me "Nob", which has no other meaning whatsoever in german. Well, the thing is different in english speaking countries, and the girls (three of them, and not too shabby looking) told me so. Now I actually quite enjoyed the situation as it was obviosuly awkward for them.
My blushing moment was on day two or three there, as already said, in Oxford Street, where my best friend back then saw something interesting and started yelling my surname at the top of his voice to inform me...

Case 3) Well, everything in Finland. Honestly, you Suomilainen don't talk to people. Period. Heck, I've been to funerals in Austria which were more joyful than a standard bus ride in Tampere. Nobody's talking, not even to people they know, no eye contact, no greetings. How do fins get to know new people, as they all don't start conversations?
Quote from ColeusRattus :

Case 3) Well, everything in Finland. Honestly, you Suomilainen don't talk to people. Period. Heck, I've been to funerals in Austria which were more joyful than a standard bus ride in Tampere. Nobody's talking, not even to people they know, no eye contact, no greetings. How do fins get to know new people, as they all don't start conversations?

Yes that's true, some of us are very social but majority of us are very silent and shy. Me for example I don't think I never actually start conversation, usually I just wait for other people to start it...
A very good friend of mine is one of the exceptions, I could say he is socially very skilled and just talks with everyone. He also gets all the girls with this ability of his. He also can't simply understand why it is so hard for me to start conversation with other people, he doesn't understand the concept of "have nothing to say or even if trying can't think anything to say".

TBH one of problems with guys like me is that honestly I'm not even that interested about the talks of other people who I don't know already.

And the question, well... Alcohol. It opens us (tho usually for me it's very hard to do that even when I'm drunk or at least then I will feel next day that I acted like an idiot). And ie. places where you kinda "have to" get to know people, ie. school mates, you have to start to talk them eventually.

Dunno really, we still seem to be able to get friends etc. somehow it just happens.

As a not so socially open person I do get these "socially awkward" situations quite a lot. So often that I don't feel like telling it here.

But one good example is when I go over to my friends house and he has a new girlfriend. We drink coffee, no problem. But when my friend leaves the table for a minute it gets awkward when I don't have anything to say to her and we just start staring our coffee cups. :doh:
Tho it helps that I know that the girl is probably feeling equally awkward at the same situation.
Socially awkward situations for me are when other people don't stfu when there's nothing to say. I don't feel silence is awkward, it's the expectation that there shouldn't be silence. I never expect people to discuss topics with me that they aren't interested in. In fact, if I know you're not interested in what I'm discussing it's awkward because it's like talking to a wall, completely irrelevant. Likewise, I seldom talk to people about things that don't interest me. I've never really understood why some are so keen to converse with people who don't care about what they're saying.

Other than that, shaking hands with people when I have sweaty palms is definitely awkward. Happens a lot since they tend to be that way even when it's cool :s
Quote from ColeusRattus :

im one of those shy people who isnt really good to talk strangers. in my case i almoust never have anything to talk about to them. and the thing of not even talking to people who you know on puplic areas is mainly because they dont want other people to hear their business(or alteast for me its that, i hate when some straner listens to everything you say)
I don't really get too hot and bothered by these kind of situations, I like to adopt the blatant ignorance method or if I half care what the person thinks of me I'll just bang on and on reverse engineering their questions until they get pissed-off and leave me alone

I must admit though, as a youngen' I've had my fair share of awkward situations be it from the time my Uncle left the showers with my clothes in his bag at summer-camp and I had to traverse a camp-site full of people in the nip, to the time when my local newsagent failed to notice that I had just smoked a lot of weed before he hurriedly asked me to watch the counter whilst he went to the bathroom, damn lottery till - I still get nightmares of tripping that day
Case n°1 : You're in a group of friends and some people begin to speak of something you dislike(ie : rap music[sorry for the rap lovers here]) but don't know enough to make constructive critism... So, you have to shut your mouth up, and wait till someone find another topic.

Case n°2 : You see someone you knew from your old school time, or whatever, but you've no idea of what s/he became. So, you don't know if you have to say hello and start a conversation, because a)you don't know if this person remember of you. b)you don't know if you'll be able to speak to him/her without feeling stupid as you don't know him/her much.

Case n°3 : You're abroad on holiday, and you're in front of someone who don't speak English nor your native language. Trust me, you feel so stupid in this case.
I had one happen to me three weeks ago.
It was saturday, and my best freinds birthday. There was 7 guys and 6 girls, and the plan was to go to a nice restaurant which we made resevations at, goto my house, get changed and then go out to a club. Then when were done, all back to my house to chill out. We got to the restaurant and lined up to be served and taken to our table.

I was infront of everyone with the birthday boy next to me. The waitress said hi to us all, and my mate explained how we have reservations. She rambled on for abit about special meal deals etc. While she was talking, i noticed her nametag. I read the name, but could'nt read some small text underneath it. In my own little world, i was stood there for about 3 minutes trying to read this text. I look up, and all my mates are looking at me, as is the waitress. The waitress then says (in that not shouting, but loud enough so everyone can hear her voice) "i would appreciate it if you did not stare at my breast's sir." which i thought was pretty unprofessional. So for the rest of that dinner, i got glare's from the girlfreind until i was able to explain to her.

VERY embarassing.
Oh dear Nathan. You numpty sir!
My life...in general.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I had one happen to me three weeks ago.
It was saturday, and my best freinds birthday. There was 7 guys and 6 girls, and the plan was to go to a nice restaurant which we made resevations at, goto my house, get changed and then go out to a club. Then when were done, all back to my house to chill out. We got to the restaurant and lined up to be served and taken to our table.

I was infront of everyone with the birthday boy next to me. The waitress said hi to us all, and my mate explained how we have reservations. She rambled on for abit about special meal deals etc. While she was talking, i noticed her nametag. I read the name, but could'nt read some small text underneath it. In my own little world, i was stood there for about 3 minutes trying to read this text. I look up, and all my mates are looking at me, as is the waitress. The waitress then says (in that not shouting, but loud enough so everyone can hear her voice) "i would appreciate it if you did not stare at my breast's sir." which i thought was pretty unprofessional. So for the rest of that dinner, i got glare's from the girlfreind until i was able to explain to her.

VERY embarassing.

Ouch

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG