The online racing simulator
Socially Awkward Situations, what don't you like?
I really hate these moments, and somehow I seem to have one of them every single day.

The worst is when you're walking along a corridor, and someone comes out of a turnoff in front of you or something, and starts walking the same way. Thats fine, they walk in front of you, get to a set of doors, have their own dilemma (see above), hold the door open, and thats fine. You walk through, thank them and the two of you walk on, together but separate, in the same direction.

But then, another set of doors, and again, they hold them open for you, so you smile at them. Do you thank them? You already said "cheers" once, will you sound like an inane idiot if you say the same thing again? Do they expect more? So you nod, and maybe mutter some thanks.

But then its time for set of doors number three! There has been no avenue for escape, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, no turnoffs, no stairs, and you've arrived together at set of doors three. By now, a personal bond has formed between you and the door holder. You've been through a lot together (well, three doors), and you don't want to just mutter more thanks. So you feel you have to make a further step, and you have to make a bit of conversation. At this point The Me almost inevitably has a moment of total stupidity, and tries to make conversation with the line "doors eh", followed by a little chuckle. It’s so, so, so inane, and yet I just can't help himself.

Due to the I have never made more than 3 doors. He usually finds an alternate route, any route, even if it involves travelling miles out of the way.
I always find it annoying when you see someone while cycling.
He's coming your way.
You say nothing because you don't expect him to respond, seeing he has his Ipod in.
Then, JUST when he's at your side, passing you, he says hi, and you have no chance but to scream hi back or leave yourself with an empty feeling of not responding.

I find this SO annoying.
i hate having to fart in elevators.

whats wrong ?? cant i enjoy my own fragrance without you people dieing ?
Quote from theirishnoob :i hate having to fart in elevators.

whats wrong ?? cant i enjoy my own fragrance without you people dieing ?

You are one of those

Either way, I know exactly what you mean Mackie. You feel that you have to make it somewhat more personal, since the guy was really nice and helpfull. But it will allways fail, and it will just sound silly. If you just thanks him three times it gets silly, but if you try starting a conversation you either end up messing it up, or the person don't want to speak and feel like a botter to him if he is forced to speak. The best would be to just smile and pull a joke, but I never manage to find a suitable joke for the situation.

Also, similar situation is when you are travelling. I every now and then travell a 6 hour trip, that is both by trains and busses in it. And every now and then you stumble/stumple(?) across people that are doing the excat same route, and taking the same way of travelig. I allways hate when the person next to me is on same buss, train, buss and buss again on this travel, because I FEEL like I have to make an discussion with him. He somewhat get's a bigger meaning than "random person #x" , but when I try to start a discussion it allways fails and I can see that the person feels bottered or think I'm a wanker.. Sometimes when others do this to me, the other way around, I can enjoy it and have a nice talk buddy for the rest of the travell, but other times they are just plain anoying, and it would really suck if everyone look upon me as the anoying one

Ahhh.. humans.. so complicated!
... When im the same room with a girl with who i dont have anything to talk about.
Quote from hazaky :... When im the same room with a girl with who i dont have anything to talk about.

Same here. Especially if you like them
Socially Awkward Situations, what don't you like?No. 2 – Barbers/getting my hair cut.

I hate it, the inane small talk that you are forced to endure by the barber.

Barber – “Day off today mate?”
Me – “Aye”
Barber – “Got anything planned”
Me – “Nah”
Barber – “Shoping then in the big city?”
Me – “Aye” (now getting a bit irked by the constant questioning)
Barber – “Get some new clothes for the weekend maybe?”
Me – “Might do” (What the hell is wrong with what I’m wearing just now…football shirts and jeans is good enough for a Friday night at the pub)
Barber – “Aye I remember when I was young….”
Me (oh god, here we go again)
Barber – “Never had this ‘binge drinking’ in my days”
Me – ehh listen mate….I’m on the meter and have about 10 mins left (blatant lie, I don’t drive)

Its little wonder why I haven’t had a haircut in nearly 2 years now……
Hehe, by barber do you mean the one giving you a haircut or the one sorting out facial hair?

Either way, I seem to be able to endure ladies small talk, but these damn mens are just plain anoying. Remember this one time the one of them asked me if I was free the weekend, I mean OH COME ON FOR LOVE OF GOD! Just HOW many times have I not have a nice little fantasy for banging the shit out of a lady in that chair or some other nice stuff, and then the ONE time it happens that I get attention, it's a FREAKIN' hamrider!
Jesus christ please stab me to death, god's irony is bad! :gnasher:

Other than that I seem to enjoy smalltalk when getting haircut.
Quote from The Very End :Hehe, by barber do you mean the one giving you a haircut or the one sorting out facial hair?

Either way, I seem to be able to endure ladies small talk, but these damn mens are just plain anoying.

OFFTOPIC: Yes "mens*" is never fun..
*) Mens in swedish is "period"

sry for OT...
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Socially Awkward Situations, what don't you like?No. 2 – Barbers/getting my hair cut.

Yeah i have to admit i hate that too. They just ask me to many questions. Like are you still in school? What year you in? Then he goes on about my exams and that annoys me as i have been the one studying for it and hes giving me a lecture about the exams when he knows nothing about the exams i am studying. Then thankfully he decides to talk to someone else.

Pretty awkward, trust me.

Also when you're really drunk and can't tell if the girl is 20 or 40.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Yes! I hate going to the hairdressers for this very reason lol! The forced, almost scripted, coversations when i would much rather they just do their job and let me get out of there...

It's fully scripted over here. How do I know? I've had the 100% exact same conversation with my barber about 4-5 times now. They just don't remember me and ask the same goddamn things every single time. I'll have to go again soon, I just can't wait!
The suprise hug from someone you don't really like, you don't want to hug them back so instead you just stand there.

Walking down the street you see someone you know, at which point to you acknowledge them? Do you pretend not to see them until you're closer? Or shout and wave like a lunatic?

Some idiot cuts you up while driving, you beep and shout at them, calling them all sorts of offensive names. You end up going the exact same direction, into the same car park, and park next to each other. You then have to either continue being angry at them, apologise for swearing at them, or try to get away and avoid saying anything.

The missed cool guy handshake thing. When you assume someone is going for a straight forward British gentleman handshake, but they are actually going for that interlocking thumb thing that American twats do, and you usually end up grabbing the other persons wrist.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :
Walking down the street you see someone you know, at which point to you acknowledge them? Do you pretend not to see them until you're closer? Or shout and wave like a lunatic?

Ahh, I am in exactly same situation most of the times, how to behave when encountering people you know on the street. Most of the times I just smiles at them til we are close enough to talk with normal voice volume. But feels really stupid going towards them smiling like a idiot tho...
Socially Awkward Situations, what don't you like? No. 3 – Forgetting names

Different ways this could work, and unfortunately I have experienced all of them.

Scenario a)

While working in my local Co-op, the area manager walks in and she walks up while I’m stacking shelves and ask to see the manager……she asks for him by name. Well guess who forgot the manager’s name.

Scenario b)

Out with some friends who meet up with their circle of friends and we all get along well. Good night out had by all. Anyway a couple of weeks pass and then while playing football (proper football) a couple new guys join, look familer. There in my team and as goalie I like to know the names of the players, I ask for the 2 new guys names only to have

“We were out 2 weeks ago with Garry, I’m Paul and this is Mark”

Scenario c)

Future prediction time – to all that I had meet at last years LFS karting meet…..I’ve forgotten your names (bar maybe 3 or 4) This will be an awkward moment for sure.
Quote from hazaky :... When im the same room with a girl with who i dont have anything to talk about.

LOL yeah that's awkward..

Personally when you're joking about with your mates in public and you say something a bit too loud... I once said "I rape babies for laughs" in a supermarket... I ran..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :LOL yeah that's awkward..

Personally when you're joking about with your mates in public and you say something a bit too loud... I once said "I rape babies for laughs" in a supermarket... I ran..

Well thats not a 'Socialy Awkward Moment'....

....thats just being an idiot
#18 - SamH
I don't get the problem at the barbers Why not just converse with the guy? Whether you talk or stay silent, he'll still cut your hair until it's cut and you can be sure he'll stop talking when he's done and it's time to move on to the next customer. Small-talk is part of life.
my most hated situation is being put on the spot...

Quote :<chattering about random>
while i got you on the phone, mind if i ask you a huge favour?
((oh god, here it comes ))

closely followed by the guilt trip...

Quote :<chattering about random>
oh, but you have to... blah blah blah blah usually involving family to some degree
((ugh )) i'll think about it.

well, my akward ones are when your alone with someone(maybe just your friend or you are on date) and you should talk something to him but have nothing to talk about. that is really annoying, and then comes the silence, and when you find something to talk about your not sure are you supposed to say something pechause there have been a long silence and you are thinking will you say something wrong. not sure about you, but those are the ones i hate
Yeah not having anything to say is the worst. You can tell when it happens as everyone involved gets their phones out and starts messing around with them. In fact that's the only reason I got an iPhone, to have something to do in awkward situations...
For the holding 3 doors open for you, it's an impossibility. Dude holds first door open for you, you walk through, you are now ahead. What does the other guy do? Run blazing past you to get ahead again? Next door is your turn to hold. That's how it happens.

I've never had 3 doors in a row. Most is usually 2 doors. Dude opens first, I step through, thanks, next door I hold. If it's a lady or children, I try to step so that I can hold all the doors for her/them.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Some idiot cuts you up while driving, you beep and shout at them, calling them all sorts of offensive names. You end up going the exact same direction, into the same car park, and park next to each other. You then have to either continue being angry at them, apologise for swearing at them, or try to get away and avoid saying anything.

Definitely been there done that. Recently, the idiot didn't cut me off, he was behind me. 55 mph limit, I'm doing about 70, and idiot in his penis-compensation Ford F350 is all over my bumper. I literally could not see past the reflection in my own windshield from his headlights. Well, let's see how he likes 45 mph then, until we hit the nice straight stretch. I smoked him then and got away from him. Onto the backroads thinking he's gone and I'm back to driving normally (40 mph limit, normal driving speed around 50.) He catches back up and is all over my bumper again. Ok, now let's see how he likes 20 mph! Through the woods, up the hill, around the bend, down the hill, around the next bend, onto the next road, turn off that road, to the stopsign, up the hill, onto the access road, into the parking lot, he's still there. He was a coworker. We had words, many words. I never liked that idiot anyways. Total jackass. "I've never been this late..." he said. Well, next time he's sure to be late if I ever can't see out in front of me because of his headlights.

Quote :The missed cool guy handshake thing. When you assume someone is going for a straight forward British gentleman handshake, but they are actually going for that interlocking thumb thing that American twats do, and you usually end up grabbing the other persons wrist.

This is only reserved for very good friends, as in almost family kind of friends. Else, it would be a normal hand shake.

How about coming up to someone you know and haven't seen forever, and it's not who you think it is? Christmas time, I'm walking through the front of a grocery store and I see Tom whom I went to college with (14 people started, 6 of us made it through the program to get a degree, we were a tight nit group.) I haven't seen Tom for quite a long time. Tom has a VERY deep voice. I walked up, gave a big, "Hey! Tom! Merry Christmas, how have you been?" and extend to shake his hand (not the 'American Twat way as you say...) 'Tom' squeaks in a squeaky voice, "Merry Christmas to you too..." Hmm..... definitely not Tom.... /me runs....
Quote from batteryy :well, my akward ones are when your alone with someone(maybe just your friend or you are on date) and you should talk something to him but have nothing to talk about. that is really annoying, and then comes the silence, and when you find something to talk about your not sure are you supposed to say something pechause there have been a long silence and you are thinking will you say something wrong. not sure about you, but those are the ones i hate

Please don't think i'm crazy about grammar or something. It's just that you write the same word in a wrong way since a few years now... and it's not an uncommon word. So just to let you know: It's "because" and not "pecause", nor "pechause". Just thought i'd give you a hint.

And back on topic:
As SamH said, smalltalk is a part of life. Just talk about the weather, your work, the other persons work, holidays, whatever... is it such a big deal?
Quote from mrodgers :For the holding 3 doors open for you, it's an impossibility. Dude holds first door open for you, you walk through, you are now ahead. What does the other guy do? Run blazing past you to get ahead again? Next door is your turn to hold. That's how it happens.

It's the door hold were he is still leading, he stretching back to hold the door open, and as I walk through he lets go allowing me enough time to get through while retaining the lead.....

....come to think of it that behavior it's self is a bit strange
Quote from jibber :Please don't think i'm crazy about grammar or something. It's just that you write the same word in a wrong way since a few years now... and it's not an uncommon word. So just to let you know: It's "because" and not "pecause", nor "pechause". Just thought i'd give you a hint.

And back on topic:
As SamH said, smalltalk is a part of life. Just talk about the weather, your work, the other persons work, holidays, whatever... is it such a big deal?

lool? our teacher teached it to us as pechause well thank you anyway

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG