The online racing simulator
Having no experience but LX-6 in LFS on G25 wheel...
...I managed to do this almost sub-consciously while still braking trying to make the corner (I know usually you're not supposed to brake!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjH1Z_qmSh8&fmt=18

Seriously. I don't race about on roads, and specifically booked a track day to learn my car.
I've never pushed it at speed before, so ALL my instinct reactions come entirely from LFS. Particularly how at first I deemed the LX-6 undriveable under any kind of aggression, but then learned to catch it before it went bad.

Probably not a big deal for anyone seasoned, but this is my first track day, and my first time really pushing the car, or any RWD car at high speed.

There's no way I thought this through as it was happening, it's all been burned in from dicking about with LX-6. It didn't really sink in what just happened till I screamed like a chimp!

So thanks Scawen & Co for keeping me out the cones!
Hehe

Thats nice to hear, that LFS helped you.

Nice save
Cold tires, nothing else...
Quote from TypeRacing :Cold tires, nothing else...

Oh. So the Car straightened out because of the Cold Tires? Interesting.
Nice save.
nice save!

Get those thumbs outside of the wheel. That's a good way to get them broken. I always rest my thumbs on top of the wheel. Once you get used to it, wrapping them around will feel wrong and you won't have to think about it.

It takes time to get smooth. Looks like you'll get there fairly quickly. Good job!
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah in the grand scheme of tank-slappers it was pretty light, but for a noob it felt like the world was coming to an end

I'll try the thumbs thing. I can't wait to get back on track! Next time with a quieter exhaust so I can rev it and use factory boost
haha. good job.

(yay rotary! I have a '91 RX-7. It's not quite ready for a trackday yet.)
#9 - Byku
Holy **** Mate! Awesome job! Now try to drift! At least i would TRY to do it on Your place . Post some more videos, opinions etc. later , especially about LFS physics .
Next time warm up the tires a bit before going all out
Quote from TypeRacing :Cold tires, nothing else...

The cold tyres and braking mid corner which caused the car to lose grip. It was the driver that saved the slide. Nice save by the way! I love your amazement in the vid of how you cant believe you saved it.
nice.

36 euro's invested.

several hundreds saved (or thousands if near a guard rail).
Nice save but I think you are pushing it a bit too hard if this is your first track experience with this car.
Try to stay in limits for a couple of laps
before you start drifting.
Haha thanks for all the comments.

It was cold tyres that caused this. A lap later I was doing that corner just as fast and tight without issue.

The funny thing is, I'm that much of a racing geek to know that cold tyres don't grip. I'm also that much of a racing geek to know that painted surfaces are slippy when wet, but I still tried them, and yes I spun 360 degrees!

However, I didn't brake mid-corner. I'd been doing that corner flat for the last two previous 20min stints (on warm tyres). It really did just get away from me due to no grip (cold tyres).

On this run, I was trying to keep up with my friends MX-5 right from the off That thing just seemed to have endless grip from the get go. His tyres after each run were like tar, so they must have been a much softer compound and able to get up to temp quicker. My rears by comparison were quite hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8HHeshfNaE&fmt=18 Here is part of a run from earlier in the day. You'll see that on the first lap I don't take that corner flat, but when tyres are warmed up, I do.

I'm just a noob and made a rookie mistake, admittedly and unashamedly. Everyone starts somewhere

If there are any folk on here really comfortable with LFS, even if you only have a banger car in real life, get yourself down to a rookie track day event. You'll surprise yourself!

Oh and I really don't have much interest in drifting. To me oversteer should be a side-effect of trying something beautiful, not induced for the sake of it, but each to their own

Oh and if I'm permitted to act like a fanboy, Mazda are GENIUSES! Really impressed with the RX-7, and equally stunned by my friends MX-5. It absolutely FLEW considering it's power deficit! He too is an avid LFS junkie, and he was being held up by people in Porsches and even an Ariel Atom! (You can see the Atom in the video I just linked to about halfway through)

So yeah the moral of the story is, at least for RX-7 handling in comparison to the LFS tourers, you're not wasting your life learning a useless skill playing video games! LOL

One last thing, I even learned toe-heel downshifts on LFS!
LMAO! 'how the f--k did i hold that!?!' Quality!
It's great to see people genuinely being helped to drive on the limit due to LFS. I felt the same way when I first started rally driving. The way the car behaved is so similar, that after getting to grips with LFS it's really not too different. The only very big difference is the forces that act on your body in real life that you do not get when sitting in your computer chair bombing it around Fern Bay in an XFG
Yeah I must say, that is the first thing that hits you when you drive a track for real. Even stuff that looks seemingly minor doesn't half knock you about and strain muscles you didn't even know existed lol.
Without my harness I'd struggle so much as without one you tend to use the wheel to steady yourself.
Haha nice save. and btw.. when you started to laugh (1:28-1:30), made me laugh pretty much too.. lol
You will get adicted to that kind of adrenaline rushes. Great vid and great car, pitty it was limited
Quote from EeekiE :

The funny thing is, I'm that much of a racing geek to know that cold tyres don't grip. I'm also that much of a racing geek to know that painted surfaces are slippy when wet, but I still tried them, and yes I spun 360 degrees!

Cold tires are a feel thing. Don't worry about it. First time I went out on cold slicks I spun so much I got dizzy!
Love that Laugh!!
lol nice save man i did something like this my last trackday but with 400hp 330RWHP in 3rd and bumpy corner i hit the limiter instantly and ended up going off just off the track by 1 foot due to unexpected loss of power

mind u i was being a idiot and drifting cause i allready set my lap record for the day
#23 - MR_B
LOL! Well done! That was quite amazing.

"Waghahahahaaaaa!"
Quote from danthebangerboy :LMAO! 'how the f--k did i hold that!?!' Quality!

hahah i had a chuckle at that too. did you say 'you sh*t c*nt', btw? if so, how did aussie slang make it to you guys so fast haha

oh btw, nice driving there too. if that's your first track day then you're doing quite well, nice lines and stuff and some good car control
i remember my first track day, wasnt so long ago, and i pretty much did the exact same thing as you, coming of a sweeper into a hairpin and just grabbed the rears when i pressed the brake. it definitely gets your attention!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG