The online racing simulator
Payment for hires skin
(32 posts, started )
Quote from Bob Smith :What about people who are on a very low bandwidth service, or with tight data transfer limits? They might really not want to download hi-res skins. Also I'm really not interested in looking at skins, whether you think I need to or not. So we should be able to disable these 'free' hi-res skins.

I also think that you should have the possibility to disable if you don't want to watch skins of ppl who pay to wear 1024 res.
So just small change from devs side.
@If you payed for 1024 skins dl so it wouldn change for you you will see it anyway.
@If you didnt payed then you also can swith to 1024 dl then you would not dl any skin other tht ppl who payed for this.
@And the third option turn to 512 and enjoy low res quality, you will not going to see any skin in 1024 your bandwith will be saved.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :The only reason you need skins is to have an idea of who's who on the track. When you're racing, you're not thinking how the skin of the guy in front of you would look better in hi-res. Hi-res skins might look good in the garage, but once you're racing I'd doubt that 90% of people will notice the quality.

I haven't noticed any difference between hi-res and lo-res when racing, I don't even look at what the skin is about, just its general pattern and colour, and maybe the number if it's big enough. It's much better than using names over cars that way

So you pay for hi res so you can say there is no difference?
But you wouldnt like to see hi res for free?
Dont get it...

I am pretty sure most ppl wouldn't have nothing against watching at ppls skin at hi res, at least i would like, since i played on few servers where ppl like to wear custom skins wich usually contains very small details thin lines and likes and usually its screew looks of it pretty much.
Quote from Bob Smith :Have any facts to back that up?

Well whenever i am on server and ppl speak bout skins its usually like yeah cool skin and all but the 512 quality really sux actually after few talks like that i decided to make this topic.
when speakin with ppl on servs never met anyone who would pay for dl1024 so this why i said no much ppl pay for it.
Quote from Myw :Personally, I think that this would be tampering with the skin maker's intentions which is not right.

There 4 steps to show you my way of thinking.
>If I make skin i spent time to make it look good.
>If I uploading it on lfsworld I do it to show my (good looking in my opinion) skin to other ppl I racing online.
>If it doesnt looking good online i dont have what to show other ppl since it look like pile of pixels.
>So I dont upload it on lsfworld since uploading misses its purpose anyway.
So its screew my intention as a skiner anyway wether ppl see it or not.

Anyway I cant speak for other ppl the fact that i would pay to make my skin look as it intend to do from the very begining doesnt change the fact that not all ppl think like me.
So it could be either a great idea which make game look better and more enjoyable and skining more rewarding.
Either An Uber Fail, I simply cant say right now how this would develop.

But this discussion grown long and painful lets kill it
Cuz this discussion its really pointless..
Cuz we have here ppl who just like flame wars so they use arguments like
Quote from Deutschland2007 :No.

Either don't understand what this thread its about
Quote from Tim_J_23 :Would YOU pay to see others skin?
No.
Really suckass idea. -4564575467468678

Unless my english its really sux so i cant explain what i meant then sry if this the case.

Also there is some conformist who cant say anything that really matters
But the want to lick some a**es so they could find some friend online.
So they cant say anything reasonable but still want to take their part in discussion.

And ppl who just afraid to say anything that is deffer form official forum mainstream so thy stay quite or say something that is neutral cant blame them thought.

At the verry end we have ppl who have some arguments why this idea sux, or who show me posible problems.
But or I am some freackin genious or all this problems is easy to solve or just avoid, some other problems we speak here just need not any solving cuz they are doesnt exist.
So as i said or I am some freacking genious or most of this problem its not really matters and in fact its just serve to make some big pile of problems to show me how much the idea sux.

Ofcours a few really reasonable arguments where mentioned here but the rest is just meningless.

Also there is no such a thing like feature to hard to implement cuz every coder dev programmer call whatever you like know that making anything its like making code in one hour and correct mistakes, finding why its not working and try to baypass limitations for next 6-10 hours
So in fact making games or anything its from begining not easy and generaly its pain in the ass

But as I said i tired of this meaningless discussion so no matter what i will not respond(or I try not to respond ).
So close the topic, delete it, leave it as memento to hext generation why you shouldnt come up with some crazy ideas, I dont care Hi/Bay, lets kill it.

Quote from Chupacabras84 :So you pay for hi res so you can say there is no difference?
But you wouldnt like to see hi res for free?
Dont get it...

No, I don't pay for hi-res skins, for the reasons I've stated. You can still download them separately and put them in your LFS folder. I have most of my teammates' skins in hi-res in my LFS folder. I can't notice anything between those that are hi-res and lo-res when racing, I still know who's who though
Anyway, when I'm racing, I don't cry because I can't see uberhighres skins
#29 - Ori
This might not be the most important aspect of improvements but it definately is one to be discussed.

My opinion on the skins / payment / lowres/highres is:

1. If the developers want to make money, then my god there are other, better ways to do that. To be honest paying for highres skins i find is a sorry idea.

2. The creator of the skin should be able to decide whether others can use or only see the skin. Of course this means changes in LFS are needed but i think the time put in such changes is well invested.

3. Connection: Guys c'mon. If u can play 3D games/sims online then u have a connection that can do some mini-downloads -even if the skins are 4096x4096.

4. Obviously the best solution to this is a feature making it possible to download all the skins published so far and updating atomaticly. This could also be widened by showing the wheel/tyre/... the other driver is using.
I don't think many people use the hi-res skin option. My guess is ~<5% of LFS users (?) People don't like paying for software.... So I understand the OP's point. He spends hours of his time making nice looking skins but they look like garbage to 95% of the users. I think the problem with this idea is that as Bob said, it can't coexist with the current system. If we introduce a way for people to get hi-res skins for free, than no one's going to use the current system (where you pay to see other's hi-res skins). Do you really want a system where "you" have to pay to make the game look better on someone "else's" computer?

Anyway, I finally put $ in my account for hi-res skins a few days ago - I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. The game looks fantastic now (especially with the revolution mod).
ANyone who wants to see skins in hi-res should have to pay the artist!
Quote from RobbyMac :ANyone who wants to see skins in hi-res should have to pay the artist!

As a fellow artits i could not agree more with that quote

Payment for hires skin
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG