The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5 anyone?
(151 posts, started )
Quote from Bose321 :What, is there a reason to buy a crapstation? I really don't wanna buy a console just for a game like GT5. I prefer the realistic games.

Praystation 3 > Xbot 369
Ps3 is good. it's really good. it shouldn't be called as "praystation". I have never experienced a down side of it(except the mkv files and subtitle support for video files).Gt5 is good too. it's not the best sim but still feels like a sim'ish arcade. i hope it'll have a good crash-damage feature when released as full version.

if i hadn't bought it i'd start planning to buy one again.
It's designed for a joypad, so of course it needs to have some give and take with regards to making it feel right without making it impossible to control. I know you CAN use a wheel, but it's designed with the 100% market in mind - all console owners have pads, far fewer have wheels as well.
LFS, on the other hand, is a nightmare to control via a joypad and that's the reason I can't play it online any more. It's all about target markets.

I love both Forza on the 360 and GT5P on the PS3. They both feel right with regards to physics. Realistic, the feeling of weight when you launch the car into a corner, but still controllable on the tiny turning range of a joypad. Looking forward to FM3 and GT5 in about equal measure.
I want to try Enthusia though - makes me wish I had a backwards compatible PS3
Quote from Dajmin :It's designed for a joypad, so of course it needs to have some give and take with regards to making it feel right without making it impossible to control. I know you CAN use a wheel, but it's designed with the 100% market in mind - all console owners have pads, far fewer have wheels as well.
LFS, on the other hand, is a nightmare to control via a joypad and that's the reason I can't play it online any more. It's all about target markets.

I love both Forza on the 360 and GT5P on the PS3. They both feel right with regards to physics. Realistic, the feeling of weight when you launch the car into a corner, but still controllable on the tiny turning range of a joypad. Looking forward to FM3 and GT5 in about equal measure.

And you could see how a game fails if they design it for wheel use. Enthusia was hard as hell with a joypad (still could do it tho), but feels damn impressive with a wheel. And now guess why it wasn't very successful...

I haven't tried it with the PS3, since it runs perfect on the PS2. However, i've read that it runs fine on the PS3 (you have to turn off the menu and race music, because it'll freeze otherwise).
I heard similar tales, but wasn't sure if that was just on the 60Gb BC-enabled consoles. Mine's an 80Gb one with no BC stuff so I didn't want to risk it on the off-chance
Quote from Dajmin :I heard similar tales, but wasn't sure if that was just on the 60Gb BC-enabled consoles. Mine's an 80Gb one with no BC stuff so I didn't want to risk it on the off-chance

I have a 40GB PS3 which isn't BC-enabled either if i'm not mistaken. I'll make a quick test tonight and tell you the results.
Quote from Dajmin :It's designed for a joypad, so of course it needs to have some give and take with regards to making it feel right without making it impossible to control. I know you CAN use a wheel, but it's designed with the 100% market in mind - all console owners have pads, far fewer have wheels as well.

In the tour made to their offices, all I saw was DFP's hooked up to ps3's. And its how the "boss" yamasomething tests the new builds.

All the other guys building the graphics and interface had sixasis.

So I don't know about that. It does feel good when I drive it with my g25, it could pass as a simulator hands down.
Quote from jibber :I have a 40GB PS3 which isn't BC-enabled either if i'm not mistaken. I'll make a quick test tonight and tell you the results.

Doesn't work.
That's what I thought Disappointing though. I was hoping to be able to order a copy off eBay for about a fiver.
I think you should be able to find a really cheap PS2 on ebay. If it's not gonna be more than like 30 euro together with enthusia, it would be well worth it.
Pointless though, since Forza 3 will be out this year and GT5 next. Those will be enough to keep me busy for a while
I was WELL dissapointed to find out my PS3 wasn't BC enabled , I would have loved to have played GT1,2,3 & 4 again.
Why did you guys get rid of your PS2s to begin with?! :rolleyes:
I've never owned a PS2 so I think I have an excuse. Before this generation, the last console I owned was an N64

I was also pretty annoyed with the removal of BC from the PS3s, but I still think it could be done with software emulation - there's no way the Cell couldn't handle it. The real reason for it, of course, is how else would they convince people to buy the PSN versions over the second-hand bargain bucket discs?
Why did they ever remove it? I have the original 60GB version, which supported about 7 games when released, but after an update supports 99% of them. I thought that was one of the selling points of the console, that it was BC'able without the huge amount of PS1 and PS2 games about?
I brushed the dust off of my old PS1 games recently and spent many hours playing them on my PS3. Brings back so many childhood memories. The original Rayman! What a great game. Formula One 97 - Best commentary in a game ever!

:')
Quote from jibber :Why did you guys get rid of your PS2s to begin with?! :rolleyes:

I sold mine to buy a G25......
So, for those of us who are PS3 n00b's, what's BC stand for and how do you ensure that you get a BC'able PS3? Also, as somebody stated, I thought there was a software update that made them all backwards compatible? I know, off-topic, but I gotta know before I get rid of my PS2 as well. (I'd rather my 3DO sit in that spot of my entertainment center - where the NFS franchise started, and before it was bastardized!)
Quote from Tinytacohead :So, for those of us who are PS3 n00b's, what's BC stand for and how do you ensure that you get a BC'able PS3? Also, as somebody stated, I thought there was a software update that made them all backwards compatible? I know, off-topic, but I gotta know before I get rid of my PS2 as well. (I'd rather my 3DO sit in that spot of my entertainment center - where the NFS franchise started, and before it was bastardized!)

You've just answered your own question without knowing...

BC = Backwards Compatibility

I have no idea how to determine which PS3 models have it, but i'm sure google would know the answer.
Quote from jibber :You've just answered your own question without knowing...

BC = Backwards Compatibility

I have no idea how to determine which PS3 models have it, but i'm sure google would know the answer.

Gotcha, had just woke up and obviously wasn't thinking real well yet, haha. Before I have a chance to hit Google, anybody know for sure about the software update/BC?
I know that the 60GB PS3 is BC because I have one myself.
Quote from Gills4life :I know that the 60GB PS3 is BC because I have one myself.

I'd heard the upper hard drive sized ones were, but somebodies post here made me wonder.. So are all 60/80Gb PS3's, BC?
This thread is one of our favorite rivalries in sim racing. Darin and I have been playing both and not arguing as much as comparing both the xbox to the playstation as well as GT5 Prologue vs. Forza2. After a full blown head to head grudge match we ended up not making many friends as anyone can imagine. To see that shootout and to get involved in that banter head over to
www.insidesimracing.tv
or to our you tube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/simracingtonight

Other then that, let the rivalry live on strong, I cant wait for GT5 final and Forza3.

Shaun Cole
Inside Sim Racing
Quote from Tinytacohead :So are all 60/80Gb PS3's, BC?

No, only the 60Gb models support BC. The 40Gb and 80Gb models don't.

The Wiki page is the easiest place to check.
As far as I know they took all the models with BC out of production.

Edit: Didn't see Dajmin's Wiki link, but yeah, no more BC models in production ;D

Gran Turismo 5 anyone?
(151 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG