The online racing simulator
My next motor??
(95 posts, started )
Quote from bunder9999 :i'd save the money and buy a mini... you wanted a bmw anyways, why not go new and cheap at the same time?

A REAL Mini, maybe, but those plastic replica crapmobiles...never! (Besides a "NEW" car does not equal cheap....)

Considering that the garage I work from is DIRECTLY across the road from where they throw the Mini's together, and that I know LOADS of people who work/worked there, I would NEVER, EVER consider buying one...shit, if somebody GAVE me one I'd sell it or scrap it before I drove it.
They're nice cars but I'd expect to get something in good condition for that price. They tend to last but obviously a car that has been thrashed all its life is going to be a dog, so steer clear of M3s/bigger coupes for that money (you do get some). If it hasn't been abused to much then typically it's just dampers and bushes that need replacing overtime and the bearing in the alternator can go (costly). Overall though they're easy cars to work on being a nice open front rear layout clutches and diffs are not big jobs.

Quote from shaun463 :
Fiat Coupes for under £2000 - Baby Ferraris essentially

Right...

Quote from Jakg :Seat Leon Cupra?

Fat, ugly overpowered front wheel drive thing can't really compete with a proper car.

Quote from Nathan_French_14 :
The engines are strong on these. Seing as this one has had a 1.8 fitted, it may have replaced due to failure of the original.

The later E36 316s had an 8 valve 1.8 engine.
Quote from pb32000 :What a quality URL. Literally couldn't be less well done.

I bet the webby cost more to create than the car
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :The engines are strong on these. Seing as this one has had a 1.8 fitted, it may have replaced due to failure of the original..

The last of the E36 compact came fitted with the 1.9 8v engine.

Don't always believe the badge. The 323 is actually a de-restricted 2.5.

As a previous 316/318 owner (albeit a saloon) - I would highly recommend one. Best car I have ever driven. The build quality is amazing, the ride is a very comfortable one and the drive is superb. As someone stated, the rear suspension is the same as an e30, so bits are usually cheap and easy to find. Some parts are interchangeable throughout the range, such as the Z3. The E36 and Z3 are pretty much the same underneath. Nothing major tends to go wrong with these cars. But do check the rear arches for rust and the boot lid. The rear suspension turrets tend to rot, but with it being a low mileage late example, I don't think you need to worry. There are also a lot of BMW breakers and many a forum you can get help from.

The price is also very good, I would get in there quick because I promise, it won't be around for long. The car seems in a very good state with a few nice toys (PDC and electric windows/mirrors)

Comes highly recommended from me, nice choice.
Quote from The General Lee :The last of the E36 compact came fitted with the 1.9 8v engine.

Don't always believe the badge. The 323 is actually a de-restricted 2.5.

Oops! i made myself look silly. Sorry about that though. Cheers for the info!
Quote from Bladerunner :Great choice Shaun..you offering to pay the insurance?? That 316i is a group 10...which comes under the heading "affordable"...the Supra and the Fiats are group 18...which is classified under "You are having a f***ing laugh!"

There is also the subject of petrol..I would prefer something that gets between 35-40 mpg, not 3 or 4 mpg!!
Unlike you, I have a family to run as well, and Daddy isn't paying for it..._I_ am!

I'm 18, I got quoted on my 1.3 Jetta at £3,000 for a laugh I tried to get quoted on a stock Supra RZ 3L Twin Turbo and it was only £5,000.
As a current e36 316i owner i also would recommend you the bigger engines. The 4-cylinder ones are great but the 6-cylinder just suit the car better. It's a pretty reliable car you can have good fun with
Quote from piggy501 :http://tatanano.inservices.tatamotors.com/tatamotors/

:rolleyes:

After Rice-burners we now have CURRY-BURNERS!!! Do they use old poppadoms as brake discs and chapatis as air filters?

Thanks, but no thanks!

@ Nathan and Flughafen...Thanks lads, just the sort of comment I was hoping for when I posted
@ Blue Flame... Er...I'm aiming BELOW what I am paying on my Swift at the moment...a whole £154 fully comp (Grp 11) ...weird really, that the insurance on a 1.9 Beemer should be cheaper than a knackered old 1.3 Suzy
You missed me out fella
Quote from STROBE :Some really helpful replies you're getting here Bladey. How can you tell that lfsforum is largely populated by kids who have never contributed towards, let alone paid for and run their own car?

For the BMW you posted, all I would mention is that I'm sure the 3-series compacts do not share the same suspension as the normal 3-series. The Compact is much inferior wrt the drive and handling, or so I remember reading at the time. If you want a rear drive Beemer, I'd suggest trying to stretch the budget to a conventional 3-series.

High insurance groups aren't so bad. My car is group 13 and the costs have plummeted as I get older, and I'm still in my twenties. Recently I got a quote for a group 19 car (y'know, just for when I win the lottery ) and was pleasantly surprised that it came in at well under four figures.

I can agree with your post in general.

Don't worry about insurance groups too much.. as long as you're a respectable middle aged man, married with children and a clean driving licence, you'll be paying less than someone half your age on a car in half the insurance group.

As for economy, well believe it or not there's a point where a smaller engine won't give better economy than a larger engine. In a car the size/weight of a 3 series, a 320i would probably be the best all rounder. The 316i is breathless and the 318i is just acceptable. The 320i would have the best combination between power and economy. But as I said, you'll get back how you drive it. At 60mph the economy difference between a 1.8 and a 2.0 is neglible anyway. The 1.8 may be smaller but it will have to be working harder to maintain speed, while the 2.0 will need less effort to maintain the same momentum.
A nice BMW. I would say it is a great replacement, but others may not. Try looking around some more.
Quote from S14 DRIFT : In a car the size/weight of a 3 series, a 320i would probably be the best all rounder. The 316i is breathless and the 318i is just acceptable.

Actually, the 320 is fail in 3-series e36. It have +/- same petrol consumption as 323/25/28 have and it accelerates slower. In my opinion, go for a 318is, if you can find it.
Quote from The General Lee :You missed me out fella

Sorry Gen...my bad...I actually meant to say "@ General Lee & Flughafen" but had a brain fart!

Thanks for info..was useful
#42 - robt
If you can put in more info It could help pick the right car. ie.
your most common/typical jurneys
Budget (both for the car, tax and insurance)
Any type of car in particular youre going for?

(I did skim read the thread but couldnt find an answer to these qs)
Quote from Agniz :In my opinion, go for a 318is, if you can find it.

Sure go for an all time chav racer favourite due to a better gas mileage to horsepower ratio, which has been abused to no extent...

P.S: at least I tried to help, Bladey
Bump time...Sod the BMWobblies...I got my new car today...A 1998 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE with 80K miles for £840...ticks all the boxes, nice comfortable ride... Leather interior, Air-con, ABS, Cruise control, Electric Everything (mirrors, windows, sunroof..)....and quite a beefy lump under the bonnet

Well chuffed !
(AND...Fully Comp insurance only £130 + £17 for NCB Protection)
Congratulations! Sounds like a nice little motor
Congrats for the car, Bladey, enjoy it.
Quote from Scrabby :http://www.northernanimation.c ... allery/misc/fwd_sucks.jpg

So does RWD when compared to...

Four Wheel Drive

Also.....
I will NEVER forget the time I overtook a BMW going up a hill....in my little Renault 5L (early model)

It had three guys SITTING ON THE BOOT to try and get some traction...I didnt even have snow chains or studded tyres on my little Renault...but it pi$$ed all over the flash RWD BMW!!!!
I never took '98 Hyundai Coupe seriously as a car for men. It looks really girly for me.
Don't crash it, I'd reckon it would have a 1-2 star saftey rating! :hide:

My next motor??
(95 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG