The online racing simulator
My next motor??
(95 posts, started )
My next motor??
Need advice people...the poor old Swifty is nearing the end of its days...no metal left underneath to weld any more patches to...brakes need complete replacement...shox on the way out...a bit of an oil leak (or ten!)...so now going to the big scrapyard in the sky

SO.....as a replacement I have my eye on THIS little beauty...what does people think? Price about right? A good car?...What???

Please let me know
2 common problems - it has tail cutted off and doesen't have engine.
Rx7.
#4 - Agniz
Quote from Martinss :2 common problems - it has tail cutted off and doesen't have engine.

shhhh, dont say that. for UK guys, 1.6 engine is something unbelievable cool
Quote from Agniz :shhhh, dont say that. for UK guys, 1.6 engine is something unbelievable cool

At least READ the advertisement...for some reason this has a 1895cc engine....

Quote from Klutch :Rx7.

If you have nothing constructive to add, kindly be nice and STFU...kthxbai
#7 - Jakg
Seat Leon Cupra?
Quote from shaun463 :BMW 3 Series 323i SE - £1575

http://search.autotrader.co.uk ... 99&vehicleRegLetter=T

Toyota Supras for under £2000

http://search.autotrader.co.uk ... p;ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Fiat Coupes for under £2000 - Baby Ferraris essentially

http://search.autotrader.co.uk ... p;ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Great choice Shaun..you offering to pay the insurance?? That 316i is a group 10...which comes under the heading "affordable"...the Supra and the Fiats are group 18...which is classified under "You are having a f***ing laugh!"

There is also the subject of petrol..I would prefer something that gets between 35-40 mpg, not 3 or 4 mpg!!
Unlike you, I have a family to run as well, and Daddy isn't paying for it..._I_ am!
#9 - Jakg
Dude your like 90 - Insurance groups don't matter at that age :P

I would of said the Seat Leon Cupra - but it only gets 33 MPG and is insurance group 16 so maybe not...

I would of said the Vauxhall Omega - but alas fuel economy isn't it's forte. The 3.2 is pimpin' though.
Baby Ferrari lol. Under 5000cc of displacement isnt a true car.
Really nice BMW there, Bladey! I'd go for it.
If you really like it, go and get it I would prefer more for those
"not cutted tail" models But thats not bad eather, you gonna save good moneys with that engine.
Some really helpful replies you're getting here Bladey. How can you tell that lfsforum is largely populated by kids who have never contributed towards, let alone paid for and run their own car?

For the BMW you posted, all I would mention is that I'm sure the 3-series compacts do not share the same suspension as the normal 3-series. The Compact is much inferior wrt the drive and handling, or so I remember reading at the time. If you want a rear drive Beemer, I'd suggest trying to stretch the budget to a conventional 3-series.

High insurance groups aren't so bad. My car is group 13 and the costs have plummeted as I get older, and I'm still in my twenties. Recently I got a quote for a group 19 car (y'know, just for when I win the lottery ) and was pleasantly surprised that it came in at well under four figures.
Quote from Bladerunner :Need advice people...the poor old Swifty is nearing the end of its days...no metal left underneath to weld any more patches to...brakes need complete replacement...shox on the way out...a bit of an oil leak (or ten!)...so now going to the big scrapyard in the sky

SO.....as a replacement I have my eye on THIS little beauty...what does people think? Price about right? A good car?...What???

Please let me know

Get it....dunno how about the price coz ive never messed around with pounds, but that car is a beautiful car....(one of the best looking cars, just beaten by the big 3s and some others, but still very beautiful).
GET IT as far as you can.
Troll Auto Trader, used car dealers, etc. You should find a good car in a low insurance group, old Saab anyone? Or if you want to be safe, buy a Volvo. My friends dad crashed one this morning. Left a Corsa crippled, it was drivsble, slightly dented front, engine was fine.
When you done your quote's, i take it you declared the engine? It would most likely put the price up abit, but at your age i doubt it would shoot up tbh. Even though i dont like the look of it, it is quite a nice car to drive, but not as nice as my big'un () but mine is an M so thats probably why .

The engines are strong on these. Seing as this one has had a 1.8 fitted, it may have replaced due to failure of the original. Whether this was down to the 1.6 being thrashed, or the hunt for more power (or maybe just a genuine breakdown!) i dont know but if you go to see the car, obviously check the engine's condition, but also check the gearbox and clutch for any sign's of sloppyness or wear. Also, check the clutches pressure plate. To do this, start the car in neutral, and slowly press/release the clutch. You need to listen out for a slight rattling noise. The best way to explain it is the sound of a bunch of ball bearings shaking round in a metal can. If there is that noise when the clutch is realesed (in neutral) then the pressure plate is kaput!

I would'nt imagine, that with that age and mileage, that there will be much rust (if any) on the car. Check the obvious places like arches and other panels, but a common place is the sills. If you can get to them, check BEHIND the sills facing inwards. This is a common place for them to rot, which then eats into the floorpan. Another not so common, yet still spoke of spot is the rear suspension mounts. This is not so common though so not much of a worry.

Hope i've helped.
Feel free to PM me if you need any more help bud.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=9624

To be honest for a relatively small car the figures arn't very appealing.

Group 10 insurance seems quite high aswell, the 1.6 golf Mk4 are only group 6, the 1.4 is only group 4 and they're pretty large cars.

I'd say if you were getting a BMW your aswell going for one of the bigger stronger engines if your going for something of this age. Though, i'm guessing you also like this BMW and it's not just a random car you've picked, but if it is theres pleanty of other cars that will cost you less in the long term (Especcially road tax...)
I love bmw, i do...just that...compact? Perhaps it's just me but i'm not used with that cut-off look...just doesn't look like bmw enough for me. Otherwise a marvellous car
Is that the Compact?

IIRC it has different rear suspensions from the standard version and handles less well. IMO the sedan also looks better but that's just my taste.
Quote from Bladerunner :SO.....as a replacement I have my eye on THIS little beauty...what does people think? Price about right? A good car?...What???

An interesting choice, mate. From what I can gather it's more of a E30 than E36 underneath (Interior, suspension and engine wise), which would put me off, since E36 is a more modern car (I'd try to find a 1.6-1.8 E36 sedan if I were you if Im honest)... but anyway... That pricetag looks ok for a that beemer, plus it looks quite clean and neat in all respects. Also, it being the entry point E36, I'd say it was never used by a "streetraceish chav", so it should be a nice replacement for your swifty

P.S: For some reason I instantly remembered song, which was written right in the Top Gear studio during star in a reasonably priced car a few years back, with lyrics going "When they rolled it off the track, and it turned out to be a hatchback" :P
Despite the fact that he says "would of" instead of "would have" I think I need to agree with Jak on this one. For that price I'd be snatching up a 1.8 Seat Leon Cupra
i'd save the money and buy a mini... you wanted a bmw anyways, why not go new and cheap at the same time?

My next motor??
(95 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG