The online racing simulator
Money or an interesting job?
(68 posts, started )

Poll : What would you choose?

Closed since :
A less paid, but interesting job with further opportunities
A well paid job but boring with obscure perspectives
Can't say
Why not try option two, then if it doesn't work out you can find option one. Better to regret what you have done than what you haven't, as the saying goes.

When I was travelling I picked up several crap jobs for peanuts, but had the time of my life.
As long as the "less money" is still enough to cover the bills and stuff, there's no reason not to opt for that. It's what my girlfriend did a few months ago and she hasn't regretted it for a second.

Although I'd be worried about the lack of a fixed contract since rent round here is a killer
Do you have anyone to support apart from yourself?
Do you have backup plans (basic living income possibility / crash place / savings) if number 2 fails?

If no and yes, why not give it a go?
Only thing I've found with jobs is that grass always looks greener in the field you are not in
#29 - SamH
I've had both fulfilling jobs and well-paid jobs. During the dotcom boom, I did have a bank-full but since the dotcom bust, I've opted very specifically for fulfilling jobs and jobs that make me happy. I actually suffer chronic depression and that was at its worst when I was earning $130K+/year.

These days I only take on work that I can do from home. I do quite a bit of graphic work on contract for a local label company and the occasional web development job when it pays well and doesn't go on too long. I had a few very "thin" years recently, but things are okay at the moment.

I've taken up quite a bit of voluntary charity work to fill the void since closing the CTRA - for a Gaza humanitarian aid agency and for a well-known children's charity that I've volunteered for since I was a schoolkid. I'd definitely rather feed my "heart" than my bank account. Exactly the opposite of what I thought would make me happy in life, when I left school!
im choosing to go into mechanics because it is somethign i enjoy and am resonably good at. ok its not greatly paid but ive seen too many people take well paid jobs and be extremly unhappy
I only work three days a week. Its a choice I made a long time ago and have never regreted it (especially when I was really ill and off work for a year - they paid me full pay for five months and half pay for another five. And never made any bones about reinstating me when I came back).

My annual salary is less than the national average, but I have a four day weekend to do with as I please.

Work is a con that has been perpetuated for far too long. Is there really any sane and rational reason (beyond personal obsession) why one person should do the same thing day in, day out?
Quote from nihil :Is there really any sane and rational reason (beyond personal obsession) why one person should do the same thing day in, day out?

How else does one expect to be competitive in the world wanking championships?

I'd love to work a 3 day week, but I'm a) not sure my employer would be understanding unless there was a medical reason for it and b) it's not finanically viable for me atm either. Money is in short enough supply as it is (relative to my current outgoings).
Quote from nihil :Work is a con that has been perpetuated for far too long. Is there really any sane and rational reason (beyond personal obsession) why one person should do the same thing day in, day out?

Yes there is. If you are not going to do it, and I am not, and he is not, and she is not, then who is? You are posting from a computer I assume. Where are you going to get that computer from if no one is willing to "do the same thing day in and day out?" You race LFS (I assume). How are you going to do that without a computer, without a controller, without an internet connection? You have to eat. How are you going to do that without working? You have to have shelter to live in. How to do that? You have to clothe yourself, how?

There is the solution to the problems of this con act of working. Just show up in public without clothing and you can get arrested for indecent exposure, free shelter, free food, no need for all those little things like computer, phone, cars, etc. that you need to work to get those things. Then again, if work is a con and you shouldn't have to do it, then neither should anyone else so there would be no one providing the tax moneys to shelter you and feed you in jail. So, what is the solution?
I have to defend nihil there.
He did not say "stop working", only do it 3/5 of the "standard" working times for europeans.

We are producing too much crap already, so the 3/5 guess may be what we need to keep a balance between supply and demand without the need to artificially create demand (advertising to convince you that you need "stuff").

My opinion is that consuming more does not make you happy (consuming at all does not make me happy though). However owning x times more handbags than one can carry is any wife's dream it seems.
Thanks for replies. I agree with most of you, guys.
Quote from gezmoor :Given that the only negative you've stated is boredom and not much of a career path, I voted money.

Well, in my case the career was a problem too: the company is likely to shrink this year, because their service is overpriced, and it's labour cost is always overestimated. When I quit, they had just 1 project, that was a total diseaster. Even if they cope with this somehow and get some orders, I could hardly get a promotion. I would be promoted to a department director, but the one we had was a moron: a nerdy guy with poor communication skills, poor professional knowledge and a habit to speak like business consulting language. He was like living in a parallel reality. I guess the boss needed the company just to work as it worked and a controllable department director who would be pleased with the situation. For some months I used to think it was miscomunication, bad luck and this guy's flattery that took him to this position, but now I see he was the best choice.

Looks like if there's deception somewhere in a business, it needs more deception elsewhere: client's deception or self-deception makes the need to deceive the employees. (Well, in most talks with the boss we had him telling us that he valued us, some good wishes and things of common sense.)

Quote :In an ideal world, I'd rather have job satisfaction. But given the reality of the world I'd rather gain my "life satisfaction" outside my job and just use work as a means to an end. Even so, I wouldn't put up with a sh*t job for money, I have my limits.

Totally agree.
Work to live, don't live to work.
Quote from durbster :Why not try option two, then if it doesn't work out you can find option one. Better to regret what you have done than what you haven't, as the saying goes.

Or try option 1 first. Atleast if it's really boring then you can move to your fun and shitty paid job.
I'd say you probably want to do 1 first, get a little money saved up for future retirement and at that point you can go off and take on a crappy paying job that makes you happy.
Id prefer a well payed job.With enough money you can do as many interesting things you can...
Whatever becomes a routine gets boring so there is no point looking for a job which is going to keep you always interested... this isn't going to happen.

But anyway it’s a choice that depends... it depends on how reachable are these further opportunities the more interesting job offers...
Voted for option 2 just because I have a track record of not being able to hold any job that doesn't motivate me at all. Since graduating in early '04 my longest time in one place has been 1,5 months and have passed multiple oppoturnities for well paid jobs. Money-wise I'm doing just fine, don't have loans or any major bills apart from rent, getting more money to buy stuff that I don't need is just irrelevant.

I don't really think there is any job that could make you happy, good job maybe makes you less frustrated and allows you forget that you're just being a tool for your employer 8-12h a day.
I wouldn't say no job can make you happy. When I actually get to do the things I went to school for, I enjoy my job. There have been mornings when I wake up and look forward to going to work and writing code. Problem is, 99% of my job is either bullshit work, or stuff I have no education to do whatsoever, but they ask me to do it because I tend to be able to figure it out better than people who actually went to school for it. I'd honestly be pretty happy writing code every day.
Jobs always have their ups and downs. All I want is for my future career to have more ups than downs. As long as I can get by and still have some money left for fun/saving up I'll be happy.
Quote from danowat :Work to live, don't live to work.

Absolutely.

Quote :I'd love to work a 3 day week, but I'm a) not sure my employer would be understanding unless there was a medical reason for it and b) it's not finanically viable for me atm either.

I jobshare, so my employers get a very good deal: the combined experience of two employees for the price of one. It works very well, though I have to admit that daily repetition isn't all bad if pleasure (in its many forms...) is the aim!

Which mrodgers is my answer to your conundrum; if no one wants to do it, maybe its worth evaluating whether its worth doing anyway. If the only compulsion to complete something is "that's just the way it is", what's wrong with saying "Screw it. I've got better things to do...."
I voted for 2 as well. What would you become by staying with option 1? Absolutely nothing, at least not any better than yesterday, UNLESS you're really motivated and take the free office time to pursue your own goals. Otherwise, once the company goes down, or otherwise can't employ you anymore, you'll be totally out of options. Especially if you get used to being paid much.

Going option 2, you stay somewhat fresh everyday and get to learn things you do want to learn (right?) That way if and when new opportunity comes you'll be ready for it. As long as the money's OK... take the 1/4 lower salary as investment in yourself.

But that's just the whole point, I think: yourself. I always try to work for myself either in work or in school. My current job pays a bit lower than average for my education level, but is as fullfilling as any job (writing racing game physics anyone?) Most importantly, I wasn't even educated/employed to code, but I do anyway and they let me. So basically I get paid 2/3 of my work's worth, but 100% of it invests in myself and for this, I'm very content.
In these times of recession, where you're lucky to have a job, I think it's better to get paid as much as possible while you can. You might not enjoy the work, but you will enjoy after work, when you can afford the luxuries you want. Besides, most high-paying jobs are fairly interesting. It's usually really low-paid stuff (factory floor, number crunching, etc.) that's monotonous and boring in my experience.
#49 - MR_B
Option 2 would be my initial response.

But as much as I'd love to do option #2 for the next few years (I sell and get to play with the best cameras around- Southend Jessops) I cannot live on £5k a year....

So I'd probably say option 1, but work for say, 4 days a week and volunteer for something you love.
Quote from danowat :Work to live, don't live to work.

Well said. I have had the same job (mechanical engineer) for the past 14 years (today was my anniversary). The work is a bit tedious and monotonous at times, but there are occasions where I get interesting projects and I get to travel a small amount for my job. I'm paid pretty well, so no complaints there.

When my wife and I had children, my outlook on my job changed completely. Before I made an effort to do a good job for the sake of doing a good job. Now, I make that same effort so not only can I be proud of my work, but I can afford to give my family a nice life.

Occasionally, there have been opportunities to take jobs that were more fulfilling but didn't pay as well. I chose to turn those down because my #1 priority is my wife, son, and daughter. I do have an opportunity to develop a business that will be extremely fun and interesting to me and will pay very well compared to now. I know that opportunity will only enhance my ability to have fun with my family. Work to live, not live to work.

Money or an interesting job?
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG