The online racing simulator
Money or an interesting job?
(68 posts, started )

Poll : What would you choose?

Closed since :
A less paid, but interesting job with further opportunities
A well paid job but boring with obscure perspectives
Can't say
Quit them both and get a new job in a different state each week like this guy.
Quote from RobbyMac :Quit them both and get a new job in a different state each week like this guy.

well, that guy seems to have chosen the second option and obviously being very happy with it...

I voted for the second option too. I once had a job which started to eat me up from the inside after about 7 years...
So I took the courage and quit without having something new waiting in line.

Today I have a job for the first time in my life where I'm starting to think: 'man, I think I would like to grow old in this place'
At the moment I am very much doing option 2. I work hard every day with very little financial reward - however I love what I do and it's all part of the bigger plan for me. Work like this for 1-2 years (I'm about 9 months in) until I have a good enough portfolio to move into a higher paid job in the same field.
How many folks posting the opinions here are married with kids? It definitely changes with that.

I hate my job, and it doesn't pay well. Problem is, neither does anything else out there unless I pack up and move far away. But I have a wife, kids, and family to think of too. It's easy to pack up and move away by yourself, but when you have kids and a strong sense of family, it's a bit more difficult to take the kids away from the grandparents and the grandparents away from the kids.
Isn't the idea to keep the grandparents AWAY from the kids?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Isn't the idea to keep the grandparents AWAY from the kids?

Why? They can help look after the children so you can go out and fu... I mean, have a good time with your wife without any interruptions.
Haha.

Okay up till the age of 12, but then the "Oh my haven't you grown" thing gets old really quick.
Quote from Bob Smith :Why? They can help look after the children so you can go out and fu... I mean, have a good time with your wife without any interruptions.

Er, we have door locks on the interior doors and plenty of toys in their bedrooms for that....
Quote from mrodgers :How many folks posting the opinions here are married with kids? It definitely changes with that.

I hate my job, and it doesn't pay well. Problem is, neither does anything else out there unless I pack up and move far away. But I have a wife, kids, and family to think of too. It's easy to pack up and move away by yourself, but when you have kids and a strong sense of family, it's a bit more difficult to take the kids away from the grandparents and the grandparents away from the kids.

Well, the main idea of many people who posted here is that if you're yong and have nobody to support, get as many skill and experience points as you can, rather than money.

In the department I left, there are two guys who are younger than me and single, graduated last year. Both are also pissed off with what they do, but stay. I believe they'd better earn experience and skills at this time.

Also they need to learn how to behave at work, how to propose things and convince others, what to do if others do wrong things, also how not to get pissed off and to stay calm, and so on.
voted 2..

my situation is- just got my apprentice thingy, and i think you all think its very low paid, but here in norway, it isnt..atleast not where im going..

im gonna start working at a truck garage, repairing Volvo trucks and busses, one of my dreams, so the job makes me happy, and is avarage paid
#61 - Juls
It happened several times for me. In such situation I quit. Life can give you unexpected gifts...good or bad.

Everything looks steady and peaceful, but every 10 seconds, there is an incredible opportunity somewhere. And these opportunities never occur in boring, frozen places.

You may find something worse, and you may find something better. That's life. Life is movement. If you move more, you have very good chance to find a really good life. In french, still-life paintings are called "nature morte"= dead nature.
Thanks to all for posting here, I really appreciate your feedback, both supportive and critical.

Now some news. I've changed a job this week, the 3rd time this year. After quitting the 1st company, the boring one, I worked at the 2nd, let's call it the evil co. Salaries were low and the bosses were mistreating everyone, but it was temporary for me, and I learned a lot. Then I moved to another city and came to the 3rd company, of 2 founders and 4 employees including me. Everything was fine untill we were out of orders and cash. The founders said we needed to find different jobs in 3 weeks, and so I did. A little bit sad - I liked it a lot, but I've found a very good offer.

Needless to say, my CV now looks a lot better than in March, and salary is much higher than in the boring company.

So... it paid off.

A curious story that one should take the opportunities
Wednesday, I've been to a company that needed Python programmer. They required Django, that I only started learning recently, but I decided that it's better to try anyway: maybe I could impress them with other skills, experience, etc.

I was straight and told that started trying Python this spring, and hadn't worked with Django for production. They asked to solve some twisted problems on programming, then we talked a little on what I know and what I worked with, and in the end they were really quite impressed. We agreed to contact Friday.

Next day I was invited to an interview, Friday too. Ok, why not try, - I thought, - I could do that just for training. So I came and talked to them, solved some tasks, and so on. In the end of the interview they offered me a position, a good salary, and I could start as soon as I wanted.

Few hours later I got rejected by the Python company. (Prolly, they weren't as impressed as I imagined). That was quite polite of them to write me, so that I hadn't to wait&guess.

Never negate an opportunity.
Interesting job of course.
We spend the half life in our jobs so, if we don't enjoy our job, we don't enjoy the half part of our lifes.
Quote from Blackout :A job is everything.

According to that i would got to 1, since i tested OP's second one and i found myself unemployed for an half a year, that was tough time. I don't want to go through it again, so i'd stayed for the one i got atm until i got somethin "not black" on sight.
Having recently seen the effects a boring, hard, stressful job can take on someone, I'd pick fun job over money.

My case in point is my Mum, she's been working at the same company for nigh-on 30 years now. She manages accounts, sits behind the desk and working 12-hour days was not uncommon for her. About 2 months ago she started feeling really strange. She had absolutely no energy, no enthusiasm for anything and felt completely un-connected with everyone, even her closest family and friends. She was a completely different person. It got so bad she got signed off work for a month by the doctor, but she only got worse so now she's off work for 6 months and spending some time in the Priory. Thankfully, she is getting better, but it's going to take all of those 6 months, if not more, for her to recover fully. At which point she's going to quit that job and find something she loves doing.

This all came about because of the stress of work just building up over the years until it finally boiled over. She was in a state for a couple of weeks, and having seen first-hand the effect a job like hers can have on someone, I know now that my main priority is doing something I enjoy.
imo most jobs are pretty much the same thing every day and no matter what it is you'd get bored of it after a while
Quote from BigPeBe :Ain't the first one already the dream job. You can hang there doing nothing surfing teh internet and getting paid for doing nothing.

damn straight...
I thought I would add my 2c.

Going from experience, a job is a job in the end. You can find a job you love like nothing else, but do it for 40+ hours a week and for a couple of years and I will be surprised if there is anyone who isn’t bored of it. That is not to say it doesn’t offer challenges anymore (new projects/promotion etc) but more that it becomes mostly mundane / same old same old. Ofcourse I would love a job that interests me and challenges my knowledge and lets me learn new things and also pays well. However out of the two options of one or the other, I would go for the more pay boring job. Reason being this: You need a work life balance in which you have time to work and time to relax and do what you want. If there is nothing really to do at work then it wont stress you out (though may lead to extreme boredom at times lol) but if it pays well you will be financially secure (again less stress) and able to do what you want outside of work which from my perspective weighs in favour of life not work. I have had an interesting job but unfortunately it paid so little I could just about survive but couldn’t do anything in the evening or weekends so they were spent sat at home now though I earn enough to be able go out at weekends, see friends etc that though my new job is less interesting I am happier.

We spend a lot of time in work yes and hopefully you enjoy it but to pick one I would favour the more pay for the advantages you get outside of work.

Money or an interesting job?
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG