The online racing simulator
Detailed real car specs
(24 posts, started )
Detailed real car specs
I've been looking around for quite a long time searching for real car's specs, but I haven't found a car with all the setup specs available.

So, I'm looking for stuff like gear ratios, spring and damping rates, as well as brake power and bias.
In autodata there are a few things, like camber, toe and factory tire pressure. On some forum I could find several car's gear ratios, weight distribution, but no spring or damping rates, not talking about brake force and bias. I don't know if it's possible to get such detailed data, hope dies last.
For gear ratios, you could try Carfolio.com. I have no clue about suspension info though.
Quote from hrtburnout :For gear ratios, you could try Carfolio.com. I have no clue about suspension info though.

On most sites theres only the final and top gear ratio. On some VW forums I could find the ratios by searching for transmission code, but the rest I couldn't.
#4 - Bean0
Enthusiast sites would be your best bet I think.

A few 106/Saxo sites list the full gear ratios of the commonly fitted boxes.
I've come across suspension/diff info for Porsches as well, mostly on owners club type sites.
Quote from Bean0 :Enthusiast sites would be your best bet I think.
A few 106/Saxo sites list the full gear ratios of the commonly fitted boxes for example.

Yeah, I could find ratios of CRX and Civics, and some spring rates, but I'm not sure if they are factory numbers, or some aftermarket stuff.

Best ones would be cars around 75bhp, Polo, Punto like cars, or Corsas maybe.
Quote from Bob Smith :Some searching would have proved useful: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=23657
For anything else, I just google. Any info on springs, camber, brake balance, and others, is very hard to come by.

Yeah, thats why I asked for some help hehe I visited so many honda forums, I almost know all the Civic's gear ratio and transmission code...
Brake balance and power I might get from come car services where they test the cars for don't know whats that in english, but for the spring and damping rates I'm clueless.
I've come across some damper velocity-force response curves before, but never anything vehicle specific. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well not waste your time on that front.

Spring rates can be found, your chances are much higher if, as some other members have posted, there is an active community of people tinkering with such cars. Anything popular for tuning should have it's stock spring rates posted somewhere, and if not, you should still be able to find the rates for some after-market springs, so you know the stock rates are somewhat softer than the softest of those. All this is only so useful though, as you still need to convert those spring rates into effective wheel rates, and you've no hope of finding a motion ratio posted, IMO. For certain suspension tyres, e.g. McPherson strut, the motion ratio is likely to be very close to 1.0, so you can just use the raw spring rates in those cases.
Found some exact numbers on a site. The 09 WRX Impreza has 38/34 N/mm spring rate (F/R), the '09 CTS-V has 68 N/mm at the front, and for example a '98 Golf 1.6 has 22 N/mm on the front, a 03 Golf with the 130hp PDTDI has 28.
Trying those in LFS, it looks kinda unrealistic, I mean 22 N/mm on the XFG even with the highest ride height (more would make it offroad) is well.. I don't know. It knocks up even under braking.
Anyway, I think I won't use real life data for the suspension. Don't ask what I need it for :P
Still nothing about the damping rate tho..
Quote from RevengeR :Trying those in LFS, it looks kinda unrealistic, I mean 22 N/mm on the XFG even with the highest ride height (more would make it offroad) is well.. I don't know. It knocks up even under braking.
Anyway, I think I won't use real life data for the suspension. Don't ask what I need it for :P

It doesn't seem that far fetching, 22 front, 20 rear, with damping of 3.5/2.5 and ride hight 0.176/.170. (anti-roll is unchanged from Default), handles like I'd expect a normal hatch to handle. A touch rolly polly, but doesn't appear all that unrealistic.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It doesn't seem that far fetching, 22 front, 20 rear, with damping of 3.5/2.5 and ride hight 0.176/.170. (anti-roll is unchanged from Default), handles like I'd expect a normal hatch to handle. A touch rolly polly, but doesn't appear all that unrealistic.

Well, a '00 Polo 1.4 feels a lot stiffer. With those settings it knocks the suspension even in a slight turn at moderate speed. Also under braking. Doesn't matter, ill just stick to my custom setup.
22N/mm on that car gives something around 1.35 to 1.4Hz, which sounds about right for a basic shopping trolley, especially back in the late 90s.

It is unlikely that the same settings would work as intended in LFS. The real car likely has a lot more unspung mass (thus reducing the load on the suspension), and some mild anti-dive geometry for hard braking.
Quote from Bob Smith :22N/mm on that car gives something around 1.35 to 1.4Hz, which sounds about right for a basic shopping trolley, especially back in the late 90s.

It is unlikely that the same settings would work as intended in LFS. The real car likely has a lot more unspung mass (thus reducing the load on the suspension), and some mild anti-dive geometry for hard braking.

Yeah, that sounds right. On my way home I was thinking about the same, didn't realize the the lack of such complex stuff in LFS at first. Also did some zigzag move with the Polo, and man it is soft. On a hot summer day with normal tires it could knock up the suspension for sure.
Quote from RevengeR :Found some exact numbers on a site. The 09 WRX Impreza has 38/34 N/mm spring rate (F/R), the '09 CTS-V has 68 N/mm at the front, and for example a '98 Golf 1.6 has 22 N/mm on the front, a 03 Golf with the 130hp PDTDI has 28.
Trying those in LFS, it looks kinda unrealistic, I mean 22 N/mm on the XFG even with the highest ride height (more would make it offroad) is well.. I don't know. It knocks up even under braking.

what do you need it for?
I got quite a bit of info on the '92 Mazda 323 GTR handy.

Making it in rF at the moment.
Quote from RevengeR :Trying those in LFS, it looks kinda unrealistic, I mean 22 N/mm on the XFG even with the highest ride height (more would make it offroad) is well.. I don't know. It knocks up even under braking.

It appears that if you go anywhere near RL value, you'll start seeing some crazy looking stuff. E.g. if you take a car with such a set, up the straight before T1 on BL1, the front suspensions are so heavily extended that it looks more a monster truck than a car

Incidentally I took a peek and inspected a certain set made by a popular person, you will notice he used springs that are supposedly much stiffer than the real thing, I mean like 1.4 times more so. Would be interesting to check his other sets against RL specs.

I wonder if that's just the consequence of LFS lacking some important bits in simulation of suspensions, I certainly hope so
#17 - Byku
Recently i've been watching BMI, and they've showed some data about suspension of Civic type R 98'.
Front:
Springs(kgf/mm) 4.5
Damper(kgf) (full) 231
(short) 142
Stabilizer(inches) 0.98
Rear:
Springs(kgf/mm) 2.5-4.5
Damper(kgf) (full) 100
(short) 59
Stabilizer(inches) 0.91

Anybody would know what will be the conversion?
Would be possible to calculate stabilizer so it will be in the same units as in LFS?

Edit1. Searching internet for answers. full short means bump rebound damping?
What might mean 2,5-4,5 for rear springs? I mean... that it is customizable?

Edit2. So:
1 kgf/mm = 9,81 N/mm
0,98(inches) ARB without knowing anything else is giving around 96,9N/mm(thanks to VHPA)... that's rather too much for a hot hatch?

Edit3.
Still have slight problems, how to convert damper values(kgf) to LFS values(Ns/mm)? What does this short, long means? Bump, rebound?

Edit4. So... springs seem to be correct, the rest.. well.. i experimented . Drives quiet nicely
Attached files
XFG_4.Civic TypeR.set - 132 B - 940 views
Quote from Byku :Edit1. Searching internet for answers. full short means bump rebound damping?
What might mean 2,5-4,5 for rear springs? I mean... that it is customizable?

Mostly likely that is referring to the range of values for progressive springs, where they are 2.5 at full extension, and 4.5 at full compression. The stiffness increase could well not be linear throughout the range either, so it's not clear what value would work as a good average. Try something around 50 to 75% of maximum stiffness for use in LFS.

Quote from Byku :Edit2. So:
1 kgf/mm = 9,81 N/mm
0,98(inches) ARB without knowing anything else is giving around 96,9N/mm(thanks to VHPA)... that's rather too much for a hot hatch?

Two things to consider.
1. Without the other dimensions, that stiffness value could be out by a lot. The outer diameter of the bar is the most influential number, but it's not enough for obtain a usefully accurate number, IMO.
2. That's the raw rate of the bar. When installed in the car, it will likely have a motion ratio. For an MX-5 that's about 1.8:1, so you need to reduce the rate by that value squared, taking your example stiffness with my example ratio, the ARB wheelrate drops to 29,9M/mm.

Quote from Byku :Edit3.
Still have slight problems, how to convert damper values(kgf) to LFS values(Ns/mm)? What does this short, long means? Bump, rebound?

You haven't been given complete units. Try kgfs/mm, and see if the converted figures give reasonable damping coefficients. If not, pick other units (time is likely seconds, if these values are indeed describing the gradient, rather than absoluted values, so you could try kgfs/cm or kgfs/m). I don't understand the long/short part either, I've not seen them used in this context before.
#19 - Byku
Thanks a lot . I'll try to update that setup today in the morning, it's rather late at night in Poland .
Quote from NightShift :I wonder if that's just the consequence of LFS lacking some important bits in simulation of suspensions, I certainly hope so

I think I found out why: road cars have preloaded springs so they don't extend too much regardless of their being soft.
#21 - Byku
Watched Best Motoring recently and tuned Integra Type R had "24kg" rear springs. If i calculated this correctly, it should be around 235,4 N/mm in LFS! Now that... is a lot? Isn't it? So LFS has rather limited setup options I suppose? ^^ Sry for bump btw, i was just curious for Your opinions.

Or maybe my calculations were wrong?
Attached images
vlcsnap-1625894.png
#22 - Byku
Tried to calculate from kgfs/mm to lbfs/in. I hope that 1kgfs/mm is 0,0868 lbfs/mm? :P
Don't forget there's still the motion ratio to take into account, before you can put the values into LFS.
All I know in tuning is that if you want to go faster around the corner, you want a tiny little bit of oversteer. Not too much. Also, make your tires have more air than less air so they can help grab the road. Another thing is about camber, don't put it extremely high because that causes understeer. The lower the car, the stiffer the suspension should be. One thing I do to save weight (this sort of works) is give myself less gas in the car. Kind of works. You still might be better off with other websites.

Detailed real car specs
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG