The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
Quote from UncleBenny :Ran home for lunch and got it all installed. Took the Radical out for a couple laps at Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. The tracks definitely feel awesome, they actually have some character with all the bumps and everything. The weird thing was the Radical seemed too easy to drive, maybe the default setup is just really understeery though? I obviously need more time with the game to made some more accurate judgements, those are just the first couple things I thought of thought. The feeling I got from the game was definitely not the same as LFS, it actually reminded me a lot more of how the cars in GTR feel(not that I'm saying GTR is up to iRacing standards, because I know its not). I'm looking forward to getting up to speed in iRacing though, I know driving on the limit is going to feel a lot different than slow-poking around like I just was.

Now my main problem is I'm really hungry. I forgot to eat so I only had time to grab two slices of bread on my way out the door.

maybe we can go and practise in some series practise sessions, they work well
Quote from titanLS :Be sure to set your in-game FFB strength at between say, 9 and 15. I think the default is 12 and I've found it feels better even a little lower than that.

I've got it down to 6 or 7, it a compromise between still getting the bumps and just feeling the tyres - still nowhere near optimal... Dunno, maybe I just expect too much...

Quote from EliteAti :maybe we can go and practise in some series practise sessions, they work well

I'll be running pretty much all races today, it's the last week for Rookies before the promotions, and I want to get a licence... Can you go straight to C if you've got 4.0?
Quote from UncleBenny :Ran home for lunch and got it all installed. Took the Radical out for a couple laps at Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. The tracks definitely feel awesome, they actually have some character with all the bumps and everything. The weird thing was the Radical seemed too easy to drive, maybe the default setup is just really understeery though? I obviously need more time with the game to made some more accurate judgements, those are just the first couple things I thought of thought. The feeling I got from the game was definitely not the same as LFS, it actually reminded me a lot more of how the cars in GTR feel(not that I'm saying GTR is up to iRacing standards, because I know its not). I'm looking forward to getting up to speed in iRacing though, I know driving on the limit is going to feel a lot different than slow-poking around like I just was.

Now my main problem is I'm really hungry. I forgot to eat so I only had time to grab two slices of bread on my way out the door.

With a stable setup, the radical is the best car to introduce anyone to iracing atm. My grandpa after 30 minutes was doing lap after lap around watkins glen in the radical. It took him a while to get used to shifting and braking, and after he got the controls down I was really impressed.

Its very easy to drive under the limit, whereas some cars like the mazda and skippy will still spin even if you're at 7/10ths just because you aren't driving the setup properly.

Once you push the radical to 11/10ths like it needs to be its not easy anymore, but its so much fun amidst the frustration.
Quote from UncleBenny :The weird thing was the Radical seemed too easy to drive, maybe the default setup is just really understeery though?

Yeah, the Radical definitely feels like a tractor at first, but once you have it set up to suit you it is an absolute blast to drive. The new default track-specific sets are usually a good place to start, the advance sets pushing less than the basic defaults.
Yeah, it didn't even feel that horrible, I was just expecting to kick the rear end out and instead I was plowing the gravel traps.
Get that rear wing down to <17 and it's a different story, especially at places like Sebring where the bumps try to kill you.
dam i didnt read the bit about a credit card Ahh well!
Quote from Jordan2007 :dam i didnt read the bit about a credit card Ahh well!

Many European folks are getting really confused about the meaning of credit card.

CC in US means CC, bank card, debit card, prepaid visa etc. Any piece of plastic that can transfer money is considered a "credit card."

Its just used for validation, but will be charged if you don't cancel your subscription by the end of the month.
...except in the UK most debit cards are things like Solo / Electron / Maestro, whereas only a Visa Debit debit card will work.
Quote from Jakg :...except in the UK most debit cards are things like Solo / Electron / Maestro, whereas only a Visa Debit debit card will work.

At least Finnish Visa Electrons work fine with iRacing.
If it's a Visa Electron it should work - I always thought they were just Electrons *embarrased face*
I saw a mail from neteler too (i use it for online poker) that you can get a virtual prepaid mastercard with them for free. I think i will do that, i don't like it my creditcard is monthly charged instead of everything written off at once and that it is free is even better.
Anybody know why iRacing is in maintenance right now and how long it is supposed to take? Apparantly I missed the announcement.
Quote from Linsen :Anybody know why iRacing is in maintenance right now and how long it is supposed to take? Apparantly I missed the announcement.

I never saw any announcements. I want to drive
Quote from spanks :I never saw any announcements. I want to drive

So I'm about to leave work and I'm going to get home and I won't even be able to drive because their website is under maintenance? Good thing I got my voucher for free. Otherwise I'd be more annoyed than I am now.
i need a computer that can run this and the money to pay for it :/
Quote from UncleBenny :So I'm about to leave work and I'm going to get home and I won't even be able to drive because their website is under maintenance? Good thing I got my voucher for free. Otherwise I'd be more annoyed than I am now.

Its probably all your fault
Yeah that's what all you LFS haters get!
They're never down for very long when they don't announce it. Usually. Maybe. Hopefully.
Quote from bbman :I'll be running pretty much all races today, it's the last week for Rookies before the promotions, and I want to get a licence... Can you go straight to C if you've got 4.0?

Nope, you advance licences one level at the time, but you can race next level already if you have +4.0 SR. This means you can race Mazda and Silverado with D-licence if your safety rating is high enough.

About force feedback, it just takes some experimenting to get them right, even different driver versions can have slightly different feel.
Quote from titanLS :They're never down for very long when they don't announce it. Usually. Maybe. Hopefully.

Its back :]
Quote from Matrixi :I guess we've been playing a whole different sim?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGrqebP-xGU&fmt=18

Heh - no kidding.

I had a lot to say about Jakg's "opinion" of his go with 30 mins of iRacing, but I better hold back.

(although that was the most uninformed spontaneously ignorant "review" I've ever read :P)

Quote from Jertje :In that regard, the Legends car is a far better introduction to oval racing in iRacing than the Solstice is to road racing.

Heh, I can't get enough of the Legends with a road setup... Kind of gives a whole new perspective on throttle steer!

The absolute only downfall in my opinion right now to iRacing is diversity in vehicles, and that is changing all the time. The turbocharged Solstice would be a blast for instance

I left both LFS and iRacing for a few months to do other things, and came back to them both recently - at least to practice. There really is no comparision in physics and really in FFB as well. I do find it strange to call iRacing's graphics cartoony (which they kind of are I suppose), when driving at South City or Fern Bay looks just fecking like iRacing, but with much less detail.... Personally I find it much more "cartoony" to have detached suspension arms and missing suspension components on a car

If you've ever driven a car around the limit, iRacing will be intuitive for you. In fact, it really goes to show me just how screwed up LFS's setup options have made the sim - it's likely really hampered decent physics advancements. The fact that you have to use the most ridiculous setup to be competitive in a "race" in LFS is in fact an issue that contributes to some people not taking LFS seriously, because the way the fastest people run the car in LFS makes it behave really weird, yet really fast.

If you can't see in less than 30 mins that iRacing's vehicle dynamics are really rather superior to those of LFS, then you're probably stupid . (No offence to the stupid intended)
You forget that LFS is not finished and is, in terms of development time, resources and money, far behind that of iRacing. LFS will have detachable components.. eventually.
How the hell could I forget that?

Oh wait... iRacing isn't finished either!11shiftone

edit: I didn't mean detachable components BTW, I meant bad rendering where things don't look proper. I'm also not anti-LFS. How long was I here defending LFS to idiots? I still like it, and now that something actually better has been made, I can admit it and enjoy it instead of jumping in with the usual round of pro-LFS BS defense phrases.
Ran the Solstice and Radical some more. The cars just didn't feel attached to the road for some reason and I had no feeling for what the car was going to do. Decided to put on my headphones and cranked the volume way up, boy did that make a difference. Once I could get a feel for what the tires were doing with the headphones on it was like I was playing a whole different game, I was sliding the cars all over the place and could actually catch it now, was a lot of fun.

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG