The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
Lets get ontopic back again, is this only Test Drive subscription or can you actually race online? I've seen here many leagues, but they need registration and shiz like that, isnt there any pick - up - racing at all?
Basically you're going to get the car + a 1 month subscription just as you had paid for them. It's a way for them to give away 'demo licenses' without having to take back the statement about no demos
Quote from EliteAti :Lets get ontopic back again, is this only Test Drive subscription or can you actually race online? I've seen here many leagues, but they need registration and shiz like that, isnt there any pick - up - racing at all?

I think the month is a normal month subscription except you get the radical too...which is unfair but awesome for the new guys :].

First thing I'd do is practice until you aren't crashing every other turn. Then choose the series you want to be a part of. You're rookie, so solstice or legend car, and then go to the select sessions button on top. Once there choose open practice with other people there and have some fun.
Yes sorry mate, my interenet is currently goosed so i'm on dial up and cannot race I've nothing better to do than talk utter rubbish on forums.

There is no pick up racing in iRacing, you have to enter an official race, or do an official time trial. There are practise servers that can be joined though.

May I ask exactly what you get with this Radical promotion. Is it just the Radical car and one track only? I'm thinking without the iraing license needed to drive the radical you will not be able to race with others? I'm not really sure mate.
Quote from spanks :I think the month is a normal month subscription except you get the radical too...which is unfair but awesome for the new guys :].

First thing I'd do is practice until you aren't crashing every other turn. Then choose the series you want to be a part of. You're rookie, so solstice or legend car, and then go to the select sessions button on top. Once there choose open practice with other people there and have some fun.

cheers man, i was thinking just the same
Quote :Please fill in the form below to register your interest in a virtual test drive of a Radical SR8, courtesy of iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations. You will be sent an email which will include one unique promotional code, a link and instructions to redeem the code for a free one-month trial subscription to the iRacing.com service, including basic content and the Radical SR8 and Silverstone.

Basic content includes:

Cars
Pontiac Solstice
Legends

Tracks

Lanier National Speedway
Lime Rock Park
Oxford Plains Speedway
Summit Point Raceway
South Boston Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Basically that's all content you need for full rookie season on road and oval, including "Advanced Rookie" level that allows changing setups and unrestricted (faster and more awesome) version of Legends Ford.
Quote from Crommi :Basic content includes:

Cars
Pontiac Solstice
Legends

Tracks

Lanier National Speedway
Lime Rock Park
Oxford Plains Speedway
Summit Point Raceway
South Boston Speedway
Lowe's Motor Speedway
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Basically that's all content you need for full rookie season on road and oval, including "Advanced Rookie" level that allows changing setups and unrestricted (faster and more awesome) version of Legends Ford.

Yes, that and Silverstone. It's a good simulator, but it's not worth the $20/month for me. Actually, i still like LFS a lot, it can compete with iRacing (which is something i didn't expect reading some of the threads about how users think of LFS development). I'll play it some this month, but will stick to LFS. But nice from Radical to give people the chance to try iRacing.
Crommi, that's not bad at all really considering we had to pay was it $25 for Silverstone and $15 for the Radical.
Alien T. - so you're saying that if I were to renew my iRacing subscription, I would still "own" the SR8 and Silverstone? That's a pretty good deal, IMO. And if you subscribe for a year, its $8/mo. after discounts. That's less than most people pay for Netflix here, and I've got no interest in the latter.

As to the sim itself, having played it some more, I'm really getting into it. I've only been running Rookie Solstice on LRP, and the car just feels so alive! The steering is buzzing with feedback, and you can definitely feel the weight of the car a lot more than in LFS. The slides are harder to correct, but that's probably due to the tires having less lateral grip than in LFS...as they should. All in all, I think it requires more concentration compared to LFS to just drive at normal pace without crashing, let alone going fast. The graphics still suck, and the multiplayer isn't as good as in LFS, but people seem to take their racing more seriously and don't crash everyone in T1, which is nice The races are longer than average LFS races, so running them every hour isn't too bad...gives a bit of a break.
I'm glad you're liking it mate

As to whether you will get to keep the Radical and silverstone after the 1 month I really don't know, it would be real nice for the new guys if you did. Maybe check out the Radical website see if it mentions anything there?
Quote from Speedy Pro :Alien T. - so you're saying that if I were to renew my iRacing subscription, I would still "own" the SR8 and Silverstone? That's a pretty good deal, IMO. And if you subscribe for a year, its $8/mo. after discounts. That's less than most people pay for Netflix here, and I've got no interest in the latter.

You also get part of the monthly fee refunded in credits that can be used for purchasing new content. Division championship for all series apart from rookie category can also be handy way to cover some of those expenses, even 1st place on season time-trial standings net you 15$ worth of credits.
Quote from Crommi :You also get part of the monthly fee refunded in credits that can be used for purchasing new content. Division championship for all series apart from rookie category can also be handy way to cover some of those expenses, even 1st place on season time-trial standings net you 15$ worth of credits.

Hehe, that may be a possibility for you mate with your approahing 4k iRating For me I have to sell my body to pay for things in iRacing.

Nice iRating anyway mate

I wonder who's got the top iRating amongst the LFS chaps?
Quote from AlienT. :Hehe, that may be a possibility for you mate with your approahing 4k iRating For me I have to sell my body to pay for things in iRacing.

Nice iRating anyway mate

I wonder who's got the top iRating amongst the LFS chaps?

If its not George (in oval) I'd be surprised.

@Jakg: LOL!
Quote from EliteAti :Why people come to drift to a racing simulator? i just cant understand
oh well... i think that hes gonna drift alone there

Why not? You reckon wasting hundreds of euros on tires and mechanical parts in real life would be a far better deal?

Racing simulator this, racing simulator that.. like a simulator that recreates proper car physics should only be used for racing when you can use it for real driving education.
#92 - Jakg
Quote from EliteAti :Why people come to drift to a racing simulator? i just cant understand
oh well... i think that hes gonna drift alone there

If a sim accurately recreates a rwd car, then you SHOULD be able to drift, or at least powerslide it - if you can't then something is fundamentally wrong with the physics.

You can do it irl...

@ Matrixi - Seems we must be playing different games
Quote from Jakg :It doesn't feel... right at all - i.e. the cars seem to be very uncommunicative, and the whole understeer thing feels weird. The tracks and cars are uninteresting, and the physics just don't feel right (i.e. the cars seem to snap way too much, and get into an uncontrollable slide - wheres the balancing? Even in a high-powered slick car it IS possible to hold a slide, albeit for a short period of time...).

I had this initially. If you have a G25 set to less than 900 degrees then the steering is speed sensitive (which is stupid TBH). You have to trick the sim by turning your wheel enough so it think's you have 900 degrees otherwise, then you will get linear steering. Try that, then let me know if it feels better.
#94 - Jakg
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

(i hate things like that that dont actually tell you!)

Another thing that annoyed me about iR was the weird Ui - nK Pro started off looking like Access and now I have to PARK the car before I can even get to the bloody options?!
Quote from Jakg :GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

(i hate things like that that dont actually tell you!)

Another thing that annoyed me about iR was the weird Ui - nK Pro started off looking like Access and now I have to PARK the car before I can even get to the bloody options?!

And it SHOULD be like that.
#96 - Jakg
Why do i need to stop the car before I can change the FOV even when i'm offline - wtf?!
Quote from Jakg :Why do i need to stop the car before I can change the FOV even when i'm offline - wtf?!

So you don't lose control and say it has no balance.
#98 - Jakg
What? That makes no sense. Why do I have to pull over OFFLINE before I can even change control assignments?

Why do I have to close the sodding game, go back to Chrome and then re-open the game just to change cars?

Its just so clunky :X
Got the free demo. Make sure you give a good amount of time for downloading - especially the "updates" which take far longer to downgrade than the actual program!

I'm no LFS expert - a few hours/week for the last month or so. I'm really no iRacing expert - about 45 minutes last night at Limerock and Laguna Seca mostly in the Solstice with a breif stint in the radical. Initial impressions:

Driving - iRacing seems to give a better feel for the car. You can really feel when the rear end starts to kick out and correct accordingly. It's much more progressive. Maybe a bit too progressive? That said, when you get to a certain point, it appears to be uncorrectable - again, limited experience so far. I give it credit for a better seat of the pants feel. Real brakes - no adjusting down brake pressure and stomping on the brakes.

Garage - I give them credit here. No unlimited setup options on the Solstice as it should be. How many people are actually changing gear ratios on their XFG equivelants IRL? Maybe 2 or 3? The Radical has more options but still limited compared to LFS.

Graphics - more detailed but fake feeling. Particularly the large dirt embankments. Gives me the feeling of old games where everything goes blank if you step outside of the proper enviornment. Like LFS better in this department.

Safety system - I'll have to try the races, but my experience in practice (which tells you about violations but doesn't actually charge you) seems overdone. This is a game - yes, a game. I don't care that Dale Jr. plays - seemingly a lot!. Real racing is real. In a game, your lacking many sensory inputs you might have in real life. Hence, a little bump here and there and a couple of wheels off the track happen more than they would in real life. Of course lack of consequences has something to do with this, but I have a feeling there system is pushing things a bit far. T1 can be annoying in LFS, but I find most racing in the XFG on random servers is decent enough.

Overall, I'm very interested but weary of paying so much once the demo is over. I like the idea of having a whole team devoted to constant improvement. I wonder how real that "idea" is. As an LFS newbie, I can care less about the new VW. Still, the long dealy in getting out just one car sort of shows that this isn't someone's top priority. Not dissing LFS, I think it's great.
Quote from Jakg :What? That makes no sense. Why do I have to pull over OFFLINE before I can even change control assignments?

Why do I have to close the sodding game, go back to Chrome and then re-open the game just to change cars?

Its just so clunky :X

From your previous comments it made plenty of sense.

And no it's not a pain to close the game to change car etc... Takes about 30 seconds. Plus if you into it, you are in one car for like 20-30 minutes at a time, "wasting" 30 seconds to change into another car is nothing.

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG