The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
They only want your credit card i'd say so you cant keep signing up for the demo under different names, cos i'd say once you use your card on the demo, you cant get the demo again.
-
(D.Zanetti) DELETED by D.Zanetti
Quote from pacesetter :They only want your credit card i'd say so you cant keep signing up for the demo under different names, cos i'd say once you use your card on the demo, you cant get the demo again.

Yeah, I believe they cross-reference your address/card number etc to see if it's been in use before.
-
(D.Zanetti) DELETED by D.Zanetti
might need to upgrade my computer. looks cool, and sounds like a cool game.
#29 - 5haz
Sounds like they're a bit desperate to me.
So... does it work? I don't really want to go through the hassle to give them my data if I don't get a code anyway...
Yes it works. You get the email with the promotional code and have 30 days to activate it (of course the actual one month trial starts only after you do the activation... right?)
Quote from bbman :So... does it work? I don't really want to go through the hassle to give them my data if I don't get a code anyway...

Yes it works, you get a confirmation email immediately. Then a second email with the promotion code in it about 5-10 minutes later.

So far I'd say it's an interesting comparison with LFS. At first the physics do seem to be very similar to ISI Games and very different to LFS, but that was in the SR8 moving to the more road oriented cars brings a completely different feel, with a lot more suspension movement (chasis flex??) going on but without the total lack of grip that goes on in LFS if the suspension is really soft. For example comparing the XRG (non turbo) with the Pontiac Solstice is very revealing. Whereas the XRG handles like a boat and the rear end is all over the place unless you're very careful with the throttle, (with pretty much any set up I've ever tried), the Solstice is far more composed and handles far better with a far more progressive rear end despite being 500lbs heavier and having nearly 40bhp more. I've always questioned the realism of the XRGs handling and the Solstice proves it to me. Feels far more like my real car which has near identical power output and weight, (taking in to consideration the fact my car is FWD of course). So after about an hour messing around on a test track in the cars I'd say iRacing has a (considerably) better car handling model than LFS. It just feels more right to me as a real life car driver. What LFS is definitely better at though is the feedback through the wheel of what the front tyres are doing. But in terms of how the car responds to steering/brake/throttle inputs I'd say iRacing is closer to reality. At least compared to my experience of driving a car purely on the road.
Quote from 5haz :Sounds like they're a bit desperate to me.

I dont think so, its more like they are trying to trick people into leaving the game thinking that their trial is up not realising they are paying still.
Ive done that before and lost over £90. * I was young at the time *

Quote from deggis :Yes it works. You get the email with the promotional code and have 30 days to activate it (of course the actual one month trial starts only after you do the activation... right?)

yeah I believe thats how it works.

Overall im liking the game, but it wont pull me away from LFS. There are many things that are bugging me about the game. But enjoy that free month all
Quote from gezmoor :Just hope I remember to cancel at the end because it's going to have to be damn good to justify spending £15 a month on.

You don't have to wait till the end to cancel your subscription, I believe. You should be able to untick the relevant box right away. Just go to your user cp and have a look.
Quote from Linsen :You don't have to wait till the end to cancel your subscription, I believe. You should be able to untick the relevant box right away. Just go to your user cp and have a look.

Thanks, I had a look and you're right. Under the MyAccount section there is a Cancel/Renew option. In there there is a choice to not "Auto-Renew" the subscription. Job done, I'll keep using it until it runs out.
One question: is the car completely free no strings attached?

i.e. if I sign up to iRacing through either the Radical or the Star Mazda promo, and then buy a subscription, I keep the car as I had bought it?

or rather, when the month is up, the car expires?
"At the end of your one month subscription your membership will automatically renew for another one month subscription at the regular price of $20 per month. You will get to keep your bonus content you received through this offer."

says the email
Interesting, these are not time-limited offers right?

What would be better to pick between the Radical and the Mazda?
Quote from NightShift :Interesting, these are not time-limited offers right?

What would be better to pick between the Radical and the Mazda?

Radical, ALL DAY.
There is so much wrong in this thread I don't know where to start.

First off, the iracing guys love the plebs that join up...its not elitist or exclusive, and they're all very welcoming and responsive on the forums. You also frequently see the staff in the online sessions duking it out with the "plebs" and bsing on the forum.

Second, any form of credit card will work...from prepaid visas to debit cards.

Third, they are not greedy when asking for a credit card on signup. The credit cards are how your identity is formed within the sim. Real names are used both in the sim and on the forums, and credit cards ensure that a real identity is used. They also probably want potential customers, and not potential people trying to get multiple free trials. Without a credit card someone could easily sign up many times.

I think thats the majority of the errors I read when skimming the thread lol. I hope everyone enjoys it...always need more people
Quote from deggis :e.g. they're asking real life racing resume.

Well they ask if you have racing experience, it might be worth a try anyway... maybe embellish it up a bit

has anybody tried?
Thanks Taylo-Mania for the heads up. Joined for the free trial.

I agree with the posters that say the graphics are cartoonish. Very cartoonish, in fact. Much prefer what we have in LFS, plus LFS is easier on the PC

I drove around (and spun too much) in the Solstice on Lime Rock today, and I must say the physics and the feel of the car is very nice. I think I can feel what the car is doing much better than in LFS. Then again, it may just be due to the scanned tracks After iRacing I jumped into the NDR tbo server, and while the racing was much closer and more enjoyable, the cars just didn't exhibit the same level of feel as in iRacing. That said, Aston >>>>> Lime Rock Park.
Quote from piggy501 :What a stupid idea! Do they want customers or not?

If a debit card is the same thing that we have over here, I can say I safely used mine just fine.

One of the primary reasons they want the CC or any other form of 'card' purchase is because they want to know the name you have on the account.... That NAME is what you have while ingame, and everyone is using their real names. It's all pretty professional, and iRacing takes things seriously.

It is well worth the money if you are looking for something that tops all sims right now. And the last thing you'll want to read about iRacing in this forum is where people are complaining of the "colors" of the sim or something stupid like that :rolleyes:. Play the sim, buy extra content, and realize just how bright of a future iRacing has right now. It's stupid not to try it. Papyrus-bred sims have always been the best, and always will be, no matter how bad the criticism. I understand people may not be able to afford it. But whether you have a job or not, save some bloody cash for crying out loud.

RSC is focused on GTR, rFactor, LFS (well a little), and so many other sims... I've nearly thrown out all of those sims just to play iRacing from now on. Old junk. Community elsewhere. Catchya later

EDIT: Oh and both Mazda and Radical are good. Radical is a handful on bumpy tracks too .
Im gonna try this free trial as well. btw, here is possible use multiple free month trial (just use whole familys each own credit card ) and then if you are addicted and dont want to pay then ask from other relatives :P

E: How much its gonna take until they send the Code to me?
Quote from EliteAti :E: How much its gonna take until they send the Code to me?

Soon after the "we will contact you later" email.
Quote from deggis :Soon after the "we will contact you later" email.

how much is soon? i've waited almost 6 hours
Took a good while for me..got the "will contact u" email right away on saturday..but only recieved the code today.
Friend who registered at the same time got his yesterday, so don't despair if it takes a few days.
[quote=gezmoor;1074243]For example comparing the XRG (non turbo) with the Pontiac Solstice is very revealing. Whereas the XRG handles like a boat and the rear end is all over the place unless you're very careful with the throttle, (with pretty much any set up I've ever tried), the Solstice is far more composed and handles far better with a far more progressive rear end despite being 500lbs heavier and having nearly 40bhp more.quote]

I've only been at LFS for about a month, but this is one of my huge gripes. I've generally focussed on the XFG, XRG, XRG turbo and a smattering of other cars. I find the XFG pretty realistic - a spongy (setup dependent), foregiving FWD car. The model for the XRG - and I've tried various setups - is completely out of control. If we're to believe that the same tires are on each car - the ones that allow the XRG to fishtail when not even pushing it - then they should be spinning like crazy on the XFG. I've owned a Boxster and an M Coupe and have never experienced oversteer like that. Granted, the experience was on the road but the XRG fishtails with such ease - not just with 10/10ths driving at the limit. I might be mistaken, but I think you can get around 1g in these cars - that infers really good road tires.
The XRG is rather... "hang on a minute do I have road tyres on the back?", but the XRT is pretty good if you have a decent setup.

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG